U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to US from United Kingdom for work with large software vendor, need direct flight availability, considering Austin and San Antonio, Dallas-Fort Worth pros and cons, missed connection, convenient flight hub

Old 08-11-2007, 02:31 PM

11 posts, read 20,810 times

Advertisements

HI

I am really looking for some advice here. I know that this is like trying to ask 'how long is a piece of string' but I really need some guidance from people who have done it before me.

I am coming to the US from the UK to work for a large software vendor. I think they are paying me reasonably well but I will be travelling every week somewhere or other within the US, maybe anywhere.

Therefore I know I need to be able to easily get flights to anywhere pretty much!

I had set my heart and thoughts on moving to Austin or San Antonio, but I am not sure that the direct flight availablity will suffice, thus I am now looking (I guess) at Dallas-FW.

I am willing to travel up to 70 miles to get to the airport, but of course want to make this journey as painless as possible thus interstate avoidance would be good I guess. (perhaps I am being naive here)

Does anyone have any pointers which may assist me in finding the right area to move to.. I have 2 young daughters (5 & 7) and of course want to find a decent school for them.

I am not a city dweller, never have been and never will, a country boy at heart looking to buy a nice place with a little real estate.

Any suggestions? I know that any replies may not answer my questions completely, but I am pretty sure they will help a lot.

Or would anyone suggest that I keep looking around Austin and SA and hope that flight coverage would be sufficient...

thanks in advance

Garry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 04:17 PM

27,462 posts, read 44,959,956 times
if you truly will be traveling every week in sales then one of your prime concerns would be about not missing connections--be patient and follow my story...
my son in law lives in small town S of Sarasota FL on the Gulf. He flys out every Sunday and comes back every Friday going to long-term projects across the US--right now he is working in Grand Rapids. He moved from Atlanta about 4-5 yrs ago because he hated the Hartsfield airport there and he loves to salt water fish--so he moved to area where he could fish on weekends when he was home ...his home airport is Sarasota-Bradenton--nice airport but not much traffic--certainly not a hub airport---
he ALWAYS has to make a connection for the towns he is working in--normally he flys through Hartsfield or sometimes Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte--

I cannot tell you the number of Sundays when he has missed a connection flying from Sarasota to another hub--sometimes it only delays his arrival by 3-5 hours sometimes he misses his flight and has to lay over and leave on Monday (those he actually prefers because he gets more sleep but it makes Monday morning much more hectic)
He could drive about an hour and half and use Tampa for more direct flights but they think that would take away his Sunday time and make it harder for my daughter to pick him up on his Friday return (she teaches in local school)...

I know that San Antonio and Austin are wonderful towns--I grew up in central TX and am pretty familiar with them both--the Austin airport is converted Bergstrom Field -- a USAF SAC base--great big long runways--
SA airport is as nice although it is more glam...the few times I have flown in and out found it crowded and road traffic in/out is difficult but my experience is not that current...

I just think that for commuters DFW airport is about the best place to fly in and out of for a weekly traveler--AA has more non-stops than any other carrier---their on-time performance this year has been awful because this is their main hub and our weather has been terrible with many, many thunderstorms than normal ....

there are many places in Dallas/FTW area that have good schools, great neighborhoods and a reasonable commute to the airport--
I would certainly urge you to make DFW your choice...especially if you wll be traveling each week---non-stop flights are just so much better than making connections...

Old 08-11-2007, 05:28 PM

1,379 posts, read 5,812,361 times
We specifically chose the DFW Metroplex because my hubby flies every week just about. There is a LOT to chose from in the area. It is just a matter of what exactly you are looking for as far as neighborhood and price. Start looking on some real estate sites if you haven't.

What was the reason that Austin and San Antonio drew your interest?

I have a 3yr old daughter and I think you will find a nice area over in this part of town that you will really like. Our problem was actually just choosing where and then we decided that we were going to build instead of buy.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:05 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,997,078 times
I would definitely come to the DFW Area because DFW Airport is going to have more flights because it's one of the biggest airports in the world. I fly atleast once a week and American Airlines always has flights going anywhere you go. American Airlines is the biggest airline at DFW because that is there hub and they are based out of DFW. As far as places to live in the DFW Area, I would choose Decatur because its about a 30-40 minutes drive to DFW Airport and a really nice city. It has grown A LOT and has a lot of new developments. Also, the schools are great. You can be in Fort Worth in 25 minutes and Dallas in 45 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or