Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the New Wal-Mart Urban village in East Fort Worth look like a urban village?
"Yes" Its a great design concept 1 14.29%
"No" It looks nothing like a urban village 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:32 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times

Advertisements

Do you think the new planned Wal-Mart Urban village in East Fort Worth actually looks like a urban village?

Walmart has been working with neighborhood groups in the Travis Avenue Baptist Church area to re-orient a proposed Walmart Neighborhood Market toward Hemphill Street, and add more glass. Neighborhood reps say the company's most recent proposal, presented Wednesday to the Fort Worth Zoning Commission, still doesn't conform to the city's Hemphill/Berry Urban Village master plan, which calls for a strong pedestrian-friendly link between the street and activity inside buildings. That includes lots of glass and interior lighting to show off what's going on. The "new elevation," as shown here in the top image, is Walmart's latest plan. The corner entry is pointed toward the southwest corner of Berry and Hemphill streets.
Read more here: Walmart's evolving design plan for Fort Worth Neighborhood Market - Tarrant Business

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 01-24-2012 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:48 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,643 times
I don't know how much it looks like an urban village, but it's certainly one of the better looking Wal Mart stores I've ever seen. I empathize with the neighborhood's fight. The city needs to be careful not to set a precendent of watering down the urban village design standards. This has implications that reach beyond Berry/Hemphill. If Wal Mart truly believes this is a location that can be profitable, they'll what it takes to open a store there (including remodeling the current building on the site that is far less visually appealing and they can do that without getting the city's blessing).

And, this might be splitting hairs, but I wouldn't call that area East Fort Worth. That is definitely Southside.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:18 AM

690 posts, read 1,729,309 times
I thought I heard on the news the other day the plan for the new walmart neighborhood store was cancelled.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:06 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
.... eh.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 PM

29 posts, read 101,135 times
Default Nope not cancelled as of yet.

According to this article it is still in discussion as of yesterday. Walmart, neighborhood reps, homeowners, parry over proposed Fort Worth store's design - Tarrant Business

Old 01-25-2012, 02:39 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times
It's not the greatest thing I've ever seen, but for a Wamart it's decent looking. Still looks like a big box store, but it's an improvement. Where's the parking going to be? If there's a mile of parking between the store and the street, it's not going to matter what the building looks like. I was told before it was built that the new two story Sams Club/Walmart off of Northwest Hwy in Dallas was supposed to be somewhat of a new urban concept, and it's just as ugly and suburban looking as anything else I've ever seen from Walmart. I hope this one turns out better for you guys.

Last edited by ClarenceBodiker; 01-25-2012 at 03:12 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
I don't know how much it looks like an urban village, but it's certainly one of the better looking Wal Mart stores I've ever seen. I empathize with the neighborhood's fight. The city needs to be careful not to set a precendent of watering down the urban village design standards. This has implications that reach beyond Berry/Hemphill. If Wal Mart truly believes this is a location that can be profitable, they'll what it takes to open a store there (including remodeling the current building on the site that is far less visually appealing and they can do that without getting the city's blessing).

And, this might be splitting hairs, but I wouldn't call that area East Fort Worth. That is definitely Southside.
Yes thats the southside....i just went off what the article classifed it as

Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,004 times
I would like for WalMart to get a copy of the Berry/Hemphill Urban Village Guidelines that the neighborhood and City invested so much time and effort into. I think most people favor development but not at the expense of ignoring the developed guidelines. If we change them at every whim and request we've really just wasted a lot of time and money.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,995 times
An Urban Retail Model is much more than just how much window coverage there is on the elevations. It's all about a walkable, pedestrian-friendly experience. If the store's location or design does not address the major streets on a pedestrian level, it doesn't matter how much window coverage there is, it is still not a pedestrian-friendly experience. Seas of surface parking in front of the store does not an Urban Model make...
Walmart wants this location as it sits at the intersection of two major arterials... they are not as interested in supporting the Urban Village model that the community has developed, as they are at capturing the commuter traffic to and from work... this should have been a dead give-away when they stated that they were not in competition with the neighborhood grocery stores that are already there.
The community needs to look at what other grocery stores have actually accomplished in Urban settings, and especially what Walmart has done in Chicago, before they let Walmart have their way on this - check it out:
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][URL="http://www.walmartchicago.com/2011/09/21/chicagos-first-walmart-neighborhood-market/"]http://www.walmartchicago.com/2011/09/21/chicagos-first-walmart-neighborhood-market/[/URL][/FONT]

Old 01-29-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra S. Dennehy, AIA View Post
An Urban Retail Model is much more than just how much window coverage there is on the elevations. It's all about a walkable, pedestrian-friendly experience. If the store's location or design does not address the major streets on a pedestrian level, it doesn't matter how much window coverage there is, it is still not a pedestrian-friendly experience. Seas of surface parking in front of the store does not an Urban Model make...
Walmart wants this location as it sits at the intersection of two major arterials... they are not as interested in supporting the Urban Village model that the community has developed, as they are at capturing the commuter traffic to and from work... this should have been a dead give-away when they stated that they were not in competition with the neighborhood grocery stores that are already there.
The community needs to look at what other grocery stores have actually accomplished in Urban settings, and especially what Walmart has done in Chicago, before they let Walmart have their way on this - check it out:

http://www.walmartchicago.com/2011/09/21/chicagos-first-walmart-neighborhood-market/
Wow ...Now that is nice...pedestrian friendly and convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth