Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:56 AM

611 posts, read 2,234,800 times

Advertisements

here is how we all did it when I was a kid

first you have a bike with training wheels and then one day when you think you can handle it without them you go in your parents garage and get a wrench and take them off and then your brothers older friends get you on the bike and give you a good running shove sendoff and you either make it or you don't

if you do make it well that is that.....if you don't make it you crash into the light pole, the fire hydrant, the holly bushes or one of the neighbors cars that might be parked in the street and your friends come over and give you a quick 30 second session with Dr. Ticklebone and call you bad words/berate you for not getting it done and tell you to get back up and do it again.....and eventually you get it in probably 2-3 tries

no helmets or gloves or any of that stupid crap either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 09:02 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
here is how we all did it when I was a kid

first you have a bike with training wheels and then one day when you think you can handle it without them you go in your parents garage and get a wrench and take them off and then your brothers older friends get you on the bike and give you a good running shove sendoff and you either make it or you don't

if you do make it well that is that.....if you don't make it you crash into the light pole, the fire hydrant, the holly bushes or one of the neighbors cars that might be parked in the street and your friends come over and give you a quick 30 second session with Dr. Ticklebone and call you bad words/berate you for not getting it done and tell you to get back up and do it again.....and eventually you get it in probably 2-3 tries

no helmets or gloves or any of that stupid crap either
I just had to be told, "steer in the direction you fall." That was it and off I went. Training wheels just delay that.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:49 AM

3 posts, read 1,505 times
Feeling a lot nostalgic remembering about how my dad had helped me to learn cycling.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,643 times
How I learned to ride a bike: After an hour or so of the type of instruction above in a church parking lot a mile or so from our house, my dad jumped in the truck and said "I'll see you when you get home". It worked.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:40 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
How I learned to ride a bike: After an hour or so of the type of instruction above in a church parking lot a mile or so from our house, my dad jumped in the truck and said "I'll see you when you get home". It worked.
That's great. Sounds like how I was taught to swim. Pretty good incentive to learn real fast.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:15 PM

44 posts, read 73,351 times
Now I really have seen it all. What a sad society that we live in. Whatever happened to the "get on the bike, pedal, and try not to fall....but if you do, get back up and try again" mentality? The wussification of America strikes again...

Old 11-14-2013, 03:47 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centercab View Post
Now I really have seen it all. What a sad society that we live in. Whatever happened to the "get on the bike, pedal, and try not to fall....but if you do, get back up and try again" mentality? The wussification of America strikes again...
yep... I taught mine on a school dirt lot so when they fell it didn't hurt. Takes less than an hour to get a kid used to riding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth