Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,175 times

Advertisements

It was featured on PBS on saturday and I wanted a bit more information on this place. It looked really nice. How does their food taste? What's the tipical cost for a plate? Do you just get to sit anywhere or whats the deal with the settings shown on their website? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 11:31 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Joe T. Garcia's Mexican Restaurant

Food is pretty good, but people really go there for the atmosphere and drinks.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Joe T. Garcia's Mexican Restaurant

Food is pretty good, but people really go there for the atmosphere and drinks.
Interesting......they have bottled salsa to go, at $50/box of 16 ($20 of that for S/H).....wonder if they get very many orders, and if it's any good?

One of these days I will try JTG if I ever am in the DFW area again.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
They serve family style, I love the place!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:38 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
Food is really mediocre at best. The offer chicken or beef fajitias for dinner.
The atmosphere is fun esp. if you can be seated out on the Patio.
Its pricey for the quality of food. (IMHO)

ALSO know that they DO NOT take credit cards!!
We found out the hard way when we took all our family there after my daughters graduation! Nothing like having to come up with $500.00 cash! The ATM machine only gives out $300.0(Thank goodness my Dad had some cash on him!)

OH...you can get the Salsa in the grocery store for $3.00 a jar.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,564 times
No, the food is not that good. There are other places that are much better. With that said, I still go there for the atmosphere, I love it.

The salsa is good, I can get it at HEB for about $3.00.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,406 times
Honestly, I've lived in and out of FW for a total of 9 years and I've been there exactly twice.

I do buy the salsa on occasion in the grocery store.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,314,226 times
At lunch, they offer a full Tex-Mex menu. At dinner, they offer chicken or beef fajitas or cheese enchiladas. Both come with family style beans, rice, and guacamole. The enchilada dinner comes with a cheese nacho appetizer and fried ground beef tacos. I find the food to be pretty good as far as Tex-Mex goes, but I've discovered over the years that Joe T.'s is pretty divisive. People either love it or they hate it. It's pretty greasy compared to a lot of Tex-Mex in this area and the enchiladas come in a tomato sauce that is different from the queso, ranchero, or chile sauce that most people are used to.

I can't remember the price, but I think it's in the neighborhood of $15 per person with a non-alcoholic drink. I've made it out of there for well less than $50 with me getting a beer and my wife getting a daiquiri or a margarita.

As many have said, the drinks and the atmosphere are the reason most people go. The patio is outstanding for most of the year and probably only unbearable in the evenings for 3 or 4 months of the year. It sits on the east side of the property, so it's well-shaded late in the day. The wait for the patio can get pretty long, but you can often get into the dining room relatively quick except during the dinner rush on the weekend.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 PM

211 posts, read 494,894 times
I love the food! It's my favorite Mexican restaurant. I especially love the refried beans, guacamole and greasy nachos with that stringy yellow cheese. It just doesn't get any better.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
IMO People go because there is large patio -- very party like--they can accommodate large groups easier than some restaurants and you can make noise w/o getting looked at too badly...
you don't want to eat inside--I think it smells like retirement home but with cumin overlay

but I never go there to eat unless for a party of some sort like my husband's company had their spring dinner there for several years--after annual golf tournament--we have been there for anniversary/birthday/wedding rehearsal parties--we have friends who always go with people from out of town or when their daughter comes in from FL but to us the food is worse than average...
and the margaritas are not that great anymore...
but it is a landmark--close to the Stockyards and gets lot of visitor traffic--
it will never die...
MUCH better places in FTW area to have Tex Mex...but people don't go to Joe T's for the food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth