Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 PM

899 posts, read 2,286,957 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I am relocating to the Metroplex for work in Richardson near Renner Rd. (where PGBT and 75 intersect). One of my favorite areas of DFW has always been northern Tarrant County (Grapevine/Southlake/Keller) so I want to at least consider it since I am getting to relocate to the area. However I am told that I would be crazy to choose to live there because the commute would be a killer. Does anyone do this commute for work and/or have any advice about wanting to live in Tarrant but work in North Dallas burbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
Hi guys, I am relocating to the Metroplex for work in Richardson near Renner Rd. (where PGBT and 75 intersect). One of my favorite areas of DFW has always been northern Tarrant County (Grapevine/Southlake/Keller) so I want to at least consider it since I am getting to relocate to the area. However I am told that I would be crazy to choose to live there because the commute would be a killer. Does anyone do this commute for work and/or have any advice about wanting to live in Tarrant but work in North Dallas burbs?
That sounds as bad or worse than the commute I will likely have fairly soon (from Colleyville to Addison). A co-worker does it every day and says it takes 40-45 minutes, dunno exactly what route she takes. She doesn't complain about it, FWIW, but it ain't short.

I'm assuming you'd do 121 to 35E south to PGBT. At least you'd spend barely over a mile south on 35E in the morning. OTOH, the tolls for that will be pretty brutal.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
You will hate yourself for that commute. It's about $5 a day in tolls on the Bush, and 45 minutes each way from Grapevine. Southlake and Keller will be even longer drives. Not to mention that you will be spending even more $ on gas and upkeep on your car. If there is bad weather or a wreck, your drive will be even longer!

Richardson and the surrounding areas are really nice. I worked there many years ago during the telecom boom, and I always liked it. There are many nice homes there, and the community is great. Save your sanity and live closer to where you work.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:24 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
crazy drive! We get so many folks who get hung up on an area when there are many good choices near work! Look in Richardson, Plano, North Dallas, Garland or even Frisco or Rowlett.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:40 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,222 times
Grapevine, Southlake, and Keller will still be there on the weekends. Richardson is a nice place to live, especially if you work there.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
I used to live in Coppell and drove to Jupiter and GB everyday. It was 22 miles each way, took me about 25-30 minutes each way (if there was no traffic) and I paid about $3-$4 each day in tolls. I spent anywhere from $80-$100 a month for my toll tag. So if you are further west, you will be paying more than that in tolls, gas (which is obviously much higher now) and the commute will be longer. Before that career, I used to live in northeast FW and drove to Coppell everyday...that was a TOTAL PITA, which is why I moved to Coppell. Funny how my careers kept moving further to the east. If possible I would live as close to your job as you can...it will most likely ensure that you keep your sanity. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 AM

690 posts, read 1,728,588 times
I work with someone who makes the North Tarrant county to Dallas commute.
They do it for the commitment to family. Others that I know moved closer to
work as quickly as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth