Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 08:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,511,430 times

Advertisements

A Warning About Tankless Water Heaters | Fox News
that title sounds like there was a recall or risk of explosion--but it is just Fox News getting your attention....

many people often ask about choosing conventional vs tankless water heaters

this article has good info and might be helpful to read when having to buy a new water heater to replace a broken/aging one...

note that one of the top factors to consider is that the efficiency of tankless depends on the CLOSENESS to the point of use...
putting a tankless in the attic or garage then where the conventional one was located and having a long run to the faucet is going to work against the efficiency/purpose of getting a tankless in the first place...

the optimum solution would be to have three or four smaller tankless units convenient to water useage points but that is probably not going to happen unless there is new construction and an adaptive architect/builder/owner...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 AM

23,964 posts, read 10,303,770 times
We had one unit in the attic of our place in AL - it cut gas down to 6-10$ (water, fireplace, stove). At approx. 4k I do not see myself putting in several:>)

Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,511,430 times
the point is to have smaller units--
you would not need a unit that is large enough to heat water for an entire house repeated 4 times if you had a smaller, more economical unit for each bathroom...
like the fridge that college students have in their dorms is not what their parents have in their home kitchens...

having smaller, at-source units happens a lot in Europe where energy is more expensive, bathroom facilities much less luxurious or common--since many homes have 1 bathroom period

Old 01-30-2012, 12:03 PM

394 posts, read 1,251,454 times
Our home has the full time circulation pump, so there is virtually no lag time in having hot water at any faucet or shower head. They say it negates somewhat from the efficiency inherent in having a tankless unit. Whatever. It works.

My neighbor who also has a tankless unit but no circulation pump has to wait an uncomfortably long time for the hot water to arrive at the point of use.

My only disappointment is that most similarly sized houses to ours have two units. We only have one... AND during the coldest months - those with a much higher "delta T" to overcome - you may find yourself with the shower handle pegged over on the hot side.

-Eric

Old 01-30-2012, 05:14 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,672,589 times
Several for a 5-6000sq foot home might be costly....

Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,669,872 times
And since they have to be on an exterior wall, installing several isn't really possible unless you do it in the pre-build plans.

I love my tankless. It cut our gas bill by 1/3 immediately. I wish we had been able to do a circulator pump, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth