Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,711 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job offer in Ft Worth Texas and need more information. The company is located in Ft Worth and not Dallas.
I am from the Midwest (Kansas City), single and late 30s. I understand country lifestyle as we had horses growing up, but generally consider myself a city girl. My sister is the horse gal, lol.

Looking for specific information around Ft Worth: culture, crime, weather, traffic, shopping, dating (later 30s). Really any insight into living there is fair game. I would buy a home with a fenced back yard as I have two yellow labs. Pricing would be around $200.
Any feedback on Ft Worth would be great, as I am not sure I want to leave KC.

Last edited by KCgal1; 04-11-2012 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
FTW is urban to suburban -- you have to drive out quite a way to find a rural environment -- and traffic all over the Dallas/Fort Worth area is horrendous. So its important to live near work. Where in Fort Worth is the job?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM

690 posts, read 1,728,588 times
Fort Worth's population is expanding, you will find all the amenities of any
large city. If you choose to live within the city limits or one of the suburbs
outside of Fort Worth. I think you may enjoy the environment.

Good Luck

Last edited by RockyJoe817; 04-11-2012 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 AM

269 posts, read 574,762 times
You'll need to be a little more detailed than then information you've given us.

Where is the job located, is it downtown Ft.Worth, on the outskirts of Ft.Worth, there are plenty of smaller cities on the outskirts that could meet your requirements.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
run a search for any of those keywords on FTW or Dallas forums and read the posts
there is lot to like about FTW area but as more people move in the quality of life has to stretch to cover more bodies and sometimes it can pinch...

Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,711 times
Thank you for the comments.

I am moving. I was looking for information on areas where if I own a home and am single, there will still be activities nearby, such as a gym, maybe co-ed team sports or even a good singles dating scene. Many people have been pointing me to Keller or near that area.

My original question was not just about the area, but the culture. In KC, if you are over 30 and not married with kids, your are an anomaly, especially if you live in the sub burbs.

I have read all the posts about ft worth living, the picture gallery and other posts about moving to Texas and was surprised at the comments I received given other posts had better responses with more detail.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
If you are looking for a fun environment with nightlife, Keller is absolutely what you do NOT want. It is a great town for families with kids, but there is nothing to do there for an older single person and commute to downtown is horrible.

I would say to look at the area SW of downtown FW, off Hulen. There are lots of shops, restaurants, and several big gyms. It's close to downtown for commute and nightlife.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:52 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I think Keller is mainly families in homes--would be surprised if there are younger singles buying homes there unless they are working in the area--like at Alliance or Fossil Creek area--maybe Westlake/Fidelity
over 30 w/o kids is not so much an anomoly as a single or couple but most singles aren't buying homes in Keller--that is uber family area
are the people referring Keller to you married themselves or singles?
in either case ask them why they are pushing Keller--could just be they have read about it online...

more singles would be buying homes in FTW I think for the more active single scene--
there are condos in downtown area/So 7 that are attracting many older empty nesters and yuppies because they work in downtown

my son lives in our old home in Bedford and I think he is probably the only single guy in that area in a house
but there are singles in apartments and maybe in some of the Durango townhomes

there are plenty of gyms, restaurants, activities
the Hurst softball complex is close to my neighborhood and there is coed softball there two seasons
coed softball at the Bedford fields behind Kroger and maybe at the Euless softball complex
check the local cities' parks/rec sites online

there is website called meetup.com where you can choose activities/interests and meet others (singles and married) to share those interests
lots to do for single people but if you are in house it is definitely more difficult to meet other singles than living in apartment

Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM

308 posts, read 637,842 times
My daughter is single and 25, a few year younger than you. She just bought a house just south of Hulen and I30. She loves the area - plenty of night life, shopping, etc., is just what she needs. Three months into the move she couldn't be happier. It's a nice area called Arlington Heigths (not to be confused with Arlington, TX).

Old 04-29-2012, 09:02 PM

211 posts, read 494,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwood View Post
My daughter is single and 25, a few year younger than you. She just bought a house just south of Hulen and I30. She loves the area - plenty of night life, shopping, etc., is just what she needs. Three months into the move she couldn't be happier. It's a nice area called Arlington Heigths (not to be confused with Arlington, TX).
I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth