U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 16,716 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice on nice places to live between granbury and ft worth I have job offer located in granbury but we have excluded granbury itself do not want small town atmosphere but don't want to be in big city mix either, can anyone recommend where we can begin to search for the just right diverse neighborhoods where I can reach work one hour or less? Also looking for best schools input we have 15 / 7 /2 yrs old children,we appreciate your help/suggestions/warnings etc., Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 PM

10,028 posts, read 21,096,673 times
The only thing between Fort Worth and Granbury is Cresson, and if you think Granbury is too small for you, Cresson is even smaller! The drive from Fort Worth to Granbury is about 25 minutes, and if you drive south every morning, you will be going against traffic.

What is your budget for housing? That will be the big determining factor.

Aledo has excellent schools and is just west of both cities, but the housing there can be expensive.
Granbury really isn't a small town anymore. They have chain restaurants, a big Wal-Mart, and Fort Worth is just 25 minutes away. Many people live in Granbury and drive to Fort Worth every day for work. I would honestly say Granbury is closer to being a suburb or "ex-burb" of Fort Worth.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:24 PM

1,064 posts, read 3,217,660 times
Have you been to Granbury? It isn't exactly that small. Frankly, there is nothing between Granbury and FW unless you count Benbrook (which is part of FW ISD), or maybe Aledo for "larger" towns. Cresson is a blip. Aledo has good schools and if you live on the far east side of Aledo, by 377, it is about a 20 minute drive to Granbury. Are you planning on purchasing a home? That will probably be a factor in where you live also. Stephenville is a larger town, about 40 minutes from Granbury but you will be over an hour from FW and Weatherford is about 45 minutes from Granbury. You also have to remember that alot of the roads are farm roads, depending where you are coming from and could take longer unless you stay on 377. As for diversity, you will find that in larger places, like Fort Worth, but you don't want to live in the city. There are too many variables to what you are looking for. Feel free to IM me if you want.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 16,716 times
First Thank U for your time/response ,my monthly rent/lease budget btw 1200-1400 respectively would prefer short term rental home 4br 2bath deal, my school age children are extremely Bright and both are in accelerated class settings and I don't want them to be delayed academically at all so school setting is near top priority we're originally from Brooklyn NYC but have been living here sall town USA wilmington Ohio and my wife refuses to live somwhere again if she has to travel 40-50 miles to get her hair/nails/ralp lauren shop on,LOL... Also we are wondering ,what's the average monthly utilities cost per 4br house setting? Sorry if it seems like I'm bombarding but we need all the real time 411 we can get, I'll try to format a lil better next time, Thank U Sooooo Much!

Old 05-11-2011, 04:09 PM

1,064 posts, read 3,217,660 times
Ok, I know where Wilmington is. I used to travel to OH frequently for business, especially Cincinnati and Columbus....I made the trip on 71 back and forth numerous times.

Granbury has hair/nail salons, WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes, a great downtown square, a few chain and local restaurants, several grocery stores as well as a HEB coming this summer. It has alot of amenities that anyone could need however, it does not have places like Target, Bed Bath Beyond, higher end stores, a mall or a huge variety of eating out options. From Granbury to the 377, I-20 Benbrook area, the far southwest part of FW, it takes about 25 minutes. The southwest part of FW has alot of amenities that Granbury lacks, a mall, Target, more eating options, etc.

The schools in FWISD are not great, with the exception of a few. I suggest you look at 2010 Accountability Rating System to see how the schools are ranked. Some smaller towns have decent school rankings, like Granbury (which used to have an unacceptable rating, so they have been doing better), Tolar (which is ranked exemplary across the board but is a very small town outside of Granbury) and Aledo. You'll want to stick with schools that are recognized or exemplary, at least in my opinion.

As for your housing budget, I think you are going to have an issue finding a 4 bedroom home, especially in Aledo. You might be able to find something in Benbrook or Fort Worth. I can't answer about the utilities, maybe someone else can help you on that.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM

31,326 posts, read 48,641,435 times
Someone was on here last year or so looking for rental house in Granbury--had lot of trouble finding one--
lot of competition for them apparently because there are few on the market and lot go by word of mouth
Granbury does lack "big name" retail stores--
just Google a map for Granbury then search for stores like Target--you can see how far you would have to drive
closest mall is Hulen--that is hour drive probably

The schools on the SW side of FTISD are not the best--
Paschal HS is excellent school within a school for AP strand students but others are mixed bag and it will be more difficult to transfer into Paschal if you don't live in the zone
middle schools are the nemisis for FTW ISD--they are just not that good
elementary schools do have some better rated (exemplary/recognized)

You might consider Burleson--that town is growing--has no mall as such but does have big box stores and is about 30 min into Hulen area
it is about 40-50 min drive on state roads--no big freeway

Tolar is farther from FTW since it is WEST of Granbury so that does not help with the shopping aspect

Old 05-12-2011, 08:33 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,887,284 times
Were I you, I'd try and check this listing out ASAP and perhaps contact a realtor in Aledo about other possible rentals:

421 E Oak St Aledo TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11585437 - Realtor.comĀ®

Old 02-09-2013, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 875 times
Tolar is your best bet outside the FW area. Small town, countryside is beautiful with large hills and clean air.
It is 45 minutes to FW Hulen Mall. Stephenville is to the west 25 minutes. The schools are excellent. These are
ranching farm kids and drugs are not a problem in this little town. One of the best kept secrets in the DFW area.
Granbury, of course, is only 9 miles to the east, but the better stores are in SW/FW area. Very laid back restful
community. There is little activity outside the schools and churches but Tolar has a community center for their
reunions, lodge meetings, etc.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:55 AM

82 posts, read 196,082 times
Default did you make the move?

just wondering if you ever made the move...and if so how are you liking it...what area did you decide on....how does it compare to Ohio.....?

anyone else move from Ohio...or the northeast....how do you like it there? any insight is appreciated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or