U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM

59 posts, read 105,384 times

Advertisements

I want your opinions,insights , thoughts please! I'll try to be as organized and thorough as possible here:

Background: I grew up in H.E.B. Parents currently live in Bedford, inlaws in Carrollton. Husband, baby and I live in uptown Dallas. Ready to go back to the burbs.

Specifics on what I want (in order):
  • Close to my parents (max 20 min drive)
  • Fantastic Schools
  • $350-$450k home (less is obviously fine)
  • size at least 2300 sq ft. dont like homes close together
  • open to older homes but husband prefers pretty much brand new (2010+)
  • decent commute to downtown dallas (30-40 min is fine)
  • non-horrific commute to carrollton to visit inlaws would be a bonus
My thoughts so far (here's where I want your insight...)
  • Areas I was considering: Grapevine, Colleyvile, Keller, Southlake, Trophy Club, Coppell, areas of HEB in other school districts
  • Grapevine looks like the way to go. Colleyville coming in as a close second if I can find a home hubby and I can agree on in our price range
  • Euless has some homes and new developments that feed into GCISD - any opinions on this area and the particular schools? Any developments you like better than others?
  • Grapevine also has that small area that feeds into Carroll ISD. Seems like an amazing deal. Grapevine taxes for Carroll schools?? Whats the catch here... Is Carroll really all its hyped up to be?
  • GCISD in general: which are the best middle and high schools? I'm not sure if theres a clear deliniation as back when I was in school in HEB it was very obvious...
  • Would you say GCISD is a fantastic school district? Which ones, in your opinion, are better? (Carroll, Coppel...others?)
anyone know any good realtors that know this area well and can help me before I go insane? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 02:21 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,455,657 times
How property taxes work: You pay the school tax rate for the school district that serves your residence. If the house is in Irving and is served by Coppell schools, you pay Coppell school taxes. This would be the same if you lived in Grapevine, Euless or any other place and your house was zoned to another school district

Old 03-25-2014, 02:24 PM

Thanks Squirl!! Seriously - I spoke to a real estate agent that had a house listed in grapevine for carroll schools and she said "yeah it sold the day we listed - you know grapevine taxes for carroll schools? you cant beat that!"

wtf. Now I feel stupid.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:28 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,455,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambee786 View Post
Thanks Squirl!! Seriously - I spoke to a real estate agent that had a house listed in grapevine for carroll schools and she said "yeah it sold the day we listed - you know grapevine taxes for carroll schools? you cant beat that!"

wtf. Now I feel stupid.
Property taxes are a sum of:

School District
City
County
Hospital District

Sooooo....the "break" in the Grapevine scenario would be less taxes in the City section. It may be less than the same appraised house in Southlake, just depends on the comparison city.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:32 PM

2,834 posts, read 3,756,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambee786 View Post

wtf. Now I feel stupid.
She probably meant Grapevine city taxes, which are lower than Southlake's. Property taxes have 3 components - city, county, and ISD.

That said, it's hardly a huge difference - IIRC Southlake's rate is .462% (and IIRC there's now a homestead exemption on the city rate), Grapevine's is .35% with a homestead exemption. (These numbers were from a year ago and may have changed slightly) On a 400K home the tax difference between being in Southlake for Carroll and being in Grapevine for Carroll is about $740/yr. That's a nice chunk of change, to be sure, but I wouldn't base an entire 400K home purchase around it.

(I'm guessing the Grapevine homes in Carroll ISD cost over 400K, but you get the idea - in percentage terms it's pretty small).

Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM

2,834 posts, read 3,756,028 times
Re: school districts, GCISD is very good. By metrics alone Coppell and Carroll are better, but Carroll in particular is more affluent.

Among the areas you listed, I'd rank them Carroll first, then Coppell, then GCISD, then Keller (although that varies, Keller HS feeders yes, other areas maybe lower), then Northwest ISD (Trophy Club), then HEB. HEB ain't bad but this is pretty stiff competition. All that said, I continue to say that differences in "school metrics" are primarily driven by demographics and that actual differences in quality of teachers, staff, and the ending quality of education your child would receive are far less than the numbers alone might indicate.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
She probably meant Grapevine city taxes, which are lower than Southlake's. Property taxes have 3 components - city, county, and ISD.

That said, it's hardly a huge difference - IIRC Southlake's rate is .462% (and IIRC there's now a homestead exemption on the city rate), Grapevine's is .35% with a homestead exemption. (These numbers were from a year ago and may have changed slightly) On a 400K home the tax difference between being in Southlake for Carroll and being in Grapevine for Carroll is about $740/yr. That's a nice chunk of change, to be sure, but I wouldn't base an entire 400K home purchase around it.

(I'm guessing the Grapevine homes in Carroll ISD cost over 400K, but you get the idea - in percentage terms it's pretty small).

Thanks, that's super helpful to learn. There's this feeling of needing to "hurry up" and make a decision before the best deal goes away (most homes I've liked sell so quickly!), but the more I read on these boards and the more research I do its clear that there's a lot more I need to learn. Great to read your thoughts!

Old 03-25-2014, 03:18 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,655,565 times
What is your definition of fantastic schools?

For instance, what is more important to you?

Factual information like ......Test scores? Ratings? Number of students in the school? Location of the schools? What high schools the schools feed into?
Or a little more subjective things like ...... Diversity of student population? Sports programs available? Fine art programs? Academic focus? Extra curricular activities?
Or perhaps more personal like ......Parental volunteering? PTA involvement? Atmosphere of the school? Similar financial philosophy among families? (examples: from everyone gets brand new expensive car on 16th birthday to everyone rides the bus and works to buy a used car themselves)

Those put into priorities can make a big difference in where you want to be.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
What is your definition of fantastic schools?

For instance, what is more important to you?

Factual information like ......Test scores? Ratings? Number of students in the school? Location of the schools? What high schools the schools feed into?
Or a little more subjective things like ...... Diversity of student population? Sports programs available? Fine art programs? Academic focus? Extra curricular activities?
Or perhaps more personal like ......Parental volunteering? PTA involvement? Atmosphere of the school? Similar financial philosophy among families? (examples: from everyone gets brand new expensive car on 16th birthday to everyone rides the bus and works to buy a used car themselves)

Those put into priorities can make a big difference in where you want to be.

Such great questions. I struggle with this so much.

On one hand, I look at my particular scenario: my siblings and I went to LD Bell , were part of a State champion Band, graduated at the top of our classes, and went to great Universities. We were in AP/IB classes so that helped shape who we were and the other students we were around. I think we could've easily gone down a "bad path" though... but HEB isnt as highly ranked as Carroll or GCISD schools.., its more diverse. And it also seems to have more socioeconomically disadvantaged students than maybe when I was there. But this wasnt necesarlly a bad thing for me!

On the other hand, people may say we were exceptions. Maybe we did well because less competition? we were band nerds? Who knows? What if my daughter doesnt excel academically and isnt in AP/IB classes? I still want her to have good teachers and around students who value education.

similar financial philosophies is the main reason I struggle with Carroll ISD. We would probably be at the bottom of the financial pool there. I dont want her to be uncomfortable either...

For all these reasons I'm leaning towards GCISD, seems to be a good balance...

Old 03-25-2014, 08:01 PM

9,823 posts, read 20,508,296 times
I honestly can't answer too many questions about GCISD vs CISD schools since DH and I don't have children. I will say that my neighbors who do have kids love the GCISD schools.

Do remember that Euless to the north of Mid-Cities Blvd feeds into Colleyville Heritage HS. If your husband wants new construction, that's likely where you will need to look. There is one neighborhood of fairly new homes (built by David Weekly a few years ago) in Grapevine off Dooley St north of 26 that might work *IF* you could find a house there for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or