Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 6,270 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Idaho for the past 15 years and am considering a work related move around the west side of Fort Worth.

I telework (work from home) and travel occasionally. Commute for work is not a concern, but it could be for doing fun things like going to a nice restaurant, dating, going to a game etc. Generally I like to live out of town just a bit and be able to head into the city when I want to do something.

It is probably relevant info, my salary is at least $55k and I'd like to spend up to $150K on a house.

I am looking at Denton, Decatur, Weatherford, Azle and Springtown. Was really interested in Granbury, but the news hasn't been encouraging.

I was pretty interested in Weatherford until I learned that the they need a lot of construction to catch up with the growth. How would you rate it otherwise as a place to live?

Decatur, still trying to get an idea of what it is about. If you have an opinion or input would love to hear it.

Denton, sounds like my kind of town and maybe in a strange way not unlike Boise Idaho. If I can afford a decent house in a nice part of town it might be the winner. Any input on Denton?

Azle sounds like it had some earthquake activity recently? On the interwebs looks like a nice place other than that.

Springtown is a bit far, maybe farther than I realize but seems nice too so would like to hear any opinions.

Appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:28 PM

54 posts, read 109,034 times
of all the places you mentioned i would say denton over the rest. my first choice would be above the loop off heritage trace west of i35. new cosco going in there and within 2 years is going to be way more dense and worth way more money

Old 12-30-2013, 07:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Going by your budget and wants I would say Denton - it still has a bit of small town feel to it but you are close to everything.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 AM

540 posts, read 1,105,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koljgn View Post
I was pretty interested in Weatherford until I learned that the they need a lot of construction to catch up with the growth. How would you rate it otherwise as a place to live?
Not sure what you've read or what you mean by a lot of construction needed. There is active construction going on right now re: the widening and upgrading of south Main St. But it is coming along and will be terrific when complete. There is also work going on to complete a loop around the western part of the city. That is currently complete from Hwy 51 north of downtown around to Ranger Hwy. It will eventually reach I-20.

I live around Annetta South, between Aledo and Hudson Oaks and so I often go into Weatherford for shopping instead of Fort Worth. Plus my parents lived in Weatherford for @3 yrs a few years ago. Weatherford does have a lot to offer. And it's a quick trip into Fort Worth. And there are quite a few houses in the sub $150k range. I would say the downside might be that selling a house in Weatherford can be challenging...so choose wisely. But in terms of day to day necessities and shopping and some basic chain restaurants along with some local cafes, Weatherford has a lot going for it.

I would agree that Denton is also a solid choice. I would avoid Azle and Springtown myself.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,270 times
Good info, appreciate the replies.

@texas_nightowl - Those posts I found may have been a few years old. It sounded as though the area had outgrown the streets to the point of heavy traffic in town during busy hours. That must have cleared up when the construction completed.

I think I have narrowed it down to North Denton and Weatherford. Talking with a realtor, sounds like the cost of living there and here in the Boise area is roughly the same which is fantastic.

Thanks for the help

Old 12-30-2013, 01:03 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koljgn View Post
@texas_nightowl - Those posts I found may have been a few years old. It sounded as though the area had outgrown the streets to the point of heavy traffic in town during busy hours. That must have cleared up when the construction completed.
Just to re-iterate...the construction is not complete. It is still ongoing, but it will be terrific once completed. There was a good stretch of S. Main that was 2 lane and will now be 4 lane all the way thru. The main problem used to be that when heading south on Main street, the road narrowed from 4 lane to 2 lane (plus a turn lane) for a good mile stretch approaching I-20. Caused significant backups! This is where they are widening right now. That said, there are ways around a good bit of it and it is fairly easy to avoid that stretch of South Main.

The other problem area for a while was on Hwy 180 at Santa Fe where they were replacing/widening a bridge over the railroad tracks. That did cause backups for quite a while but that has been complete for at least 9 months now if not longer.

Anyway, I don't consider traffic in Weatherford bad at all.

So good luck no matter which place you choose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth