Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:40 PM

85 posts, read 173,642 times

Advertisements

So as a newcomer to Texas, I'm experiencing my first summer here and MAN! It's hot! I know this long of a stretch in the 100's isn't normal, but I was wondering what people do to beat the heat out here. Aside from taking a dip in the pool a couple days a week, the kids and I are staying sheltered in our A/C house and it's driving me stir crazy! Any ideas? Kids are 10 and 12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 09:17 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
What area?

We are in NRH and these things come to mind that are close to us. My younger two are 8 1/2(boy) and 13 1/2(girl)

We've been doing cheap movies (cinemark 8), but there are some free ones too (fossil creek or NRH library on Saturdays).

There are things like indoor arcade games (putt putt), bounce houses (leaping lizards) laser tag (place next to leaping lizards though I don't remember the name).

NRH2O of course.

Fort Worth Museum of Science and History is wonderful, especially on a hot day.

We sometimes go wander Petsmart or Petco to look at the animals/reptiles they have there. Or go to check out what new toys/games they have at Toys R Us. (that's how we found the Super Mario Bros anniversary game for Wii) If you can tolerate the mall, that can be done too. Grab some lunch, pop in to some stores and then move on.

We spend time every week at the library, but Barnes and Noble can be fun too.

If we eat out for dinner, they know there will be an obligatory trip to Walmart or Target to walk off dinner too. haha

Old 07-23-2011, 09:55 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,315,642 times
I'm not a mall person, but I could probably stand to walk around Grapevine Mills to kill a couple of hours in the A/C.

I'll throw another endorsement behind Barnes and Noble.

If your kids like tech stuff and you can find time when it's not overrun, the Apple store is a fun place to kill some time.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:11 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,206 times
Sell the house and move back to Alaska? Darn, it's a down market.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:54 AM

277 posts, read 696,486 times
In Fort Worth:

Fury Games of Texas (laser tag) next to Neiman Marcus in Ridgmar Mall

Summer Zoo Camp Summer Zoo Camp @ Fort Worth Zoo

Burger's Lake - Sandy Beaches in Ft. Worth, Texas

Fort Worth Museum of Science and History |

New aquarium just opened in Grapevine https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/Th...0/Default.aspx

Family friendly waterpark in North Richland Hills (world's largest uphill water coaster) NRH2O Family Water Park

Hawaiian Falls Waterpark!

iTZ's Euless iT'Z USA - Birthday Parties and Special Events - Euless Texas (http://www.itzusa.com/euless/index.htm - broken link)

Welcome to Texas btw... Was wondering how you were doing...

Old 07-24-2011, 08:47 AM

85 posts, read 173,642 times
Awesome suggestions guys!! Thanks! I'm taking the kids to the Science and History museum today and really looking forward to it! I'll definitely check out the rest as well.

@ FWJeff, thank you! I feel like a horse's rearend for not coming back here. I just got caught up in the whole getting settled thing. No excuse, though. You all were a fantastic help when I was planning my move out here. I can't thank this forum enough! For anyone reading this who is planning on moving here, stay active on this forum. The regulars made the anxiety of moving to a new place go away. I'm hoping that I'll be able to pay it forward soon.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:21 PM

143 posts, read 319,832 times
I was thinking the same thing as the title of this thread.

Lucky I like to read and have a lot of books from Half Price Bookstore, there's one on Denton Hwy(377) near you.

Could have gone to Grapevine Lake with some friends but it was just too hot so I passed.

This Friday evening I waited until it got dark outside to play some sand volleyball at Yucatan in Coppell, they stay open until 2AM. I might try Froggie's today at White Settlement(FW) but they only have one sand court.

Parks Mall in Arlington, kind of far. Ice skating, they also have shaded parking areas.

Main Event - bowling, billiards, laser tag, rock climbing, etc.

Indoor Tennis at TCU.

24 Hour Fitness.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,650 times
My family and I enjoy a fun water-gun fight out in the back yard

Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
check out today's FTW Groupon--coupon for wake boarding or something at ski park
little more dangerous that what I would want but some people know/love doing that

Old 07-31-2011, 05:16 PM

28 posts, read 54,347 times
Default re

we visited a couple of weeks ago and were going to check out a lake park and went prepared to jump in and cool off. We stopped near Joe Pool lake and asked for directions, then found Lloyd park...thay wanted $10 to get in.....wth? We should have gone on to another park and tried, but we gave up and rode around to see some other places in our air-conditioned rental. Are all lake parks like Lloyd?...I know the big one on Joe Pool lake is a federal or state park so it couldnt charge as much right? Any of them with facilities free?
One of our favorite hot weekend activity is floating in our closest lake and cooking burgers on the bbq grills and hanging out at the picknic tables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth