Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times

Advertisements

This article in 2/21 edition of Star Telegram I thought was particularly informative for people who are moving to the area and considering the north FTW/Keller/Haslet/Alliance area

In far north Fort Worth, many feel like they're not part of the city | Local News | News...

From my perspective it seems pretty spot on with the pros/cons of living in that area and think it reveals lot of the frustration of average homeowners

two points it makes--
that many homeowners thought they were buying/living in Keller since that is their ISD and
some homeowners would prefer to be annexed by the cities they consider themselves part of--like Haslet--because that city is closer and more aware of "local" problems...

Mentions problems with feeling ignored by city of FTW in how the city's voting districts are organized because most growth has happened in this area in past 7 yrs yet representation is lacking as well as lack of city services--that lack is slowly being addressed...with new subcourt house and upgraded streets

and it does have input from people in various subdivisions in that area who have become part of local organizations to improve the quality of life--not just random homeowners...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,586,974 times
Until this area gets its own representative on the city council, change will be slow and agonizing. The Golden Triangle construction project is just another example of how poorly prepared this area is for the growth it has experienced. The project is already AT LEAST 6 months behind. The projected completion is now early 2013. The new hospital is going to be situated at a horrible position logistically. Anyone who drives 35W knows how frequently it is gridlocked from north of 170 all the way to downtown.

Although I'm new to the area, it appears that Fort Worth annexed several areas for the financial benefit of the city treasury and they don't really care too much about keeping infrastructure in line with growth. Meanwhile, smaller cities that surround Fort Worth do much better in keeping the lines of communication open with the citizens, and upgrades/infrastructure keep up better. For example, trying to find out what is going on with Golden Triangle Blvd, it is much easier to go the city of Keller website, or contact someone from the city of Keller for updates than it is to try and contact someone from Fort Worth or see up to date info on their website.

Fort Worth is over 300 square miles, it would be to the benefit of many citizens to let areas they refuse to provide adequate representation and city services for to be annexed back into their local cities. We live just north of Golden Triangle and there isn't even a city park in our zip code, nor is there any plans for one in the next 3 years. Meanwhile, Roanake, Trophy Club, and Keller all have city parks that are nicer, closer, and easier to get to.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 PM

11,816 posts, read 26,650,028 times
A coworker of mine lives off Golden Triangle, and she had a problem with car burglaries in the neighborhood. The FWPD told the HOA that they wouldnt do regular patrols in the area, and would only come out if 911 was called. Needless to say, the burglaries continued...

Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,586,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
A coworker of mine lives off Golden Triangle, and she had a problem with car burglaries in the neighborhood. The FWPD told the HOA that they wouldnt do regular patrols in the area, and would only come out if 911 was called. Needless to say, the burglaries continued...
Thats not surprising. I used to wonder why the only time you ever saw cop cars in our area was when there were 2 of them and they were in a hurry. Then I realized its because they only come here for 2 reason: 911 calls, and to sit in school zones to write tickets. Other than that, you won't see any police presence here.

While I wouldn't say the area is bad overall, with all the issues going on that will be very long term issues for the area, me and my wife are already planning to move away withing the next 2 years.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:26 AM

663 posts, read 1,717,100 times
I was one of those people considering the north FTW/Keller/Haslet/Alliance area last year when I moved here. There were a lot of nice homes that were reasonably priced there. But the area was struck off my list pretty fast when I went through it during rush hour a couple of times to see what my commute to Hurst would be like. The area I was looking at was over by Heritage. It was 15 miles from my job and it took 30-40 minutes to get there. Thanks, but no thanks.

As far as being sold a false bill of goods, I can see how that could happen. My real estate agent referred to the area as Keller and so do most of the residents there that I personally know. The first time I was made aware that the area wasn't Keller proper was from my aunt and uncle who live in the Keller city limits.

I hope the residents of far north Ft Worth get the representation they need to get city services in their area. I don't think Ft Worth will give up the area due to that tax revenue they bring in and Ft Worth's desire to keep Alliance and the Speedway in city limits.

Personally, I don't think it's a terrible thing for your city and ISD to not line up if both are offering adequate services. I ended up settling in the City of Euless but in the Grapevine ISD. I'm personally happy with that situation. I feel like the city of Euless doesn't ignore us from a city services perspective (especially when on the day I took possession of my home there was a friendly reminder on my door from the City of Euless to cut my grass or pay a fine). I haven't been in a situation where I felt frustrated I'm not in the city of Grapevine yet and don't foresee one. But to be fair, it's a lot easier for Euless to offer city services to us than it is for Ft Worth to offer city services to far north Ft Worth.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM

141 posts, read 304,047 times
thanks for posting the article loves2read!

They should build light rail up to North Fort Worth. Or at least send the buses up here.

I guess there are burglaries... I haven't heard of any. Area seems pretty safe to me. However, I do know that getting police up here is difficult. They also completely ignored this area when it snowed last year-- didn't sand the roads, or anything.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,862,559 times
Do people really think they are moving to Keller when there are big Fort Worth water towers in their backyard?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times
yes--they do
many people buying in that area are transplants and often from out of state--maybe first time home buyers who find this area is less expensive than areas like California and back east where slums come with 200K price tags vs nice neighborhoods--they are pretty much overjoyed to discover that home ownership is really within their price range...
they have no idea how convoluted the boundaries are for different entities in TX--
they often depend on their realtor to the the fount of information and that is just as good/bad as the realtor--
so plenty of people are sold a bill of goods--
it is confusing, fast-paced, and often very intensive use of time when people are relocating--and it is easy to misunderstand or miss out on some important information when you are making long-term decisions in short term windows of "opportunity"

and while it is easy to hit the chorus of "let the buyer beware" that is often an unfair swipe at people who often feel they did try to make a good decision

Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,862,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
yes--they do
many people buying in that area are transplants and often from out of state--maybe first time home buyers who find this area is less expensive than areas like California and back east where slums come with 200K price tags vs nice neighborhoods--they are pretty much overjoyed to discover that home ownership is really within their price range...
they have no idea how convoluted the boundaries are for different entities in TX--
they often depend on their realtor to the the fount of information and that is just as good/bad as the realtor--
it is confusing, fast-paced, and often very intensive use of time when people are relocating--and it is easy to misunderstand or miss out on some important information when you are making long-term decisions in short term windows of "opportunity"

and while it is easy to hit the chorus of "let the buyer beware" that is often an unfair swipe at people who often feel they did try to make a good decision
I just find it hard to understand how people do not know what city they are moving into. You're not paying taxes to the City of Keller, nor is your address Keller.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,381,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
yes--they do

So everyone should work around these folks who "accidentally" ended up in Fort Worth? Fort Worth should give up the valuable land and taxes, while Keller should now shoulder the expense of this area due to these people's mistakes? in that case, where does it end? If I accidentally ended up in the skanky areas right outside Park Cities, do I now get to protest to be included in Highland Park because both I and my realtor "misunderstood" the information? How much luck do you think I would have with that one? Point is, buying a house is the biggest investment most pepole make in their lives, if you cannot take the time to do your homework then I dont know what to tell you. millions of people successfully figure out where they want to live and have no complaints, so it's not rocket science. Just be thorough, double check all opinions, CALL THE FREAKING CITY/SCHOOL DISTRICT if in doubt. It's really not that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth