Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 PM

211 posts, read 492,601 times

Advertisements

This school is 2X the size it was when my kids went there, and they still manage to maintain their high standards. I am such a fan!

Fort Worth ISD - News

My two cents worth...if you (parent) are scared of the middle and/or h.s. that Tanglewood feeds into, the chances are very great that your child will test well enough to be accepted into a private school for those years. The tuition is stiff, but think of all the money you have saved by not going there for the elementary years! I would also urge you to consider the public middle and h.s. because by then, your child (and you) will have formed an excellent peer group, and I firmly believe that "it takes a village to raise a child."

My kids thrived in the public school system because they were challenged by their teachers and their peers all the way up. Now I work in a private school, and I think it's a wonderful environment too...if you can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 AM

156 posts, read 282,287 times
Our son is starting kindergarten this August at Tanglewood and talking around a lot of the parents are hoping to go the public route, which will make the middle school stronger and the high school even better.

Thanks for posting this!!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-02-2012, 02:31 PM

44 posts, read 73,116 times
I hate to sound this way, but who cares? Why would you subject your kids to this in hopes that by the time they get to ms or hs, that things will be better? FWISD is terrible, except maybe for one or two schools and it probably won't get any better anytime soon. Why not start out in a district that is all around good to begin with?

"it takes a village to raise a child". WRONG!! It takes responsible parents who care about the well being of their kids. For example, I don't want some extremely liberal teacher expressing their views on my kids. My wife and I raise our kids conservatively. Your way of thinking is the liberal way...

Last edited by centercab; 05-02-2012 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: added to

Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWRunner View Post
Our son is starting kindergarten this August at Tanglewood and talking around a lot of the parents are hoping to go the public route, which will make the middle school stronger and the high school even better.

Thanks for posting this!!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I'm so glad that you're going to Tanglewood! I hope you have a great an experience as we did!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centercab View Post
I hate to sound this way, but who cares? Why would you subject your kids to this in hopes that by the time they get to ms or hs, that things will be better? FWISD is terrible, except maybe for one or two schools and it probably won't get any better anytime soon. Why not start out in a district that is all around good to begin with?

"it takes a village to raise a child". WRONG!! It takes responsible parents who care about the well being of their kids. For example, I don't want some extremely liberal teacher expressing their views on my kids. My wife and I raise our kids conservatively. Your way of thinking is the liberal way...
You are cracking me up! Do I need to show you my conservative card? My "it takes a village" comment doesn't stem from Hillary Clinton but rather from my own experience of parenting, knowing like parents who also kept an eye out for my children and expected the same good behavior from them that I did. And they would call and tell me when they saw things they shouldn't be doing, and I did the same with their kids. We helped each other out. We don't live in a vaccuum, you know! I knew that their values were the same as mine, and they instilled it in their kids, and their expectations of my kids when they were in other homes were as high as they were when they were in my home.

Now all these "kids" are adults having kids of their own, and they are living in the same neighborhood, sending their kids to Tanglewood as well.

I'm not going to argue the pros and cons of suburbia vs. inner-city living, but I wouldn't live anywhere else but the inner city. There are deep roots here in FW and I'm glad that I have them. P.S. My kids didn't have any liberal teachers in FW public schools, that I was aware of. In the private school where I work now???? WHEW!!!!! They are rampant!!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsFW View Post
You are cracking me up!

I'm not going to argue the pros and cons of suburbia vs. inner-city living, but I wouldn't live anywhere else but the inner city. There are deep roots here in FW and I'm glad that I have them. P.S. My kids didn't have any liberal teachers in FW public schools, that I was aware of. In the private school where I work now???? WHEW!!!!! They are rampant!!
I'm glad I made you laugh!

I have VERY deep roots in Fort Worth, but that did not keep me from moving out of the city. Heck, I was even born in Fort Worth. My first job was at Taco Bell on Alta Mesa when it first opened in '79.

To me, it is not worth the extra money spent to send the kids to private schools, when you can find other districts that are recognized or exemplary. All because you want to live in Fort Worth. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make a whole lot sense.

Fort Worth is not the city it once was. I know how a lot of you will take this, but to me, it has become way too diverse. I'm not really into that. If, and when, that happens where we now live, our next stop is out of state.

I like to remember Fort Worth the way it was...not what it is now.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centercab View Post
I'm glad I made you laugh!

I have VERY deep roots in Fort Worth, but that did not keep me from moving out of the city. Heck, I was even born in Fort Worth. My first job was at Taco Bell on Alta Mesa when it first opened in '79.

To me, it is not worth the extra money spent to send the kids to private schools, when you can find other districts that are recognized or exemplary. All because you want to live in Fort Worth. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make a whole lot sense.

Fort Worth is not the city it once was. I know how a lot of you will take this, but to me, it has become way too diverse. I'm not really into that. If, and when, that happens where we now live, our next stop is out of state.

I like to remember Fort Worth the way it was...not what it is now.

I'm sorry, but it's this white flight attitude that is the reason districts like FW go to crap. It's when middle class families abandon the districts they start to spiral downward, not before. I completely disagree that a kid is better off by hiding them from anybody that's different than them economically or racially. This is not just a different Fort Worth, it's a different world that's constantly becoming more global. There's nothing wrong with showing kids that the world, much less this area, is not as homogeneous as some of these suburban districts would teach us to believe.

I think it's great the enthusiasm and passion people like LuvsFW and FTWrunner have for local Fort Worth schools. Communities with parents who care coming together and supporting these schools are the only way they improve. If you wait for a school board or superintendent to do something, you'll be waiting forever. And I personally know multiple people who have graduated from these scary, urban, minority filled Fort Worth schools in the past decade that are actually doing better than my suburban educated butt. Apparently some of these schools are capable of actually educating. Imagine that.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I'm sorry, but it's this white flight attitude that is the reason districts like FW go to crap. It's when middle class families abandon the districts they start to spiral downward, not before. I completely disagree that a kid is better off by hiding them from anybody that's different than them economically or racially. This is not just a different Fort Worth, it's a different world that's constantly becoming more global. There's nothing wrong with showing kids that the world, much less this area, is not as homogeneous as some of these suburban districts would teach us to believe.

I think it's great the enthusiasm and passion people like LuvsFW and FTWrunner have for local Fort Worth schools. Communities with parents who care coming together and supporting these schools are the only way they improve. If you wait for a school board or superintendent to do something, you'll be waiting forever. And I personally know multiple people who have graduated from these scary, urban, minority filled Fort Worth schools in the past decade that are actually doing better than my suburban educated butt. Apparently some of these schools are capable of actually educating. Imagine that.
Thanks! It's all about the families making it work. The FWISD has churned out some great young adults...wish you all could meet my sons and their friends. Well, you probably have if you go to a doctor, lawyer, bank, or any other profession. They're everywhere and they're successful.

I'm so happy to see young families like FtWRunner carrying on the tradition too.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I guess we don't agree on much, then. When my oldest was in 7th grade, he went to North Crowley Middle School. This was right after the section 8 apartments off Sycamore School Road and Crowley Rd. opened up and fed into there. He absolutely hated it and came home complaining (pretty much every day) and sometimes would shed a few tears by the way some of the kids were treating him. Why would I subject my kiddos to that? We promptly sold our house and moved to the 'burbs. His first day of middle school there, I took off work early so I could be there when he got out of school, he came out with a big smile on his face. His comment "Man, I love it here!". What better joy is there than that?

Quote:
You kids are only in school for so long. Time does fly by. I don't want to tell my kids to tough it out and hopefully things will improve. That's what a lot of y'all are doing...Hoping that things improve. Makes no sense to me. I want my kids to be happy NOW and to receive a good education NOW. I will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 AM

156 posts, read 282,287 times
The Paschal Pyramid is fantastic NOW and it's getting better NOW too. As people hear that you can get a good education and still have the urban living experience, more and more middle class to upper class families are going to start choosing Fort Worth Proper which is only a good thing for Fort Worth.

Parents most definitely make the school, I have taught in an inner city school with a district that did an impressive job with the resources that they had, but parental involvement would have made these schools great.

Tanglewood Elementary has a high school quality science lab that is completely run by parents, all volunteers, which is awesome because it shows what people can do when they see a need, and it goes beyond just donating money, without the parent instructors there would be no science lessons.

I also attended very good schools and very rough schools, and bullying and undesired behaved kids were at both, but fortunately I had good parents that helped me and the schools navigate through that. Not all kids have the option of moving so any improvements benefit all the children attending those schools.

We were so excited to find we could live in a great city, send our kids to really good schools and help make Fort Worth a better place, while showing our children all the diversity the world offers.

While I understand that some schools don’t have the parental interest to make them fantastic schools, I can’t see why anyone would not commend those that are helping improve already good schools, therefore improving the district and hopefully influencing other schools as they journey to be the next Tanglewood or Paschal.

Were happy to carry on the legacy of LuvsFW.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth