Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 10:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

since we are having so much trouble finding new home to buy, we are considerind some remodeling here and mayby putting some money into lake house that we could use more when DH retires in next few years...
we want to stay witin an hour or two of driving--which really makes the Highland Lakes not do-able even those are beautiful lakes and many are constant level...
Have done a Google and most lakes around here do not seem to be constant level lakes--anyone know of one?
I know rain has helped bring up lake levels generally...
I have done MLS for Lake Granbury and Cedar Creek and Bridgeport and Possum Kingdom...lots of houses/lots but difficult to tell w/o spending lots of time driving around
does anyone know about the Lake Fork Yantis area--there is nice golf couse out that way...
Lake Granbury also has some nice golf courses in area but I read an article several months ago talking about water quality in Lake Granbury which was getting some contaminated seepage from older developments with poor aerobic systems--they weren't designed for full-time residency when established and were getting into some coves on Lake---nasty stuff--the article said it could be significant problem if not stopped and corrective action taken...

Any info/suggestions appreciated...especially how to avoid making mistake in purchase...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 AM

13 posts, read 36,697 times
Watch out for the 3 eyed fish at Lake Benbrook hehe

Old 06-22-2007, 09:35 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
I live in Granbury on the lake. If you have any specific questions, ask away. Granbury is growing and there are lots of beautiful homes on the lake. There are several new subdivisions going up around the lake. For the better areas, it would probably cost you from at least $600,000 to well over $1,000,000 for a lake front home. Lots/land also vary from location. The better locations will cost you well over $300,000 to $450,00 for an one acre waterfront lot. We actually own 2 lakefront lots also.

Forth Worth side is more desirable for obvious reasons (location to FTW). It all depends on what you are looking for though. There are SEVERAL golf courses which surprised me because of the size of Granbury. We actually live across the street from one of the golf courses on the lake. There are a lot of retirees living here and a lot of people owning second homes on or around the lake.

It is a safe and quite town. It has a historical square. My favorite restaurant is located at the square "Stringfellows".

They are beginning to limit docks. I'm not sure of how it all works but we have a boat dock and our 2 lots also are able to have a boat dock. But this is something new and you would need to check into it, if you buy a property on the lake that does not have an existing dock on it.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:51 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Close to 40 years ago Lake Granbury was a very nice hide-away place to be. As the last poster said it has growth everywhere now. It's become almost an extension to the DFW area, whereas before it was definitely it's own little area.

One thing to consider is what you want from the lake. Do you want a place to boat, fish, swim or just enjoy the view and surroundings. Do you want a fast getaway place, or a weekend trip kinda place? Things like that. Also, consider which are run by the Corp of Engineers, as that puts limitations on what can be done there.

Granbury is a long slim man made lake that follows the original Brazos River flow. It's great for water skiing, not as great for fishing. Beautiful scenery, but getting very clogged up with residential areas.

Eagle Mountain lake is great for boating in general, a few good places for fishing and some fun areas on the lake. Housing is intermittant.

Possum Kingdom is really great for camping and fishing, not sure about houses on it. Last time I was out that way, albeit a long time ago, everything had that run down look and feel for the most part.

Other areas further away you man want to consider Lake Texoma, Lake Whitney, Lake Tawakoni...just to think of a few off the top of my head.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 22,652 times
Greetings All!!! I am moving BACK TO TEXAS really soon...YEah! However, I don't know anything about relocating to the area we're moving to. I am wanting a quiet country setting, on water somewhere between Jacksboro and Weatherford, TX. I'm in love with nature and want it all around me. I don't want to be in a neighborhood or around many people. So what would those of you in the area recommend? Also, I don't want to spend much on a place, so please advise?. What about around Mineral Wells, Graford area???
I love reading these because you people give such great information. I appreciate any and all replies... Enjoy your day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth