U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 20,342 times

Advertisements

I current live in Keller. We have been here for 4 years. I have a son going into 4th grade and am looking to find a better school for when he enters 5th grade next year. I was wondering if there were any excellent private schools for him to attend that will challenge him. Right now, school is a breeze for him. He is in the Excel program, but I feel he can do so much more. Any advice would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 01:08 PM

27,461 posts, read 44,959,956 times
try to get him into Westlake IB Academy--definitely higher achieving kids--but no guarantee he will get accepted--not done by test scores ...

Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,384,279 times
Fort Worth Country Day School used to be the best private school in FW. I don't know if that's still true or not.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:54 PM

26 posts, read 144,977 times
Several families I know in both the G/CISD and Carroll school districts send their children to Oakridge Academy. The Oakridge School - The Premier Private School in Arlington, Texas

I am impressed with the students I know that are enrolled there, but I really don't know a lot about their curriculum or standards, so unwilling to give it a blanket endorsement. I'm always curious about parents who would pay the high taxes in these school districts but not utilize the schools.

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-08-2007, 06:42 AM

high taxes are the come-along people pay to live in fairly restrictive-people-like-us, what-they-consider-safe communities where property values stay high and they believe appreciation will continue...
they might have to send their older children to private schools because they have made the rounds of public schools and have had some "issues"

Old 08-08-2007, 08:31 AM

I have no doubts that some "problem" students do end up at private schools, but the better academies have admission requirements that would weed out troublemakers. It's not likely that a parent with an uncontrolled teen would be able to enroll them in the likes of Cistercian (Irving), Oakridge(Arlington), or Country Day School (Fort Worth). Places like Winfree Academy (charter schools) seem to absorb those students quite well.

Another private school that I hear very good things about is St. John's in North Richland Hills. It is a Catholic-based school, so other considerations there beyond academics -- it's not necessarily a good fit for all families (and same for Cistercian, a fine all-male academy but also Catholic-based).

None of the students I know who attend (or have attended) private schools could, in any way, be considered to have "issues." They're bright, well-mannered, kind-hearted young people, and I'm proud to have my children associate with them. However, because they attend schools that are not the same as the other students' schools in the neighborhood, they do get left out of a lot of activities that the other kids are involved with. Feelings of isolation and "being different" are very, very tough on teenagers. I question whether the perceived advantages of a private school outweigh the advantages of attending a local school when (a) it's well-rated, (b) one's tax dollars are paying for it anyway, and (c) the student would have the opportunity to be a part of the community in which he/she resides.

I don't get the idea that OP's 4th-grader is trouble waiting to happen, he/she just wants to find a school where the son will be challenged. I think my first trip would be to the office of the present school and find out why the "excel" program is a breeze for his/her child. And is it a bad thing to have a child who's not struggling to succeed??

Old 08-09-2007, 12:25 AM

isn't the Oakridge school the one that is closing and won't refund any money prepaid for this coming year's tuition--
what school was in paper this past week for doing that???

Old 08-09-2007, 06:58 AM

Nope, not Oakridge.

"TRACI SHURLEY Star-Telegram staff writer
Parents who paid thousands of dollars for their children to attend St. Alban's Episcopal School in Arlington aren't being offered refunds, even though classes for the upcoming year were canceled this week, one trustee said Friday. The school is expected to file for bankruptcy soon, said Bill Johnston, a parent who has been a member of the school's board since October." Star-Telegram.com, 08/04/07

Old 08-09-2007, 07:31 AM

thanks--was just too lazy to google for myself...

Old 08-10-2007, 06:23 PM

145 posts, read 569,021 times
What about St. Vincent's? Anyone know anything about the quality of their program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or