U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM

168 posts, read 362,797 times

Advertisements

The apartment we are moving to will be approx. 1000-1100 sq. ft.

We're currently in 1300-1400 sq. ft. During the summer months in S. FL (temps feel like 100ish) we average 2000 kwh. In the winter that goes down to about 900. With the off months being 1200-1300 (when temps are in the 70s/80s).

Our kwh charges in S. Florida are approximately .05 cents for fuel and .05 cents for nonfuel. Which I'm guessing total to ~.10/kwh.

If TX electric rates are just this flat rate of X/kwh and not doubled like my bill in FL is, then I should be exactly the same, give or take a bit.

My peak usage appears to be 7 PM on a daily basis (likely due to TV, computers, etc. being used) and Fridays are my highest usage, followed by Sat/Sun.

If, however, TX rates are a certain amount for fuel and for non-fuel (like FL is), then I can expect my bill to double.

The bolded piece is the one that I can't seem to get an answer for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 PM

2,906 posts, read 4,170,466 times
twiggers, there are far more factors involved in projecting an electric bill total.

Most likely the apartment is all electric, so both heat and A/C will be electric. Many houses have natural gas for heat and often for water heater and some for stoves. That can make a big difference in winter bills versus summer bills.

I live in a 1430 sq ft house, all electric, we are here 24/7 and I am keeping the thermostat on 80. The bill from 5/5/11 to 6/6/11 (before we hit truly the higher temps) showed us using 1941 KWH.

Depending on what company you choose and the rate you get.....your bill like this one, without the additional charges listed below, could be anywhere between $135 and $291
Then add on the various other charges for this month of $18 and that would make your total anywhere from $153 to $309.

This bill is about $80 higher than last months...and next months will be even higher and then the next higher again, before we start to go back down some....

Oh, and I had a bill two winters ago that we used 2600 KWH 2600!! Never in my life had I ever had a month with that much usage! It was higher than any of my summer months have been. Ever!
It was a very snowy december, with temps staying low for extended lengths of time.......talk about price shock!

Old 06-14-2011, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 24,514 times
Twiggers:

As stated before, check out Power to Choose where you can compare electric providers, and you can see the energy prices we pay. No, nothing is split or doubled, you just pay the rate shown. Keep in mind that plans without contracts can vary to a high degree, so you may like the stability of a contract.

-Derek

Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 PM

dereknor: Thank you for clarifying that the rate is the rate. I was somewhat worried about extra kwh charges.

hypocore: Our current condo is also all electric. The current high rise is a little newer than the place we're moving (by about 3-4 years) and with hurricane windows.

IDK, when we lived in a regular house (1400 up and 1400 down) we never broke 2200 kwh and we always keep it at 72-75 degrees. I'm just having a really hard time imagining that our usage would change that much, given the comparable climates.

Too bad you couldn't track usage throughout the month to see....

Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 PM

5,445 posts, read 6,487,380 times
If you have an electric hot water heater, that will eat up the kilowatts!

Most apts have electric hot water heaters. If you can, try to figure out how to turn it off during the day if you're not home. I found the breaker that controlled mine, shut it off at night when I went to bed, just turned it on for a few hours during the evening for showers, etc, in the evening. I found that saved at least $50/month.

I've always found electric bills to be sky-high in TX, regardless of what I do. Its just a monster bill! Its HOT here in the summers, and, depending on where you're at, its humid as well. You simply need that AC, that's all there is to it. Just do your best to keep it as high as you can tolerate, do what you can to conserve, and just realize its HOT here!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 AM

I guess I am just flummoxed.

I live in a HOT and HUMID climate. One of the most humid in the country. I have electric hot water, set to the hottest setting and keep my AC at a set amount.

If I use X amount of kwh in city A, why would it magically double or triple when I move to city B, especially given the comparable climates?

Everyone on here keeps saying it is so expensive, but maybe compared to nearby states or something?

I remember people said this when we first moved to FL...."expect your AC bill to be at least $300" and we never broke $250.

I'll guess we'll see that first month in TX, since it will be the hottest month (mid-July to mid-August).

We're currently 97 degrees in Miami with approx. 80-90% humidity....so it's pretty comparable to TX.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:33 AM

271 posts, read 570,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggers View Post
Well, I'm not sure why not jcamber?

We kept it at this temp in CA, IN, and FL. The cost per kwh in TX is comparable to the cost in S. Florida (actually a little cheaper). So our bills would/should be the same. Unless there are some weird hidden fees in TX. But a kw is a kw is a kw.

If I use 1300 kw in FL at 72 degrees in a highrise unit that faces due east and is right on the water (thus we have quite a bit of exposure to the sun) with thin curtains....and I move to TX in a unit that is 300 sq. ft. smaller, doesn't face east, has better window shades, then I should be about the same or even save myself some money.

We're well accustomed to paying over $200/month in the summer....so there shouldn't be much of a shock. Now, if we were moving from IN to TX, then maybe....electricity was VERY cheap in the midwest. But we're coming from a very high cost of living city.

Oh, and unless the nighttime low dips below 35 degrees...we don't use heat. We don't even have a heater in FL...so based on average temps in TX, we might use the heat for 2-3 months and again, we only heat up to about 68 degrees.
Well I guess there are many factors not just the temperature. The size of the house is one, its efficiency another one, whether you have trees, shade, which direction it faces, etc. I will say this, I have yet to hear from anybody here in texas that pays around $200 a month with a 72 degree temperature. Then again, I don't know anybody that lives in a small condo.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:08 PM

Thanks! Almost all of the factors will be the same (approx. age of unit, age of appliances).....in fact, we are directly east right now with floor to ceiling windows. I can't imagine a more inefficient apartment than where we are now given that the sun beats directly in from sunrise to approx. noon.

I guess the biggest difference might be efficiency of appliances (current unit has some high end appliances in it).

Maybe I'll search for my electric meter in TX and track usage over the month.....just to see when/if we break our highest usage in FL.

Nothing worse than expecting a $250 bill and getting a $500. Although I guess it is what it is!

I couldn't imagine being in this heat and having the place at 78! Wow....that's really warm!! Sometimes the 72-75 gets a little chilly, but after being in 100 degree weather with humidity, it feels real good!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,704,247 times
250.00 bill for for 1100sqft is VERY high.
So if that is what you are currently paying, no I don't see that changing ofr the worse.

when I wasn't on budget plan maine ran from 340-420 for 3200sqft 2 units almost triple your sqft. So with your prices and settings in my house...that would cost me about 700.00 to cool my house to 72. NO thanks!
Like I said I pay aprox 230.00 per month for 3200sqft. temps set in a range from 77-80 depending on time of day. With the work we just had done...77 is actually preety chilly in the evening!! lol

Old 06-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Thanks 5stones! Yea, we're just us, with no kids....so thankfully we never have a need to have that much square footage! If I had that big of a house, you can bet I would be turning down the AC too!

Fortunately, we're used to that price....so if it stays that way, we're happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth