Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:03 AM

119 posts, read 347,826 times

Advertisements

Thanks ... I guess its just so hard, being so far away and not having a chance
to actually drive out there, look around, etc., prior to us moving out there.

I had looked at Argyle from the Google Maps ... didnt seem to have many homes. ?
Im off to check out those other towns on Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 12:36 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Granbury is very rural with a lot of local history (they have an excellent genealogy website if you are in that sort of thing). The town square is quite interesting and fun. I'm not so sure that the lake hasn't had a negative effect on some of that small town feel. I know nothing about the current school district, I only know that I enjoyed the area when I used to go over there. I knew a lady who needlepointed one of the chairs at the Opera House, she loved it.

Waxahachie always had that small town appeal to me (again rural). Beautiful place, but know nothing about living there. Just know I love to visit it.

Hurst, Benbrook and FM are all pretty metroplex-ey, not what I would consider rural. Very nice though.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:52 AM

Thanks ...

I dont want rural or isolation, ... I just want that 'small town feel'.

Where all the essentials are within 1-3 miles.

Small Town USA ...

Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
I think you can find that small town feel within most cities and it depends on what your definition of small town feel is.

I've either lived in or been in quite a bit very rural areas, small towns and larger cities. Each can 'feel' the same way, depending what you are looking for and what you make of it.

You've got areas like Granbury which started out as very small town, vacation homes and country based. It's grown by leaps. I remember when it didn't even have a Walmart! haha It still has a very small town atmosphere, with the quaint shops in the town square, people waving at you as they pass by, lots of walking traffic and some charming buildings. However, it's become more business oriented and has heavy focus on tourism that can take away from the feel of close knit community.

Benbrook used to be the outskirts of Fort Worth and had areas that were very rural and small town settings. Now you can pass into the city and not even realize you did so as they both bleed into one another.

What I've found is that within Tarrant County you can find 'pockets' of areas that fit what you are looking for.

It might be an area where people get to know most of the people who live and shop regularly in the area and where you can get the basics-which is what I consider a small town feel.
Or it can be an area where you feel more isolated from the city and have to go a bit further to find what you need.
Or it can even be an area where everything you might want is within 5 miles of your house.

I'm in North Richland Hills. Everything I want/need on a regular basis is within 10 miles of my house, most within 5 miles. (my bank is about 10 miles because I don't want to change it! lol) There is North East Mall for retail shopping. There is Rave or Cinemark theater. There are restaurants/fast food places galore down Rufe Snow, Denton Hwy, Bedford Euless Road, Aiport Freeway and all in between. I can hit up 3 different Krogers, Walmarts or Targets, or I can go to Albertsons, Tom Thumb, or Aldi's for groceries. There is a fantastic library in the city, city events for the family or the kids, a family water park, lots of city parks, youth sports and my kids schools are less than 2 miles from my house.

However, I can sit in my yard and not feel like the city is closing in on me. I can sit outside and hear very little traffic besides what is on my street. Sometimes I can hear the local sports teams being cheered in the evenings or a train nearby. The kids from the neighborhood tend to gather in my front yard when the weather is nice. Sometimes people wave as they drive by the house or as I pass them while they are walking down the sidewalk.

All I have to do is hit a main road and I can get anywhere I need to be. But I can still come home to my little piece of home for some peace and quiet.

So, my own version of small town feel works for me. But it might be too much city for you....it just depends. lol

Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 PM

It might be an area where people get to know most of the people who live and shop regularly in the area and where you can get the basics-which is what I consider a small town feel.

That is exactly what I am looking for. You hit it head on.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
you aren't going to find that in any of the towns around here--
they are too large and spread out
you MIGHT get to know people in your neighborhood but Granbury is a fairly large town and so are all the others
they have many subdivisions and places that people shop
I have lived in this neighborhood in Hurst (just across Hwy 26 from NRHills) for two years--shop locally for everything really-groceries at stores that are half mile from my house--use NEMall for most other shopping or the local Targets--
almost NEVER see anyone I know--from my neighborhood or even people we have know who live in others subdivisions

MOST of the people I know who do see people they know when we are out are involved in their churches--
and we are not--and my husband works in FTW not in Hurst area
so if you really want to get to know your local neighbors--your best bet is to join a fairly large church in the area and become active in it

Old 06-13-2011, 07:04 PM

211 posts, read 494,834 times
I have lived in Fort Worth for 40 yrs. including the time I went to TCU. Not a day goes by that I don't see someone I know....whether it's in a restaurant, a store, the gas station, dentist office, Target, you name it. I have been very blessed to have made and maintained a large circle of friends over the years. Now my children and my friends' children are marrying and moving back into our neighborhoods to start their families. These neighborhoods are all over Fort Worth--TCU, Tanglewood, Ridglea, Arlington Heights, Park Hill, many others. Fort Worth feels like a very small town to me.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM

119 posts, read 215,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDeb View Post

That is exactly what I am looking for. You hit it head on.
I have this in the middle of the city. I live in Ridglea and when we go to the grocery store people greet us by name and my toddler gives some of the clerks she knows best a hug!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 PM

211 posts, read 494,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunebloc View Post
I have this in the middle of the city. I live in Ridglea and when we go to the grocery store people greet us by name and my toddler gives some of the clerks she knows best a hug!
I love Ridglea.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
You most certainly will find it in many of the cities here! If you are open to meeting new people, take the time to chat a bit, you very quickly become acquainted with each other and can get that small town feel!

You can easily know most of your neighbors. You can become friendly with people who work in any establishment you frequent. You can also get to know many of the kids and their parents at your child's school.

Just a few examples......I volunteer in the elementary school and have been on the PTA executive board before, so I get to know kids throughout the entire elementary school, and many of the parents recognize me at the very least. I don't wait in my car in line at the school for dismissal, I get out and get to know other parents who are out there also waiting.
My kids and I go to the library weekly and know some of the staff very well, always greeted warmly and do in return the same.
I am recognized by many people who work at Walmart and Aldis because I am in there often enough, especially during times where we don't have to be rushed and can visit while there.

Sure, there are tons of people I don't know and don't talk to, but that doesn't take away from the feeling gotten from the friendly areas we do frequent and participate in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth