Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 PM

349 posts, read 379,177 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from a smaller town about 2 hrs NW of DFW.

I moved to Las Vegas in late 2002 with a few thousand in my pocket and no job lined up, so I know what it's like to take a risk and make a jump. However, this go round I have something to lose.

I'm currently employed by a small business earning a little over 70k/yr as a software engineer & accountant (many hats, don't ask). I hold a B.S. Comp Sci degree as well as a finance MBA, both from accredited programs (the real accreditations, ABET & AACSB).

I've just turned 33 yrs old, no wife, no kids. I only have myself to take care of.

I've saved up about 160 grand, and am starting to think I'd like to buy a home, most likely a simple 1300sq ft home (for the lower property taxes) with cash to check that life to-do off the list.

Homes in DFW are so much nicer than they are in Las Vegas. If you've been here, you'll know what I mean.

So, my question of general advice is ... if you were in my situation, would you give up a 70k/yr job to try a new city with nothing new lined up? I work mostly in web development (PHP/Javascript/HTML/CSS/Linux skills 10yrs+ exp) and have managed the accounting, financial decisions, and strategies for an Inc 500 business for many years. I don't think I'm the cat's meow, but I have decent experience demonstrating measurable accomplishments.

I just feel it in my gut that it's time for a change, and I feel I have a pretty safe buffer to carry me. My sister also lives in FW and would rent me a room cheaply while I look, etc.. Anyone else move there from Vegas? Any sage advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,981 times
I personally wouldn't ever move til I had a job lined up... See economy.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
I personally wouldn't ever move til I had a job lined up... See economy.
I completely agree. Yes, the unemployment rate here is much lower than in Vegas, but we still have a lot of unemployed people. And, the DFW area is HUGE! If you decide to live in Fort Worth, and you find a job in Plano, you are going to spend 2 hours a day in your car and you will hate it here. Better to start looking for a job now, get it, and then move down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth