Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times

Advertisements

I'll be honest, I hate Dallas. I hate the attitude, the glitzy materialism, the fake snooty pretentiousness, all of it. I just can't stand it.

I keep thinking about moving and I look at places far away and get discouraged. Then this weekend someone suggested the obvious: Fort Worth. I'd never considered it at all.

I was born and raised in Dallas and have been to Fort Worth to go to museums, the zoo, and the odd cultural event here and there but I barely know the city. I can just about bumble my way through downtown and back to Dallas without getting too lost. I haven't explored the city at all.

It was described to me as the "anti-Dallas", the opposite of Dallas. Yin to Dallas's Yang. People say it's like Austin's laid-back but more conservative older brother. Does this sound accurate at all?

I'm sorry, these questions must seem insanely stupid coming from a Dallas native...but there it is. If I ventured over to Fort Worth next weekend to have a look around, where should I look? Where is a cool place for a single, late 30-something woman to live? Where in Fort Worth is like Lakewood or one of the other older, nice affluent-but-not-rich neighborhoods in Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 03:37 PM

420 posts, read 700,836 times
I live in Fort Worth, but I still like both Fort Worth and Dallas so hopefully that doesn't discredit my opinion.

It's definitely not as materialistic as Dallas. That is for sure. People tend to dress a lot more casually when they go out on the weekends versus many hot spots in Dallas where people play dress up. Although Fort Worth has its share of affluence, money isn't as big of a factor in the general social scene. I'd say it is quite a bit more laid back like Austin. But it also has less diversity than Dallas, which to me is one where Dallas comes out ahead. Dallas has a huge arts district now that they've recently poured a lot of money into, but I still enjoy Fort Worth's arts scene more. It's just hard to beat the Kimbell and the Modern, but those are just my biased opinions.

For something like Lakewood I'd look at Tanglewood (and many of the surrounding TCU neighborhoods), Monticello, Crestwood, some parts of Arlington Heights. Fairmount is a great historical neighborhood district, but it's a younger population than Lakewood overall and some blocks are definitely not as nice and well kept as others. (I'd liken it closer to Junius Heights). Schools won't be as good as Lakewood in Fairmount.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
I live in Fort Worth, but I still like both Fort Worth and Dallas so hopefully that doesn't discredit my opinion.

It's definitely not as materialistic as Dallas. That is for sure. People tend to dress a lot more casually when they go out on the weekends versus many hot spots in Dallas where people play dress up. Although Fort Worth has its share of affluence, money isn't as big of a factor in the general social scene. I'd say it is quite a bit more laid back like Austin. But it also has less diversity than Dallas, which to me is one where Dallas comes out ahead. Dallas has a huge arts district now that they've recently poured a lot of money into, but I still enjoy Fort Worth's arts scene more. It's just hard to beat the Kimbell and the Modern, but those are just my biased opinions.

For something like Lakewood I'd look at Tanglewood (and many of the surrounding TCU neighborhoods), Monticello, Crestwood, some parts of Arlington Heights. Fairmount is a great historical neighborhood district, but it's a younger population than Lakewood overall and some blocks are definitely not as nice and well kept as others. (I'd liken it closer to Junius Heights). Schools won't be as good as Lakewood in Fairmount.
What are the zip codes for those areas, do you know? I've heard of Tanglewood but it would probably be out of my price range. I wouldn't be looking to spend more than $300k, preferably under $250k.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:03 AM

13 posts, read 46,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post

Hi. I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am also looking into moving to the DFW area. When you said there's less diversity...could you please elaborate? I am a single Asian female. Should I be concerned about my safety? Are people going to stare at me when I'm walking around (this actually happened to me in miami)?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:30 AM

167 posts, read 332,699 times
Tarrant county has a large Asian population, especially Arlington and Haltom City.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:32 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,147,928 times
Fairmount is a great starting point. It's part of a broader area that's being called Near Southside and I'd consider it a blend of Oak Cliff and Junius Heights. Go down on a weekend and explore Magnolia Avenue, especially the restaurants and bars. The original Spiral Diner is here. It's close to the Arts District, the Hospital District, and downtown. Lots of older homes, some in better shape than others. Lots of hipsters, too, so there's that. But it's not as ostentatious as Dallas can be. You might also look into Mistletoe Heights and Ryan Place, which are nearby historic residential areas but they might be a bit pricey at this point. Cool houses though. http://www.mistletoeheights.org/index.html; Ryan Place

If you're a Dallasphobe, avoid the redeveloped West 7th area as it's basically Dallas West -- lots of shiny new condos, apartment homes, and transplated Dallas restaurants.

If you're a foodie or an arthouse movie fan, the one big difference between Dallas and Fort Worth is the lack of some choices. There's no Whole Foods yet in Fort Worth (one is being built though and there is a Central Market); the closest Whole Foods is in Arlington. There's not a ton of great Asian food in Fort Worth proper (have to go to Haltom City or Arlington for good Vietnamese and there's not a lot of great Indian food at all), and the only choices for non-blockbustery films are the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth on weekends (they usually get films a few weeks after they've played the Magnolia or Angelika in Dallas/Plano) or you have to hike up to the AMC Grapevine Mills which sometimes books things that are off the beaten path. It's the same with the big concerts, bigger indie bands, etc. You'll have to come over to Grand Prairie (Nokia), Deep Ellum (Prophet Bar, Dada, etc.) Oak Cliff (Kessler), downtown (AAC), to see them.

Things are getting better though with The Live Oak, Lola's, Panther Island Pavilion (outdoor concerts along the Trinity River), the new Queen City Music Hall in Fort Worth. Fort Worth itself has a good little music scene with some good local bands.

The Lone Star Film Festival (coming up in November) gets bigger every year. And with the new public space being built -- a real town square (which will also feature more retail) -- that should be done in a few weeks, Fort Worth should have a really cool downtown public space that it was lacking before. And, as you probably already know, downtown Fort Worth doesn't have the corporate, big-city vibe that Dallas aims for. It's much more compact, walkable, low-rise and friendly yet still urban.

Downtown does have a cool jazz club though in the Scat Jazz Lounge (probably better than anything in Dallas at this point in terms of jazz). And if you bike at all, Fort Worth is ahead of Dallas in terms of bike lanes and supporting cycling culture. There's even a city bikesharing program, something Dallas does not have. Fort Worth Bike Sharing

Last edited by TrueDat; 09-10-2013 at 07:01 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkYellowRain View Post
Hi. I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am also looking into moving to the DFW area. When you said there's less diversity...could you please elaborate? I am a single Asian female. Should I be concerned about my safety? Are people going to stare at me when I'm walking around (this actually happened to me in miami)?
No. This isn't Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Fairmount is a great starting point. It's part of a broader area that's being called Near Southside and I'd consider it a blend of Oak Cliff and Junius Heights. Go down on a weekend and explore Magnolia Avenue, especially the restaurants and bars. The original Spiral Diner is here. It's close to the Arts District, the Hospital District, and downtown. Lots of older homes, some in better shape than others. Lots of hipsters, too, so there's that. But it's not as ostentatious as Dallas can be. You might also look into Mistletoe Heights and Ryan Place, which are nearby historic residential areas but they might be a bit pricey at this point. Cool houses though. Mistletoe Heights Association; Ryan Place
Good to know!

Quote:
If you're a Dallasphobe, avoid the redeveloped West 7th area as it's basically Dallas West -- lots of shiny new condos, apartment homes, and transplated Dallas restaurants.
Sounds like Uptown Junior. No thanks!

Quote:
If you're a foodie or an arthouse movie fan, the one big difference between Dallas and Fort Worth is the lack of some choices. There's no Whole Foods yet in Fort Worth (one is being built though and there is a Central Market); the closest Whole Foods is in Arlington. There's not a ton of great Asian food in Fort Worth proper (have to go to Haltom City or Arlington for good Vietnamese and there's not a lot of great Indian food at all), and the only choices for non-blockbustery films are the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth on weekends (they usually get films a few weeks after they've played the Magnolia or Angelika in Dallas/Plano) or you have to hike up to the AMC Grapevine Mills which sometimes books things that are off the beaten path. It's the same with the big concerts, bigger indie bands, etc. You'll have to come over to Grand Prairie (Nokia), Deep Ellum (Prophet Bar, Dada, etc.) Oak Cliff (Kessler), downtown (AAC), to see them.
Luckily I am neither; I do sometimes go to Whole Foods but I could hit one in Arlington and stock way up. I have a freezer in my garage and it would come with me wherever I go. I rarely go to the movies at all, let alone art house stuff.

Quote:
Things are getting better though with The Live Oak, Lola's, Panther Island Pavilion (outdoor concerts along the Trinity River), the new Queen City Music Hall in Fort Worth. Fort Worth itself has a good little music scene with some good local bands.

The Lone Star Film Festival (coming up in November) gets bigger every year. And with the new public space being built -- a real town square (which will also feature more retail) -- that should be done in a few weeks, Fort Worth should have a really cool downtown public space that it was lacking before. And, as you probably already know, downtown Fort Worth doesn't have the corporate, big-city vibe that Dallas aims for. It's much more compact, walkable, low-rise and friendly yet still urban.
Every time I've been to downtown Fort Worth I have been impressed by it. It seems so much nicer than downtown Dallas.

Quote:
Downtown does have a cool jazz club though in the Scat Jazz Lounge (probably better than anything in Dallas at this point in terms of jazz). And if you bike at all, Fort Worth is ahead of Dallas in terms of bike lanes and supporting cycling culture. There's even a city bikesharing program, something Dallas does not have. Fort Worth Bike Sharing
I don't cycle, but I do dig jazz. Dallas has no good places for live jazz except MAYBE the Balcony, and parking there SUCKS....

Old 09-10-2013, 08:38 AM

156 posts, read 282,194 times
Tanglewood zip code 76109, the homes that feed into Tanglewood Elm generally start at about 350K, though there are duplexes/townhomes and apartments that are below 300K and they are incorporated into the neighborhoods so they don't have that complex vibe. The other neighborhoods listed above are great too, especially if you don't have to worry about schools, 76104, 76110.

Arlington Heights off Hulen and I-30 is a up and coming area where lots of younger folks are buying homes, right by Central Market, 76107.

Having lived in most of the other major Texas cities, Fort Worth is by far my favorite, just have to push pass this batch of construction, with the toll road coming into the SW side of FTW and connecting up to Downtown the traffic is a bit of a mess but that will clear once the road is done (slated for summer 2014).

Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWRunner View Post
Tanglewood zip code 76109, the homes that feed into Tanglewood Elm generally start at about 350K, though there are duplexes/townhomes and apartments that are below 300K and they are incorporated into the neighborhoods so they don't have that complex vibe. The other neighborhoods listed above are great too, especially if you don't have to worry about schools, 76104, 76110.

Arlington Heights off Hulen and I-30 is a up and coming area where lots of younger folks are buying homes, right by Central Market, 76107.

Having lived in most of the other major Texas cities, Fort Worth is by far my favorite, just have to push pass this batch of construction, with the toll road coming into the SW side of FTW and connecting up to Downtown the traffic is a bit of a mess but that will clear once the road is done (slated for summer 2014).
Thanks for the zips! I had looked in roughly that area because I found a nice reform synagogue on Google and living within 1-2 miles of one is important to me. I found very little in my price range in 76109 but there are some adjacent neighborhoods where I might get lucky. I wouldn't want a duplex/townhome because I have a dog and I can be quite noisy. Plus, I don't like other peoples' noise so sharing walls with me probably wouldn't be a pleasant experience for anyone involved.

I loved some of the cute little cottages I saw on realtor.com...from the 20s and 30s with breezy porches, lots of hardwoods, darling front yards. Only major issue would be that many lack a garage. That's a must-have for me and they're very expensive to build. But that would only be an issue if I actually decided to move.

I need to visit. I seriously need to get out of Dallas. I was born and raised here but I've lived in Austin and in several countries in Europe. I've been back in D for several years and I have to be honest, I just HATE it. I'm absolutely miserable here. The only reason I moved back is my family; I have one remaining grandparent who is in her 90s, my mother was disabled by a stroke 3 years ago, and my dad isn't terribly healthy either. I want to leave the area so badly but I would feel guilty if I was too far away from my family because sometimes they need me to help them out. Fort Worth might be just the compromise that could work. I'd be out of Dallas in a totally different city, but only 30-40 miles away so I could leap into action if necessary. Plus, my nephew lives in Fort Worth in one of the areas you listed. I might get to see more of him.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,147,928 times
Fort Worth might indeed be what you want. What about your commute to work though? Commuting from Tarrant to Dallas can be nightmarish.

You mentioned you like jazz so you also might like Keys Lounge in Fort Worth though it leans more towards blues. In any event, Fort Worth cherishes its heritage (both musical and cowboy culture) much more than Dallas does. I think that says something about the people who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth