Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:57 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,215 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have a strange question. I will fly into DFW on Sunday, December 23, and stay the night, then take a train out the next day. I'm looking for a very diverse liquor store, because there are things I want that I can't get where I live now. Off the top of my head, I'm looking for a Brazilian brand of spirit called Cachaça 51, and also Mekong Whiskey from Thailand. There might be more I could post, but I need a friend to get the other brands for me. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good stores, or has seen those brands in particular.

Anyway, my train leaves after 5 PM on December 24 from Ft. Worth ITC, which should give me plenty of time. I will not have a car while there, so it needs to be accessible by foot or public transit. I would prefer to stay in Ft. Worth, but if anyone knows of anything in Dallas I'm open to going that far (because I will have lots of time to kill.) Also, would the holiday complicate matters? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:33 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Hi all,
I have a strange question. I will fly into DFW on Sunday, December 23, and stay the night, then take a train out the next day. I'm looking for a very diverse liquor store, because there are things I want that I can't get where I live now. Off the top of my head, I'm looking for a Brazilian brand of spirit called Cachaça 51, and also Mekong Whiskey from Thailand. There might be more I could post, but I need a friend to get the other brands for me. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good stores, or has seen those brands in particular.

Anyway, my train leaves after 5 PM on December 24 from Ft. Worth ITC, which should give me plenty of time. I will not have a car while there, so it needs to be accessible by foot or public transit. I would prefer to stay in Ft. Worth, but if anyone knows of anything in Dallas I'm open to going that far (because I will have lots of time to kill.) Also, would the holiday complicate matters? Thank you in advance.
Ever been to DFW before? First of all you can forget about shopping on the 23rd. It's a Sunday. No liquor stores are open. Secondly, you can literally go for miles without seeing a liquor store, and then you'll wander into a spot that's zoned wet and see 10 of them smashed into a tiny area. Liquor store row off Addison Road is a prime example.

I'd pin down a specific store (or 3) that sell what you're looking for, but be prepared. The stores won't open until 10 or 11am on Monday.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Ever been to DFW before? First of all you can forget about shopping on the 23rd. It's a Sunday. No liquor stores are open. Secondly, you can literally go for miles without seeing a liquor store, and then you'll wander into a spot that's zoned wet and see 10 of them smashed into a tiny area. Liquor store row off Addison Road is a prime example.

I'd pin down a specific store (or 3) that sell what you're looking for, but be prepared. The stores won't open until 10 or 11am on Monday.
I have, but every time I go it's pretty superficial and I don't have much time in town. I also arrive on December 23 at 11:30 PM. My train leaves after 5 PM on Monday, December 24. I wouldn't be going to the store until Monday.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
The problem is that between DFW and the Fort Worth ITC, there are ZERO liquor stores that are accessible on foot (that area is dry), and the few (off Beach Street in Fort Worth) that are accessible by public transit aren't going to carry anything out of the ordinary. You are going to need to rent a car, or spend $$$ on a cab ride, if you want to do this.

The stores I would recommend checking are Goody Goody on hwy 26 in Colleyville, and the big Centennial store on Northwest Hwy and I35E in Dallas. Those two have a good selection of specialty liquors and if you call early, they may be ale to special order for you.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:29 PM

Ooh... thank you. That Goody Goody store has cachaça (I want that because I've been craving lime caipirinhas) but I don't see Mekong Whiskey. I see you have a Total Wine in the area too, and it's next to Park Lane Station (I'm doing an edit now, because it appears they have both and initially I didn't see it.) Maybe I'll see if a place could special order one. I could probably stay in Dallas and just go to the train station in Ft. Worth the next day if there's a greater selection.

Last edited by phxgreenfire; 08-05-2012 at 08:49 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 AM

407 posts, read 829,666 times
The closest Liquor store to DFW (that I know of anyway) is Centennial over on NorthWest Highway, Maybe a 20 minute drive each way.

The Mid-Cities areas sell beer/wine, but if you want liquor you're going to have to be within the Dallas or Fort Worth city limits.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:41 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Colleyville recently allowed liquor sales, and it's the only "wet" area in the mid-cities.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 AM

407 posts, read 829,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Colleyville recently allowed liquor sales, and it's the only "wet" area in the mid-cities.
Total news to me. But I'm not going to complain

Old 08-06-2012, 01:33 PM

350 posts, read 867,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Ooh... thank you. That Goody Goody store has cachaça (I want that because I've been craving lime caipirinhas) but I don't see Mekong Whiskey. I see you have a Total Wine in the area too, and it's next to Park Lane Station (I'm doing an edit now, because it appears they have both and initially I didn't see it.) Maybe I'll see if a place could special order one. I could probably stay in Dallas and just go to the train station in Ft. Worth the next day if there's a greater selection.
Spec's has an extremely large selection and is located near the DART Red Line (Walnut Hill Station, I believe).

Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Spec's has an extremely large selection and is located near the DART Red Line (Walnut Hill Station, I believe).
Thank you. That appears to be next to the Total Wine I found. It appears my best bet is to stay the night in Dallas, then just go to Ft. Worth later. I would be more comfortable being near the train station, but hey, as long as I get to it quickly then getting from Dallas to Ft. Worth via the TRE wouldn't be too bad. I would have over six hours from checkout to the train departure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth