Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,258 times

Advertisements

My hubby & I are moving to DFW area in August. He has to start work there August 15th. His company's offices are on Central Expressway in Dallas.

We are looking for a place to rent in Keller, NRH or Watauga area. We liked those areas & have friends that live in Watauga. How would his commute be?? Google shows about 40 min from Watauga & about hour and 20 in traffic which is what he is used to now.

Also any advise on the best way to rent a house from here? Have never had to rent a house with out seeing it in person.

Thanks!!

Bre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 AM

333 posts, read 639,049 times
Why would you live in Keller if he works on Central Expressway? An hour and 20 minutes is probably an understatement with all the construction and the fact that it's REALLLY far away...

Old 06-14-2011, 10:12 AM

269 posts, read 575,019 times
Oh gosh, you're severely under-estimating the commute time, even with traffic!. There is major construction going on around the DFW airport, but even after that is completed in a few years, I would envisage a 90 mins drive each way from Keller.

You say you're renting, then why not rent a house closer to his job, Coppell is an effluent area with very good schools, try that or other areas closer!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntjnky View Post
My hubby & I are moving to DFW area in August. He has to start work there August 15th. His company's offices are on Central Expressway in Dallas.

We are looking for a place to rent in Keller, NRH or Watauga area. We liked those areas & have friends that live in Watauga. How would his commute be?? Google shows about 40 min from Watauga & about hour and 20 in traffic which is what he is used to now.

Also any advise on the best way to rent a house from here? Have never had to rent a house with out seeing it in person.

Thanks!!

Bre

Old 06-14-2011, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,258 times
Part of it, is being around friends/family and we like the area as well. Hubby has a stable job but has thought about looking for something else after we get there so the commute is probably not long term anyways. Also the commute is only 3 days a week with a 6am-3pm schedule.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 AM

394 posts, read 1,257,070 times
I have to agree with everyone else on this one: Don't do it. Look closer to the job for a place to live. Improve hubby's life. Seek something better than what "he is used to now."

-Eric

Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
I live in Keller an although we really like it, NO WAY would I subject my husband or myself to that commute. Traffic and construction are going to be a real PITA for the next few years.

While I understand living close to family and friends is nice (we finally live close to family) but I would not want to live in the same town...too much of a goodthing!

I would seriously look at the midcities area or Grapevine. You would be centally located for the job but still only about 20 mins or so from family and friends in Watagua.

AND I would NOT rent anywhere sight unseen. Watgua has some run down areas, areas that back commercial areas etc... I would really want to drive through a neighborhood etc... and walk through a house before renting. Most SFH rentals will not run by a mgt company like apartments, all sorts of issues could be present.

I suggest you stay in an extended stay hotel for a couple of weeks while you look the area over and drive the commute.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
Which part of Central Expressway?

My husband commuted from North Richland Hills to about 75 and 635. He left at 6 AM most of the time arrived at work at 7 AM, but if there was an accident or unknown construction detours, then later than that. He left work at 4 PM and it was a solid hour if there were NO delays of any sort. More often it was an hour and a half.

It was still a killer commute. He was gone from home for at the very least 11 hours. The cost for gas at almost $4/gallon was bank breaking, then you add in the wear and tear on the car.....and it just wasn't a good thing.

Thankfully they finally began a telecommuting from home job for all in his department!

Many parts of C.E. are not nearly as easily accessible as where he went.......

Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 AM

10 posts, read 28,042 times
Wow. No way I'd ever make that commute. Not even on flex schedule just a few days a week. Unless I didn't like my family, that is!

I travel the freeways and tollways of DFW a whole lot, and if it were me I'd rent a place very near to Central. Then he can look for a gig in Tarrant County if that's what he wants to do, and when your lease is up you move there.

Not long ago it took me 3.5 hours to go from Richardson to I35W at 820. And that's not the only time something like that has happened...all it takes is for a wreck in a construction zone, which will usually trigger one or two more minor wrecks and it just takes forever to get anywhere. Of course there are alternative routes, but none of them are particularly good alternatives.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:16 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
I recommend you consider Valley Ranch or Euless. You could take the Bush to Central and still be an ok drive to the people you'd like to be close to. It would still, however, be a pretty bad daily commute. If it were me, I'd be looking in Richardson, North Dallas or Plano.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:24 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
I cannot even imagine trying to drive from Keller to Richardson on a daily basis! NO WAY! That commute would be absolutely horrible. You are aware that the part of 635 from the High Five to I-35E is undergoing a total reconstruction that will last FOUR years, right? That will only make the commute worse!

I agree that Valley Ranch, Richardson, north Dallas or Plano would be viable alternatives. Euless would be too far southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth