U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 6,084 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the Texas and are looking at the Dallas / Fort Worth area. We are currently living in west central Wisconsin. I recently had an eye opening moment and realized that I am not happy and have never been happy where we are at and my wife supports it 100%.

What we are looking for is a nice, safe middle class area. We have two children who are not in school yet but a good school district is also something we will be looking at. Another thing that we are looking for is an area with a nice hospital or hospitals since my wife is an RN. We don't mind a rural setting in fact we would prefer it.

If anyone in the area has any insight we would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 PM

519 posts, read 887,085 times
The standard answer here is...DFW is a huge area....huge. You really need to know where you will be working before deciding where to live.

Per Wikipedia:
Quote:
The metroplex encompasses 9,286 square miles (24,100 km2) of total area: 8,991 sq mi (23,290 km2) is land, while 295 sq mi (760 km2) is water, making it larger in area than the U.S. states of Rhode Island and Connecticut combined.
So you seriously don't want to be living on one side of DFW and working on the complete opposite.

And preferring a rural area is fine...that can still be found, but again, you don't want to be living (for example) on the west side of Fort Worth and commuting to Plano or something.

So, standard answer...job first and then figure out where to live.

Also...budget?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 AM

369 posts, read 1,604,675 times
So you seriously don't want to be living on one side of DFW and working on the complete opposite.

This could NOT be more true.

My wife and I live in way SW Fort Worth, and there is no way I could take a job in Dallas, much less Richardson/Plano/Frisco.

As it is, I commute from east of lake Benbrook to 287 & I-35W. Thankfully my hours are 6A-2P, so traffic isn't back on 35W...most days.

I occasionally have to do to downtown Dallas for work, but it takes 90 minutes, and it would not be possible to do, daily. I'd have to move, and I vowed, 15+ years ago, I'd never live in Dallas or Colin county, again.

My wife and I are Dallas born-and-raised, and when we moved away in late-1997, I swore I would not move back to the D/FW area.

However...Fort Worth is markedly different than Dallas/Plano/etc. I like it here MUCH better.

Though...I'll go back to the Colorado front-range, again, when I get the chance.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
The standard answer here is...DFW is a huge area....huge. You really need to know where you will be working before deciding where to live.

Per Wikipedia:

And preferring a rural area is fine...that can still be found, but again, you don't want to be living (for example) on the west side of Fort Worth and commuting to Plano or something.

So, standard answer...job first and then figure out where to live.

Also...budget?
We make around $70,000 - $80,000 up here. I'm not sure how that will translate down there. I'm a delivery driver and I'm also thinking about going back to school and my wife is an RN. Ideally we would like a place near a medical center that is not inner city.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,455,657 times
You can look around Arlington or Fort Worth for a hospital jobs - the 'burbs of Mansfield, Aledo, Alvarado, Kennedale and Burlington would fit. You might like Weatherford, too.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 AM

9,823 posts, read 20,508,296 times
Get the job first, then decide where to live. There are many suburban hospitals all over the metroplex where your wife could work. And there are also many nice, safe, suburbs with good schools, too.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Get the job first, then decide where to live. There are many suburban hospitals all over the metroplex where your wife could work. And there are also many nice, safe, suburbs with good schools, too.
Without a doubt one of us will find employment before moving. Right now we are just getting a feel for the better areas in town before we come down and explore a bit.

Also, thanks to everyone who has replied.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:19 PM

519 posts, read 887,085 times
For what it is worth a few of the major hospitals are Harris Methodist and Harris Southwest (oops...now both part of Texas Health Resources), Cook Children's, JPS (John Peter Smith), and the Baylor Health System.

The hospital district near downtown is just south of I-30 between Henderson and Forest Park. That is where Harris, Cook, Plaza, & Baylor Surgical are. JPS is just a touch SE of there along Main Street & Allen and Baylor All Saints is just south of Baylor Surgical on the south side of Rosedale. (I suggest pulling up google maps.)

In Southwest FW, there is Harris Southwest along with USMD Hospital. And there is Huguley Hospital in Burleson (@I35W just north of Rendon Crowley rd).

Of course, around all these areas are clinics and offices.

This is all just Central to SW Fort Worth, not north or H-E-B or Arlington or Dallas or Plano or Garland, etc. And I think I'm missing a few even in FW. Plus the University of North Texas Health Science Center just west of downtown FW.

Then if you look surrounding areas, there'a Weatherford Regional Med Center in, obviously, Weatherford. And Lake Granbury Med Center in Granbury.

Now, simplifying this...the 2 "medical center" areas that I think of in Fort Worth are:
1 - the hospital district just south of downtown
2 - the Harris SW Hospital area (along Harris Parkway south of Oakmont, just east of Bryant Irvin)

But someone else will have to chime in if you are considering the Dallas side of the metroplex.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,150,325 times
There are also hospitals in Cleburne, Glen Rose and Stephenville, these are more rural areas south/southwest of FW. The ones in Stephenville and Cleburne are both THR (Texas Health Resources). I have a cousin who works at Hughley, one at Cooks Childrens and numerous friends at JPS, Harris and Glen Rose. I don't know how the hiring is at the "city" hospitals (most of my friends have been at JPS and Harris for 10+ years however my cousin recently got the job at Cooks) but the rural ones are always hiring.

Like the previous posters mentioned, the DFW area is HUGE. Definitely come down and get a feel for yourself what is best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or