Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 PM

103 posts, read 201,601 times

Advertisements

I decided to get a book on travelling or living in Texas -I asked an assistant to help me find such a book-she was horrified-she actually said "why would anyone do that" it was almost like I'd asked her to saw her hands off! Finally found the one and only book in the store on Texas-luckily it was a good book-but really this is supposed to be the state of "acceptance and open mindness+ liberals" can't wait to move out of this state and onto Texas! Can't wait to get there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times
I get the same responses from people who have NEVER been to Dallas, TX.

I'm looking forward to moving there.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:51 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinboy View Post
I decided to get a book on travelling or living in Texas -I asked an assistant to help me find such a book-she was horrified-she actually said "why would anyone do that" it was almost like I'd asked her to saw her hands off! Finally found the one and only book in the store on Texas-luckily it was a good book-but really this is supposed to be the state of "acceptance and open mindness+ liberals" can't wait to move out of this state and onto Texas! Can't wait to get there!
Where was this?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:20 AM

Default Ma

Ma

Old 12-29-2011, 02:06 PM

454 posts, read 1,242,638 times
wait until you get to texas. Then everyone will tell you, "why would you live there for so long?"

lol

Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
wait until you get to texas. Then everyone will tell you, "why would you live there for so long?"

lol
lol!!!!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:16 PM

Default ,,,,,

I have lived all around the world-in very liberal areas and very conservative areas-I lived in a village in england where these two old ladies told me even if I ended up with grandchildren living in the village I would still be considered a "newcomer" -everywhere I have lived people have always expressed doubts about our choice of move-it has always worked out for us-we take people as they come and we let them live their lives-we either like them or not (and vica versa!) I look forward to a new adventure-I have a couple of TX friends up here and if Texans are anything like them then I will be a happy person! There will always be people who think they know it all and yet have never ventured out of their neck of the woods.....

Old 01-02-2012, 06:22 PM

57 posts, read 199,256 times
I get the same thing. All. The. Time. I tell people I'm moving to Texas, and they look at my with undiluted confusion, even horror. Sometimes I get a "are you stupid?" look that borders on pity (for the record, I'm from Canada). These looks of astonishment are usually followed by exclamations such as..

1)"You're going to the BIBLE BELT?"
2)"They're republican you know.."
3)"You realize healthcare wont be free, right?"
4)"Do you have a firearms license?"
5)"You know they're having a job crises ..?"
6)"DO YOU READ THE NEWS??"

Responses usually as follows..

1) I married a Catholic. Religions promoting love and charity don't frighten me.
2) Stephen Harper.
3) Have you read your income tax statement recently?
4) Yes. Why?
5) (home province)'s unemployment is double that of Texas.
6) more than you, it seems.

Not to demerit my fellow Canadians at all, its just proof that the ignorant are everywhere. There are lots of great people in Canada.. and from our experiences there are lots and lots of very friendly and welcoming people in Dallas. I have no doubts!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 PM

Thumbs up moving

"I tell people I'm moving to Texas, and they look at my with undiluted confusion, even horror. Sometimes I get a "are you stupid?"

I've told people and some can't even speak! Really I have lived with the "free" (note nothing is free-well not for those of us who pay taxes!) healthcare and it sucks ( i have the horror stories and a disabled daughter to prove it)-you get what you pay for! I find people have so many stereotypes for people living in other parts of the country/world and usually they have never been to these places yet they feel qualified to make judgement calls about the people and area from what they have "heard"! Really if I relied on that sort of advice I'd still be stuck on a farm in rural Australia wondering "what if" ....... What can you do-live your life and know that you have followed every opportunity sent your way! I just laugh at people's reactions these days! I want the hat and cowboy boots and that big Texas flag !

Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
You have issues EVERYWHERE.

People don't realize that, apparently....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth