U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:54 AM

27,441 posts, read 44,934,740 times

Advertisements

why are you posting a Fort Worth question on a DALLAS board---most people here don't know that much about FTW except what they read in the paper or hear on the news...Dallas and FTW may look close together on a map but they are not that close in many other ways----
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 27,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I am coming to Dallas next week to check out some neighborhoods in the NE part of Dallas, but I was wondering what Ft Worth is like?! If I was to judge Ft Worth based on what I see on COPS, I would say, it is ghetto city full of crime, murder and illegal aliens etc and the cops are total rednecks!. I was watching an old episode of COPS in Ft Worth last night and it is probably one of the only episodes I have ever seen when a cop walks out on 2 murder victims laying on the floor. I am sorry if my view is stereotypical, but I guess I have seen so much tragedy out of Ft Worth on TV, I guess, I will find out for myself next week, any opinions are appreciated
Hi there,

Actually, Ft. Worth is a very nice place to live. I myself have just recently moved to the dallas/ft.worth area. All I can say its like any other state. Everything has its good and bad, it just depends where you are at. The people are very friendly out here and I must say the state in extremely big & clean. But being born in New York, people are not rude out here. Lived in Florida for almost 30 years and just like here, you won't know who your neighbors are.

On a negative note, prepare yourself. Not much to do out here unlike other cities where you can just go to a park and listen to a band or take a walk to just meet people. It is very hot and I've noticed the parks don't have any trees to sit under a shade. Everything here it seems, requires money. Jobs are extremely hard to find. The mojority of the companies are under staffing companies so the chances of you making a decent living, they will get their portion and the rest are employment for sales, mostly in insurance with commission. Although the cost of living is much less, give yourself plenty of time to look for employment unless fast food place is OK for you. In other words, don't come on a budget. Companies out here don't seem to have the professionalism to reply when you leave a message for status when you apply. By the way, there is no public transportation (only in Dallas), other than a cab which will cost you plenty since everything is so far.

Good luck to you, I know I still need some.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:07 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,597,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivyl View Post
Hi there,

Actually, Ft. Worth is a very nice place to live. I myself have just recently moved to the dallas/ft.worth area. All I can say its like any other state. Everything has its good and bad, it just depends where you are at. The people are very friendly out here and I must say the state in extremely big & clean. But being born in New York, people are not rude out here. Lived in Florida for almost 30 years and just like here, you won't know who your neighbors are.

On a negative note, prepare yourself. Not much to do out here unlike other cities where you can just go to a park and listen to a band or take a walk to just meet people. It is very hot and I've noticed the parks don't have any trees to sit under a shade. Everything here it seems, requires money. Jobs are extremely hard to find. The mojority of the companies are under staffing companies so the chances of you making a decent living, they will get their portion and the rest are employment for sales, mostly in insurance with commission. Although the cost of living is much less, give yourself plenty of time to look for employment unless fast food place is OK for you. In other words, don't come on a budget. Companies out here don't seem to have the professionalism to reply when you leave a message for status when you apply. By the way, there is no public transportation (only in Dallas), other than a cab which will cost you plenty since everything is so far.

Good luck to you, I know I still need some.
Ivyl, you keep posting how hard it is to find employment. What is your profession?

Old 08-11-2007, 10:19 PM

458 posts, read 2,512,007 times
Every city has its bad areas including Fort Worth, but as a whole, no, the city isn't a giant ghetto.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:48 PM

1,379 posts, read 5,811,166 times
Nooo..we are all cowboys, cowgirls and all own oil, cows and have big hair.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:32 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,041,458 times
The SE part of FW is ghetto. I got lost there my 1st month living in FW when I moved to TX last year. I was trying to get out of downtown and wound up in a shady 'hood. I was too scared to ask for directions and eventually made it back on Rt. 30 W. While I haven't seen COPS, I bet it took place in SE FW.

The remaining 75% of FW is very nice. Of course there may be pockets of rundown neighborhoods, but I don't think anywhere as badly as how you described it.

And not to make this a Dallas vs. FW thing, but from what I hear in the news, Dallas has much more crime and murders than FW, even when scaled down for population.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:23 AM

3,855 posts, read 11,459,937 times
It's funny how many episodes of COPS are in FTW.

But if you live in FTW and have seen COPS you know that they are responding to the roughest of areas in FTW.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:44 PM

32 posts, read 115,646 times
I lived many years in Ft. Worth, and yes a large part is just disgusting, run down ghetto area. SE part, Lancaster, Rosedale, all Northside ghetto area (Mexican part), Como, Las Vegas Trail.
There are some nice areas, Ridglea, Hulen, Northern suburbs. And in General Ft. Worth has a lot to offer culturally. Too bad that there are so many bad areas.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:12 PM

117 posts, read 447,852 times
your understanding of ft. worth from t.v. is actually what i think of dallas. don't believe me? turn on the local news. for some reason just about everything comes from dallas and barely from fort worth. i guess we are not news worthy anymore. good luck on your search.

ETA: this post is so old and i managed to over look that.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrdoeva View Post
your understanding of ft. worth from t.v. is actually what i think of dallas. don't believe me? turn on the local news. for some reason just about everything comes from dallas and barely from fort worth. i guess we are not news worthy anymore. good luck on your search.

ETA: this post is so old and i managed to over look that.
I think Dallas actually has crime rates about double that of Fort Worth. I don't mean double numbers of crimes either...I mean double rate based on population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or