Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Fort Worth might indeed be what you want. What about your commute to work though? Commuting from Tarrant to Dallas can be nightmarish.

You mentioned you like jazz so you also might like Keys Lounge in Fort Worth though it leans more towards blues. In any event, Fort Worth cherishes its heritage (both musical and cowboy culture) much more than Dallas does. I think that says something about the people who live there.
I work near Presby in Dallas but we are allowed to work from home as often as we like. I go to the office every day because I want to, not because I have to. If I lived in FW I'd work from home most days. We have people who live in DFW who only come in one day a week. One lady who lives in Frisco only comes in a couple of times a week, and another in Plano comes in maybe 3x a week. One guy who lives 2 miles away works from home about half the time. It's pretty awesome.

I noticed that Fort Worth seems to have more interest in preserving its heritage than Dallas does. That's one thing that has always bothered me about Dallas...it has no soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 AM

167 posts, read 334,872 times
Working from home is indeed awesome. My daily commute is about 20 feet.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
The good thing about working near Presby is that you could take the TRE and connect to the DART rail. It might be slightly slower than driving, but the trains have wifi and many people sleep, listen to music, etc. on the train.

I will echo what everyone else has said about Fort Worth vs. Dallas. I grew up on the east side of Dallas, and lived there as an adult for several years, but I am SO much happier in Fort Worth! It's not nearly as pretentious, people are friendlier, there are more fun things to do, etc.

And personally, I have no need for a Whole Foods since I have Central Market. YMMV...

Old 09-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
The good thing about working near Presby is that you could take the TRE and connect to the DART rail. It might be slightly slower than driving, but the trains have wifi and many people sleep, listen to music, etc. on the train.

I will echo what everyone else has said about Fort Worth vs. Dallas. I grew up on the east side of Dallas, and lived there as an adult for several years, but I am SO much happier in Fort Worth! It's not nearly as pretentious, people are friendlier, there are more fun things to do, etc.

And personally, I have no need for a Whole Foods since I have Central Market. YMMV...
It sounds like it has potential, for sure.

I'd miss Whole Foods because there are some items I can only find there that I really like, but I could go there once a month and stock up. No need to go every week. I go maybe once a month as it is.

If y'all had HEB and Sprouts I'd be totally set.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM

420 posts, read 705,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It sounds like it has potential, for sure.

I'd miss Whole Foods because there are some items I can only find there that I really like, but I could go there once a month and stock up. No need to go every week. I go maybe once a month as it is.

If y'all had HEB and Sprouts I'd be totally set.

There is a Sprouts in Southwest Fort Worth, Keller, and Southlake.

I think the closest HEB is in Granbury, about 40 minutes SW of Ft Worth.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
There is a Sprouts in Fort Worth

TEXAS - Fort Worth in Fort Worth, TX - Sprouts Farmers Market

And there's an HEB in Burleson which isn't that far away, if you're doing a once-a-month stock-the-shelves trip like you plan on doing with Whole Foods.

In general though, shopping isn't as good in Fort Worth as Dallas. Neither Northeast Mall nor Hulen Mall can compare to NorthPark.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
There is a Sprouts in Southwest Fort Worth, Keller, and Southlake.

I think the closest HEB is in Granbury, about 40 minutes SW of Ft Worth.
Good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
There is a Sprouts in Fort Worth

TEXAS - Fort Worth in Fort Worth, TX - Sprouts Farmers Market

And there's an HEB in Burleson which isn't that far away, if you're doing a once-a-month stock-the-shelves trip like you plan on doing with Whole Foods.

In general though, shopping isn't as good in Fort Worth as Dallas. Neither Northeast Mall nor Hulen Mall can compare to NorthPark.
I like to shop, but I rarely go to NorthPark. If I wanted to go there I'm sure I could deal with the drive...I'm not a big-time luxury shopper.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:46 PM

13 posts, read 46,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No. This isn't Miami.
LOL. I gathered What I meant was there's not a lot of Asians in Miami. Oriental Asians, I mean.

I wonder about the Asian population in FW. I've been told about Arlington but I found out its a really big city. Having lived in LA and Vegas, I'm looking for a smaller city with less traffic and less of the crazy-wild club scene.

Also, what are hipsters?

Old 09-10-2013, 04:00 PM

232 posts, read 360,628 times
I love Fort Worth and Dallas, but after living in Fort Worth and enjoying all the great things that are in this city, it sort off gets boring because Fort Worth lacks huge developments which usually get people excited I love Downtown Ft Worth but when I go to Dallas, my reaction is wow... I wish Fort Worth looked more bigger, but cities that are more liberal tend to be bigger when it comes to business but they also have a bigger number of crazy people who want legalize everything and go crazy (like Austin) so I basically love Fort Worth but envy a lot of things from Big D... *sigh, I hope Fort Worth starts big developments that would make the city more awesome-er than it is now! and when Fort Worth grows I hope it stays conservative, if we stay conservative and have huge developments than Fort Worth would be the best city on Earth

Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
I love Fort Worth and Dallas, but after living in Fort Worth and enjoying all the great things that are in this city, it sort off gets boring because Fort Worth lacks huge developments which usually get people excited I love Downtown Ft Worth but when I go to Dallas, my reaction is wow... I wish Fort Worth looked more bigger, but cities that are more liberal tend to be bigger when it comes to business but they also have a bigger number of crazy people who want legalize everything and go crazy (like Austin) so I basically love Fort Worth but envy a lot of things from Big D... *sigh, I hope Fort Worth starts big developments that would make the city more awesome-er than it is now! and when Fort Worth grows I hope it stays conservative, if we stay conservative and have huge developments than Fort Worth would be the best city on Earth
I've lived in Austin before when it was about Fort Worth's size and didn't miss Dallas at all. If I lived in Fort Worth I'd be happy to just visit the glitz in Dallas then leave it behind at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth