Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 PM

16 posts, read 47,723 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me an overall feel for the job market in the Fort Worth area?

My wife is six classes away from her 4-year Accounting degree. I don't have as much to offer; just a AAS degree and a lot of IT/Web Design experience. We have a 10-year-old son.

We want to live in the Fort Worth area, specifically the NW region. However, I wonder if Dallas has more jobs and if a commute from Fort Wort to Dallas is even feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,004 times
There are jobs out there, just have to be able find it through networking.

Check the Texas workforce website:
https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTE...kiecheckflag=1

Have you tried checking the other employment websites:
1.) careerbuilder.com
2.) dice.com
3.) monster.com
4.) indeed.com

Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 PM

Thanks RockyJoe.
CareerBuilder: all the time
Dice: not in a long time
Monster: Not as good as it used to be
Indeed.com: Never heard of.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks for telling me about Indeed.com. I was getting very depressed there for awhile until exploring that site.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 PM

454 posts, read 1,242,490 times
Also craigslist, check it daily and respond to the ads on the day they are posted.

I wouldn't commute from fort worth to dallas. Too expensive.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:00 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpugh View Post
I wonder if Dallas has more jobs and if a commute from Fort Wort to Dallas is even feasible.
Yes, Dallas has more jobs. It's almost twice as large as Fort Worth, and the main industries there are more high-tech than those in Fort Worth. Remember: the unemployment rate here is still 8% and it's higher for those without a college degree. There are still a lot of people here looking for work. The job posting I had up last week (not in your field, but used as a statistic) netted 64 applicants for one job.

No, a commute from Fort Worth (especially NW part) to Dallas is not feasible. You will spend over an hour each way in the car, and the gas/tolls will be very expensive. If you work in Dallas, you need to live closer to Dallas.

Indeed.com is a consolidator. It's a search engine that mines companies' websites and pulls job postings that match your key words. Yes, it can find good job postings for you, but it will also pull up junk. Career Builder.com is the biggest/best job board. I would recommend starting there first.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
one of the larger CPA firms in the area is in FTW--
Whitley Penn--
good reputation from what I can tell and growing--and they have women principals/partners which is good sign to me that they are equal opportunity employer
we use them for personal/business concerns

hope your wife is starting to use LinkedIn to create professional persona
joins her alumni assoc and uses it to try for local contacts if any
it is never too early to start looking for work

my son works as editor for company designing on-line tutorials for web-based learning--
company in Dallas and he is currently living in Bedford and driving 4 days a week--1 day work at home policy
I would not recommend working in Dallas (he is central Dallas) and living west of Hurst--but there are people who do live in Keller or south FTW and drive into Dallas--
jobs came after houses were bought maybe--for whatever reason people make that commute

right now Airport Frwy/183 from east of Bedford, through Mid-Cities and soon into FTW will have construction
114/121 through Grapevine/Southlake is under construction and will be for next year+
Loop 820 N (through NE Mall area in Hurst, NRHills, Haltom City/Wautauga, Haslet) is going under construction soon
and there are various surface roads also under construction or that will be in next year

the only road/freeway that is NOT under construction right now is the Bush Toll road and Hwy 121 from north of Grapevine Mills Mall into Plano...at least that I am familiar with

so base your move with road construction in mind
Dallas is larger and thus offers more jobs but Tarrant/Denton county is also very viable employment site
depending on your skills/experience/background...

Old 01-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughtful posts. You gave us some things to ponder.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
ps--from what I have seen many of the jobs on Dice.com are contract jobs--some might have long time-line but they often don't have any benefits offered
TX as a state is a lousy place to be w/o medical insurance
our doctors are good but hospital/medical costs are high
the state's contribution to Medicare is one of the lowest and the state insurance pool for uninsurable people is being phased out because of the new federal health law

I would also suggest your check out the workforce commission job site
ANY company who does business with the state has to post their openings there as well as all state agencies

I think you have to register as job seeker to view some jobs' full information listing but it is searchable by area (like DFW metroplex), by career even if it is not the most user friendly job search site

just using ACCOUNTANT as search term and got over 500 hits--unfiltered by experience or location though so most are not going to work
https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTE..._SEARCH_BY_OCC

this one says they would consider new grads with 15 hours of accounting
https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTE...RESULTS&sort=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth