Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,843 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Is there any code to constructing a brick and stone mail box for a new house? Our builder says that our mail box will go to other side of the street rather than the side of the street where the house exists. Appreciate any inputs.

Cheers,
-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
I have often wondered about the inconsistencies about single side of the street, cluster, at door and at curb deliveries. I own some rental properties and it seems every place has a different level of service. Most of it seems to depend on how a specific development was coded by the Postmaster at the time when the developer submitted zoning approvals. I have to say I prefer in this order: cluster mailboxes, at the door delivery, other side of the street from me, my own on my side, pickup at the P.O. box.

I like clusters (locked, coded not correllated to your house number) for neatness and security of the mail -- and no one knows which is your box. At the door you can have a slot that goes directly in your house, but your dog makes a fuss every day. The other side means you have a clean curb on your side, easier to mow and for your guests to park, and you burn 15 more calories free each day getting your mail! Your side, you have to mow and edge around it and you have the equivalent of an apartment-sized fridge stuck in front of your house & blocking your view all the time. My personal home has a brick monster the size of a 10 year old kid with a serious weight problem. I hate it. Wish we had groups of nice clusters at different places in our community. It would look so much cleaner.

Check With The Postmaster Before You Install A Mailbox, Or Else

Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,843 times
Thank you Squirl. That was very informative. So, it is the postmaster who is in control of where the mail box goes. Do you know by chance if we can request the postmaster to change the location of the mail box? This is in the city of Flower Mound.

Cheers,
-D.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:26 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyhomeowner View Post
Thank you Squirl. That was very informative. So, it is the postmaster who is in control of where the mail box goes. Do you know by chance if we can request the postmaster to change the location of the mail box? This is in the city of Flower Mound.

Cheers,
-D.
Can't hurt to try but I doubt you will have luck. The post office has been losing money for a long time and will soon be cutting back to 5 day deliveries - dropping Saturday curb service altogether. If all the mailboxes are on the same side of the street it probably cuts down about 30% or more of the time a carrier needs to spend in a neighborhood. I hate curbside mailboxes. They cost the postal service tons of money and contribute to residents' isolation. After a few years the brick mailboxes are tilting or broken, the post boxes get banged up. I think every community should have mail stations like apartment communities have. I hate snail mail; most of it is total junk and a bain on the environment. JMHO.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
The location of mail boxes and how mail is delivered is negotiated by the developer, the city (because of curbing, driveways/sidewalks, and street construction), and the postal authority when developments are planned and zoned...
I doubt there is anything an individual can do to change the location of personal mail delivery once a development has been plotted and construction has started..
Your only option really is to rent a PO box and have all mail use that physical address...
if you don't want to walk across the street...
The fact is that the mail box itself (however it is constructed) is really the property of the USPS--damaging one is a Federal offense I believe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth