U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:34 PM

47 posts, read 92,540 times

Advertisements

justdeb,

I'm trying to set up my utilities as well. Yes, very overwhelming. Even with the powertochoose link, I still don't really "get it." I may just choose a short term contract for now. Thank goodness the gas company is just a matter of changing the name! Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 09:25 PM

119 posts, read 322,988 times
sara -
How are things coming along with your move? What date do you fly out there?
Will you let me know what utility companies you go with?
Are you getting nervous at all about the move?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 PM

119 posts, read 322,988 times
RnC- where in Florida are you moving from?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,457 times
Default Anyone tried an Evaporative Cooler in DFW?

My A/C bills are killing me, and I have a neighbor that has a swamp cooler and loves it.. yet I don't particularly believe that they work in this area... would love to have something to reduce the elec bill, and just for spot/room cooling.

I just checked the relative humidity and it's about 42% when I hear is not that bad..

Has anyone tried these? Any feedback you could provide?

Old 06-10-2011, 06:33 PM

168 posts, read 579,520 times
I'm also overwhelmed by it. We're moving in a month and I'm planning to sit down one day and just muddle through everything.

I live in S. FL and keep the house at 72 and our bill here averages $250 in the summer....so we're prepared for the expense.

Hubby likes it cold though....but we don't really heat in the winter, so it averages out.

One thing you could do (what I am doing) is looking at your KwH usage at your current house to get an idea. For example, here in S. FL we pay approx. 4.5 cents per Kw for fuel and another 4.5 cents for non-fuel (whatever that is).

Of course, there are so many variables. Our condo faces east and we're right on the ocean, so lots of heat in the AM.

Last edited by twiggers; 06-10-2011 at 07:05 PM..

Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 PM

Quick question:

What is the big difference between fixed and variable?

Is it just that variable means the more you use, the less you pay (i.e., 0-500 = .06; 501-1000 = .05, 1000+ = .04, etc.)? Or does it mean they can change the price per Kw any time?

Also, is the price per Kw the total price? Here in FL they break it down to fuel and non-fuel. So it looks cheap, but it's really doubled because they break it down.

I just don't want to lock myself in for a year and then something weird happens.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 AM

13,180 posts, read 14,013,566 times
As an owner of eight rental properties I can say your A/C should not run 24/7.

Trouble shoot in this order.

Does inside filter need replacing?

Is the outside fan unit dirty? Wash with high pressure hose just close enough to remove build up but not so close as to damage cooling fins.

If you've done this and the air still feels warm..it' likely low on refrigerant....

And that could be very costly if it's a leak.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 AM

295 posts, read 889,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggers View Post
I live in S. FL and keep the house at 72 and our bill here averages $250 in the summer....so we're prepared for the expense.

Hubby likes it cold though....but we don't really heat in the winter, so it averages out.
wow. 72 will likely kill you in texas. I had a neighbor that also liked it "cold" and got slapped with an $800 bill a couple summers ago. Also, DFW does get cold in the winter so forget about your bills "averaging out"...

My suggestion is, start working on your husband's habits and have him understad that 72 is just not realistic in texas... .. more like 75 and that's already expensive. Most people set it around 78F and 3 degrees higher upstairs.

Last edited by jcamber; 06-13-2011 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 04:43 PM

Well, I'm not sure why not jcamber?

We kept it at this temp in CA, IN, and FL. The cost per kwh in TX is comparable to the cost in S. Florida (actually a little cheaper). So our bills would/should be the same. Unless there are some weird hidden fees in TX. But a kw is a kw is a kw.

If I use 1300 kw in FL at 72 degrees in a highrise unit that faces due east and is right on the water (thus we have quite a bit of exposure to the sun) with thin curtains....and I move to TX in a unit that is 300 sq. ft. smaller, doesn't face east, has better window shades, then I should be about the same or even save myself some money.

We're well accustomed to paying over $200/month in the summer....so there shouldn't be much of a shock. Now, if we were moving from IN to TX, then maybe....electricity was VERY cheap in the midwest. But we're coming from a very high cost of living city.

Oh, and unless the nighttime low dips below 35 degrees...we don't use heat. We don't even have a heater in FL...so based on average temps in TX, we might use the heat for 2-3 months and again, we only heat up to about 68 degrees.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,181,773 times
Quote:
unless the nighttime low dips below 35 degrees...we don't use heat. We don't even have a heater in FL...so based on average temps in TX, we might use the heat for 2-3 months and again, we only heat up to about 68 degrees.
We had over 2 weeks last year with temps below 20. You will run your heat here, homes are not insulated all that well AND pipes can be on exposed north walls and uninsulated running through the attic. They will freeze when temps go below freezing ofr extended periods of time.
We have winter here, we get snow, ice etc... it just doesn't hang around for long like in the North.
But for about 3 months it is winter.
We keep our thrmo set at 68 at night and when no one is home it will go up to 70-72 during the evening when we are all here.

Also condos usually have 2 walls that are insulated by neighboring units, not like a SFH.
What is your sqft of your condo?

I am on the yearly avg plan...3200sqft (2 story) 2 a/c units) themo set at 79-80 during the day and upstair 78 at night downstairs 77 at night. we avg 230.00 per month. without the monthly budget plan...our bills in July and Aug would be around 400.00+. However this year the high temps have really hit EARLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth