U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,685 times
Default Keller Central High School Vs Keller High school

Hi,
I have moved to TX couple of months ago and currently staying with in Coppell ISD limits. My son is in 8th grade and he will be going to High School next. I am planning to move to Keller, as I work in Westlake. I have looked at few new houses in Keller ISD. They come under Fort worth, but they come under Central High School. I heard this is not a great school and people prefer Keller High school. I am not sure which is good. Most of houses that come under Keller High school are old. There are very few new houses in Marshall Ridge, but they are out of my budget. Can any one please tell if Central High school in Keller has any issues and if I need to consider going to Keller High school limits only. I also thought about Northwest ISD, but Byron Nelson HS is relatively new and I am not sure how will it be!

Thanks for your help! Appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 PM

13,183 posts, read 6,831,455 times
You should just get over hang up with "old houses" and go with location. Practically all of these tract home, cookie cutter, subdivisions in the Keller Central zone are on a downhill slide right from the get go. The Keller HS and Byron Nelson area is about the only area in the NW and Keller ISDs that will hold their own. I cringe when I hear about people buying some treeless, boxy, tract home in Ft. Worth because it's "new" when they could have purchased on older 1980's ranch in North Keller with old growth trees, and some sense of atmosphere.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 AM

417 posts, read 200,794 times
Default BNHS is a great school....

We moved here in July and have never looked back-I have three at the high school and it has been a very positive experience-my kids are excelling there-one has been in Spec Ed since elementary and we were a little worried how her transition would go...it has been just great-all the teachers have very accommodating and challenging her too. Go up and arrange a visit they you may be surprised-Trophy Club is a very quick commute to Westlake too!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:56 AM

6,098 posts, read 9,066,948 times
If your budget will work for Trophy Club, its a lot better than Keller. BNHS has some excellent facilities and is getting rave reviews!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 AM

417 posts, read 200,794 times
Default Just togive you a heads up

When you say you're moving to Keller but the house is under Fort Worth-then you are moving to Fort Worth not Keller proper-I believe if your located on the otherside of the train tracks then you are Fort Worth-there are some issues with this as you are not technically a resident of Keller so your services will be Fort Worth-for example if you wanted to join the Keller Sports Complex (can't remember exact name) you don't get the resident rate ..things like that-trash pick up is fort worth-this has been explained alot on this board before and others who have lived in this area can explain it better. Some builders will tell you it's Keller but it's not.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 3,716 times
My wife and I moved to the part of Fort Worth / Keller you are referencing, and thankfully, we decided to rent. We live in Crawford Farms, and albeit a nice, established subdivision, it is still "technically" Fort Worth, and in Central H.S. district.

Now, to answer your question about Central, here is what we've heard, from a lot of people in this area: There have been lot's of problems. Now, please don't view my comments as racist, or negative towards people in an area of lower demographics, but these comments have been common. Keep in mind- you have a lot of families that live in rentals from Watauga (not a good area, in my opinion) that go to Central. Lots of fighting- "some" may refer to this as gang activity. Not sure about that, but it has been common lately, along with a lot of vandalism in this particular area.

I strongly agree with PADCRASHER, and would buy an older home, with less cosmetic appeal, before I bought a new home in Central school district. Hope this helps...

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 PM

Thank you Chicago2635. I have heard there are some issues in Central HS, but not sure what they are!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 PM

Thank you Sossie. Yes, almost all builders say it is keller home though it is in fort-worth, if school comes under keller-isd. That is where I hv these questions- if all of keller schools are good OR only Keller HS is good!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM

346 posts, read 604,364 times
Please take the advice of the people above. Buy what you can afford in the Keller High School zone. Keller ISD extends into Fort Worth city limits. The only Keller ISD high school in Keller proper is Keller High school. All of the others are in Fort Worth.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:20 PM

3,025 posts, read 7,042,057 times
I have kids who go to Keller High and have graduated from Keller High and Know alot of kids who attend Central.
They are the 2 top Keller schools for academic competetiveness. Timberview has many issues esp with Admin etc...
Fossil has all the issues that would come with a lot of section 8 housing etc... They do a good job though with those kids who want to learn etc...

Keller is pretty solid but we have had issues with a few HORRIBLE teachers, lucky the admin has worked with us on both ocasions and the we were happy with the end result. We have also had some FANTASTIC teachers esp in AP English, Math.
Not happy with many of the coaches and thier philosphies etc...
It has its issues as any HS with over 2000 students will have. There is some "keeping up with Jones' " mentality. Almost every kid gets a car at 16 etc...
But all in all my girls have made great friends, been involved with sports, taken AP classes and succeeded etc...

Central HS has a much more diverse socio economic student body. (more of the haves and the have nots...) so they do clash.
There are more fights, more police calls etc... than Keller. BUT the kids we know are all doing well. They are all in the Pre-AP program and involved in various sports, clubs and bands etc... Central has some EXCELLENT coaches!! They have some Fantastic teachers they have a much stronger Science dept than Keller. Both schools have a very strong fine Arts program.
They also run a Career and Technical Ed program for Health Sciences at Central. When those kids kids graduate they are CNA or Pharm Tech qualified.

As far a housing goes city of Keller will hold its value pretty well. The only area over in Ft Worth that will probably hold is value the best would be Heritage.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth