Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times

Advertisements

We paid $185 million for our new county college on the bluff downtown.
You'd think we'd be welcome there.
No such luck for one would-be bride.
With her Army boyfriend suddenly deployed to Afghanistan, county tax office worker Rosie Enriquez Martinez wanted to use the riverfront overlook at the edge of campus Sunday for a small wedding.
But Tarrant County College police chased them away.
Instead, Rosie and Sgt. Phillip Martinez Jr. of Fort Hood exchanged vows on a windy downtown sidewalk, wondering why he can fight for American freedom in Afghanistan but not peacefully enjoy a public campus downtown.
After working for 15 years at the voter-friendly Tarrant County Courthouse, the bride was surprised.
"I was shocked somebody wouldn't welcome the public," she said.
She put on her white dress and rounded up a fake rose bouquet for the informal 20-minute ceremony before what photos show to be about 25 relatives and friends.
Trinity River Campus President Tahita Fulkerson wrote by e-mail that the wedding drew a crowd of 70 and needed a permit. But a spokeswoman wrote later that the college prohibits nonschool events.
Officers forced the wedding upstairs to busy East Weatherford Street, where the soldier and his bride took their vows near the curb as traffic whizzed past.
Read more here: Wedding banned from Tarrant County College downtown | Bud Kennedy | Fort Worth, Arlington, No...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,315,642 times
While it seems ridiculous to run them off, I can't fathom why someone would attempt to do something like this without making arrangements in advance with the college.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
yes--having 70+ people show up for a "spontaneous" event seems contradictatory
I am sorry they were embarassed--and he is a standup guy for serving his country
I think yes--the college is more public than private and is on a dramatic placement that might lend itself to events like outdoor weddings but anytime you have 80 people show up for anything it is not really "small" or "private" anymore...or likely last minute either

she works for the city/county -- she knows there are rules about using public property and most of the time the use involves a fee--
maybe they were trying to avoid having to pay to rent the space they would use--which I think is probably a factor that they did not disclose since that makes their decision less spontaneous than budget-driven
maybe she called around and found out how much it would cost to have it at the Botanical garden or other venues and they thought heck--lets just try to get in/out at TCC before anyone is the wiser

while the story is definitely turned in their favor, the reporter may have been used to embarass TCC officials as a turn-about
after all--the reporter probably came in after the event and got most info from the bridal party or close friends
I doubt that TCC was the one who called up...

call me dubious

Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM

211 posts, read 494,992 times
Bud Kennedy is not a reporter. He's an opinion writer for the Star-Telegram. His job is to find a controversial topic and stir up discussion about it. He is very good at what he does! He's got people talking about it all over Facebook and other discussion forums too.

I'm sorry for all parties involved...the couple and TCC...but Bud has succeeded at what the Star-Telegram pays him to do!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:48 PM

58 posts, read 207,249 times
So, I can have a wedding or get-together or family re-union or keg party on TCC property without notifying anybody for free? How about 100 attendees? 200? 500? Is it ok on all campuses?
Why is his veteran status mentioned? The rules that apply to everyone else should not apply to him?
Where do you draw the line? And, yes, there does have to be a line.
What the wedding party did was wrong.... You don't just show up unannounced with 70 of your closest friends on TCC property for a free wedding ceremony. They made no effort to ask anyone or make sure it's ok.

Not to say I don't feel sorry for them... I do. But they need to do a little homework and ASK permission.

Last edited by CzechGrazer; 01-28-2012 at 10:07 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 02:24 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
According to the Chancellor TCC was in the wrong not the married couple.

But college Vice Chancellor Reginald Gates interrupted her.
He said, "No, wait -- I came to apologize."
With a handshake, Gates began rebuilding the good will that campus police wasted Jan. 22 when they told Martinez and her Afghanistan-bound soldier husband, Phillip, to move their vows off the Trinity River Campus.
Working in the county's Arlington tax office Friday, Martinez thought Gates was a resident with a tax question.
When he introduced himself, Martinez said that she wasn't trying to break TCC rules and that she thought the plaza was public like the courthouse lawn next door.
Instead, Gates "apologized and said the college belongs to residents like me who pay our taxes," she said.
"He said TCC is for the public. I told him I understand. I work for the public too."
Read more here: TCC wedding gaffe elicits apology from vice chancellor | Arlington | News from Fort Wort... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01/28/3695417/tcc-wedding-gaffe-elicits-apology.html#storylink=cpy - broken link)

Old 01-29-2012, 02:24 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
Follow up article in today's Star Telegram:

TCC wedding gaffe elicits apology from vice chancellor | Arlington | News from Fort Wort... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01/28/3695417/tcc-wedding-gaffe-elicits-apology.html - broken link)

The vice chancellor found the bride and apologized and told the reporter that they 'blew it'.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:25 PM

382 posts, read 420,529 times
This could have all been avoided had they simply asked permission. What, did they meet at the Red Goose the night before and decide to get married the next day? Seriously.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:12 PM

345 posts, read 994,291 times
The vice chancellor looks worse now for apologizing for something he didn't need to apologize for. The bride and groom should've asked in advance for permission. Mentioning the groom's military status was obviously used by the couple/columnist to gain sympathy.

On the flip side, the school may now realize the desire by brides to use the beautiful campus by the river for small weddings, etc. I see it as a chance for the school to make some money. What school doesn't need money these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth