Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 AM

5 posts, read 18,248 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this has been covered but search doesn't work so well when browsing from the phone. I am looking at renting an apartment until I become more familiar with the area and Keller seemed nice when my wife and I visited. Moving from Oklahoma, I know nothing about Ft. Worth. (our visit was the first time ever going to Ft. Worth). Now after all that info, the job I would be taking is downtown near the hospital (JPS ?). If I live in Keller, would my commute be horrendous working the typical 8-4/5 schedule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
That commute will take about 30-45 minutes each way. Traffic on I35W is very heavy from that area to downtown. There are lots of othe folks making the same commute.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 AM

410 posts, read 341,951 times
I know Keller is the new "hip" place to move these days, especially for young families, but that's a nasty mess of a commute, even though not that far in distance. have you looked at any of the mid cities or maybe North Richland Hills? The commute from NRH to DT FW on 121 wouldn't be nearly as bad. plus you'd be going against traffic as there are more people driving out of DT FW in the morning rather than driving in, at least from that direction. i've driven 121 from Hurst into DT FW on 121 and it's never taken me more than 15-20 minutes, and that's smack dab in the heart of rush hour.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 AM

I haven't considered NRH. I don't really know much about the area so my knowledge of safe places and good schools are limited.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
What are some of your requirements?
Price?
Elementary or high schools? Special programs?
Want to be close to running trails or bike trails?
Bringing a pet?
Is church important aspect?
Entertainment after work hours?

NRHills is closer than Keller since you can use the 183/Airport Freeway vs I-35 like more residents of north Keller would have to use
NRHills is in Birdville ISD for the most part, although some areas are in the south part of Keller ISD
There are good schools in Birdville with several elementaries rated Exemplary--highest of the 4 state rankings
NRHills also has network of bik trails, access to its city parks as well as being close to those in Hurst and Bedford
It has new library right off Hwy 26 and Cannon Dr which is close to a new apt complex built over retail space and with other apt complexes in the area
There is easy of access to almost anything you might need--retail shopping/restaurants/sports bars, Cook's Childrens med clinic for kids plus other doctors, churches,

My husband works in Sundance Sq and we live in north Hurst fairly close to Hurst athletic complex--you can see it on map
he gets to work in normal commute times in about 20-25 min and home about same time depending on traffic which lately is messed up because of construction on 183--
that will get worse as the construction moves past Hurst into Haltom City and towards FTW proper
IF traffic/commute gets too bad he can take Hwy 26 all the way into downtown--slower cause there are lights but it has 6 lanes part of the way and is decent travel...

Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 AM

We don't have kids yet but are trying, so schools aren't of immediate concern but I don't want to move again after initially moving to an apartment, then to a house. Price wise we would like to stay under 170k. Closeness to activities wouldn't be a real concern as we aren't very close to any here in the northern suburb of Oklahoma City. We would be bringing two small dogs and church is midways on the list. Traveling to things like that 20-30 minutes is acceptable if necessary.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:21 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
We usually advise to rent for 6 months to get familiar with the area and find out where you will be most comfortable before buying. It happens fairly frequently that people think they are all gung-ho to move to an area, and then they get there and end up not liking it after all.

I totally agree with the advice to find a location where you can use 121 to commute instead of 35W. I drive in to downtown on 121 and traffic moves very well.

With your budget, look in Hurst, Euless and Bedford. The HEB ISD schools are very good, and most of Hurst is in that ISD.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 PM

690 posts, read 1,728,588 times
Hello; and if I may throw in my two cents.

For your budget, yes you can find a descent house. It will not be the newest or nicest and you will not be living as a King, but you can find something comfortable in any of these communities.
There are large homes next to smaller homes. Not always the newest homes, McMansion style,
largest with lots of yard, but livable.
I was thinking this as I drove the part of town where the Horse barn is between the Log cabin a
nice looking home next to the older looking homes, just down the street from the gated communities.

There are several ways to get to/from Downtown Fort Worth to whichever location you find to be home.
There is anything from Davis to 26 south to Baker Street/Belknap,
Davis to 820 use the east Loop to 121 south (airport freeway) to downtown Fort Worth.
Airport Frwy 121 through Haltom City South of 820,
US377 straight south to Belknap, Belknap to downtown
Beach Street South to Belknap, Belknap to downtown
US 287 Saginaw turns into Main Street Fort Worth south of 820.
US 199 goes directly south to west Downtown Fort Worth.

Your commute time will vary depending from point A to point B.
Currently there is heavy freeway construction on 820 at 35W.

Irregardless of where you choose to lay your hat... Welcome.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:07 PM

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. It has helped ease SOME of my fear of moving to a foreign place.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 PM

Okay, off the original topic here...what about nice apt in the downtown area? Any suggestions?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth