Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,530 times

Advertisements

My husband I signed a rental agreement on a privately owned home a few months ago. While the home is nice it has needed a couple of repairs at which the landlord has been quick to respond and rectify. We were lead to believe by the landlord that the area was quiet, safe and family freindly but we are finding out that no it is not by any means. Less then a week after we moved in a few items were stolen out of my husbands truck. A week later there was a physical altercation right outside my bedroom window. Since then there has been several more. We have had high speed cases passing the house on more then one occasion, the most recent one being a lil over a week ago and ending with one gun shot fired, and cops surrounding a guy with guns drawn. Shortly after we moved in I discovered that one year ago a young boy was kidnapped just one block over, and killed. I have 3 kids and I am in fear for them as well as my self. There is also a womens shelter for abused women next door and there have been altercations there too due to women sneaking in the men that reportedly beat them. I don't get it, how could they tell us this was a safe area especially when they moved out and we moved in a few days later. We just payed our 3rd months rents and in just this short time all these things have happened. I believe they intentionally lied to get us in the place. I there anything we can do to get out of this unsafe home, Let me add that we have been notified by local police that there is a meth dealer a few blocks over but they wont touch him due to the fact that he is an informant. It;s never ending and I really dont wanna wait for it to get worse or for something bad to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Where is this house?

Old 06-02-2011, 05:09 AM

119 posts, read 347,936 times
Id talk to a lawyer who deals in real estate/rental property.
Im so sorry for what you are having to deal with.
Like ChristieP asked ... where is this house/neighborhood?

Old 06-02-2011, 05:16 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
It seems you forgot to do your due diligence in investigating the neighborhood and crime reports before you moved in. The landlord is simply offering a house for rent- caveat emptor; he is not responsible for and has no control over what happens in the area.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Let me add that we have been notified by local police that there is a meth dealer a few blocks over but they wont touch him due to the fact that he is an informant.
Why do I feel this is something out of Breaking Bad
this is little too contrived--would be very interested to know the address--

Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 AM

119 posts, read 347,936 times
Let me add that we have been notified by local police that there is a meth dealer a few blocks over but they wont touch him due to the fact that he is an informant.

Being the stepmother of 2 Sheriff Deputies, I know that there is no way you would be
entitled to this confidential information.

How is it, that the local police, shared this undercover info with you? That is
not in the creed, as if they told you this, they have put your family in danger
and jeopardized their efforts.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 AM

The house in in Mineral Wells Texas

Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaBar833 View Post
My husband I signed a rental agreement on a privately owned home a few months ago. While the home is nice it has needed a couple of repairs at which the landlord has been quick to respond and rectify. We were lead to believe by the landlord that the area was quiet, safe and family freindly but we are finding out that no it is not by any means. Less then a week after we moved in a few items were stolen out of my husbands truck. A week later there was a physical altercation right outside my bedroom window. Since then there has been several more. We have had high speed cases passing the house on more then one occasion, the most recent one being a lil over a week ago and ending with one gun shot fired, and cops surrounding a guy with guns drawn. Shortly after we moved in I discovered that one year ago a young boy was kidnapped just one block over, and killed. I have 3 kids and I am in fear for them as well as my self. There is also a womens shelter for abused women next door and there have been altercations there too due to women sneaking in the men that reportedly beat them. I don't get it, how could they tell us this was a safe area especially when they moved out and we moved in a few days later. We just payed our 3rd months rents and in just this short time all these things have happened. I believe they intentionally lied to get us in the place. I there anything we can do to get out of this unsafe home, Let me add that we have been notified by local police that there is a meth dealer a few blocks over but they wont touch him due to the fact that he is an informant. It;s never ending and I really dont wanna wait for it to get worse or for something bad to happen.
Yup, you can pay off the rest of your lease and move on. It's not the landlord's fault that you failed to check out the neighborhood. He's kept his own property maintained, and you're happy with him. So how is the neighborhood his responsibility?

You're story changes a few times here. First, he led you to believe. Then he outright lied to. Which is it? It sounds like you found a cheap house, and now it's not what you truly had in mind, and want to break a legal agreement with no ramifications to you. That's not the way the world works.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Also I did look online at the crime statistics and so forth was said to be a decent area with no crime. Nothing came up! As far as police it was a retired officer that informed my husband as well as the post man told us the same thing and exactly where he lived and said that nothing will be done, so not to get our hopes up. When looking into the kidnapping of the lil boy we found that the officers here have very lil tolerance for crimes involving children and gave him the chance to run ( law of flight), a few hours later he was caught and killed by officers. This town is very red neck in thier beliefs and which I agree the guy got what was comin and I agree with them basically gunning him down. But on the other hand if you voice your opinion or try to cross them they will make your life a living hell. As far as being able to find information about the crime rate in this town, if it is true that cops are paid off and criminals left to do what they want. Who's to say information hasn't been hidden and covered up. Hell now days that is simple to do! We were in a bind and do to jobs we had to move all within a month and was very difficult to find a home for rent within a 30 mile radius of the area.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 AM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,637 times
With all due respect, the fact that you were in a bind and had to find something quickly is not the landlord's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth