U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,113 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and girls. Relocating and need a place to stay.

I'll have a roommate and our combined budget is between 700-800/month.

Found a few places, but was wondering how the areas go. I want to live somewhere relatively close to campus as well as somewhere safe. Those are my primary priorities.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 AM

27 posts, read 24,485 times
I went to TCU but never stayed at an apt.
The first ones I think of are facing Berry St across from where Stadium Dr starts winding into Berry St, but based on recent expansion I don't even know if those are still there.

Most of my friends stayed in rental homes, dorms or apts off of Hulen or Bryant Irvin.

800/mo may get you a 1 BR off Hulen or Bryant Irvin, but I assume you would want a 2BR at least with a roommate? There's also a few off Lowden which is really close to Campus.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but this is in the middle of a neighborhood - so safety and proximity to campus will be dead on:

McCart Apartments

Areas I would avoid is Berry St closer to I35, its fine once you get closer to campus. Despite my prior comment, I wouldn't want to be near Bryant Irvin@I20 due to heavy construction (new toll lanes I think) and traffic backups.
The Southwest side near the hospital district can be sketchy at times, but it is in the middle of a revamp/gentrification era as more offices, shops and apts are built. This is probably too far for you I imagine though.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,113 times
Thanks for the help

I've been looking at a place near 183&35w. West of 35.

Anyone know anything about that area?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 PM

6,746 posts, read 10,979,799 times
That's on the north side of downtown, and TCU is on the south side. You will not have an easy drive through the traffic to campus every day. Also, the north side is not a nice neighborhood. There is a lot of crime, and it is heavily Hispanic.

Look at areas closer to the campus, such as off Magnolia and Berry streets, and near the hospital district. You will be closer to campus, and also surrounded by other students.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM

211 posts, read 259,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
That's on the north side of downtown, and TCU is on the south side. You will not have an easy drive through the traffic to campus every day. Also, the north side is not a nice neighborhood. There is a lot of crime, and it is heavily Hispanic.

Look at areas closer to the campus, such as off Magnolia and Berry streets, and near the hospital district. You will be closer to campus, and also surrounded by other students.
Ditto what ChristieP said. Also look around Forest Park, University, 8th Ave. Park Hill. There will be lots of apts. and price ranges out there, much closer to TCU.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:24 AM

14,642 posts, read 27,910,819 times
my son's girlfriend is PhD candidate at TCU and she rents apt at Bryant Irwin and 820--not that close to campus but the area is safe

Google up a crime map--there are plenty on the Internet

Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 PM

169 posts, read 176,861 times
When I attended TCU, I rented apartments off of Hulen and I-20. There were lots of other students nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth