Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 PM

26 posts, read 52,904 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm trying to find the right place to live :-) I'm originally from Chicago area and lived all over the country. Currently living in Corpus Christi, and I'm working towards my cosmetology license, so I'm trying to stay in Texas (for now at least). I like the warm weather of Texas (not the humidity down here though!) but am missing the green grass BIG time! I want to drive through the countryside and see GREEN. I understand there is a drought right now, but let's just talk "normal" for Fort Worth area.

I will be working around the city and suburbs and my boyfriend will most likely be working somewhere in the city as well. We'd like to live where we can have a small farmette on a couple acres with a few horses, although I don't care if it's a horsey community or not, but still be close enough to the city/outskirts, where most of my work will be. I want to have a green lawn and flowers and trees and a pasture for my horses. Is this possible in Fort Worth? And what areas should I look for?

Does Fort Worth have plenty of good restaurants and fun things to do? I don't want to be bored! Also looking for affordability! How is the housing market and the cost of living?

We don't have children and don't plan it, so schools don't matter to me. Just looking for a safe area.

As for horses, I'm primarily an English rider but I do western as well. I'd like to do some small dressage, cross country and hunter shows but don't need serious showing. Is there any english riding here or is it entirely western?

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:23 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
For a horsey community, look at the area NW of Fort Worth, and out near the Texas Motor Speedway. The names of the communities: Boyd, Paradise, Newark, Justin, etc. Not sure what your budget is, but that will make a difference as to how close/far out you can find a place.

Yes, there are English riders here. You will find several places in Argyle that have hunter/jumper shows, and there are are many dressage barns around, too.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
outside the city limits there are plenty of towns/areas where you can have a property large enough to have a horse--
not just in the north area of Tarrant county
inside the Metroplex it is little more difficult

and your ability to do it is probably better in the area in the south sections--Burleson, Mansfield and in between--because property is less expensive to certain extent
it is just going to be more rural with less "city" amenities
but the same applies to the towns that Christy listed--they are all outside the city
FTW itself is great town--lots of things to do, great local restaurant scene, good local theater, some live music venues

you don't give price point and that is everything
there are MLS sites that let you search for "horse properties"
most towns require a property of 1 acre for 1 horse--but unincorporated county areas are more relaxed

and I think you have a fairly unrealistic picture of the "look" of this area
unless you are buying property in a "river bottom" type of area which is few and far between
you are likely to be dealing with rolling prairie--which is not going to be "green" since we live on the edge of the Great Plains here in Tarrant county--and unless you are prepared to water your two acres (and waste that water doing it) you are not going to be keeping it "green"--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth