Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:51 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,418,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
"Your place"?

No, you DON'T get it because all we want are what those other "secondary" cities have, and that's just basic recognition.

You're annoyed by our simple wanting to be known as more that what the rest of the country thinks we are? We're annoyed by YOUR refusal to do so, your flat out ignorance, and this smug and arrogant attitude you seem to have towards it. You're no better than Dallasites.

It's like I said, it's INSULTING to our city to think of it the way you are. We are NOT going to just accept what everyone else says or thinks of us. If you can't understand that, then you may as well get used to us saying something about it.
I never got the impression Fort Worth has not recognized at all, seems to be fairly well known even if most people don’t know anything about it. I think you overestimate how much people know about a lot of these other secondary cities.

I’m annoyed because you think Fort Worth is so special it needs to be placed on some pedestal and given this level of attention that most cities like it don’t receive either. Plenty of other great cities out there are ignored or overshadowed. But go ahead and keep whining about it or having little twitter wars with the Weather Channel, it’s not going to make anyone care. Maybe the city needs something to make it stand out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 01:34 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,780,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I never got t impression Fort Worth has not recognized at all, seems to be fairly well known even if most people don’t know anything about it. I think you overestimate how much people know about a lot of these other secondary cities.

I’m annoyed because you think Fort Worth is so special it needs to be placed on some pedestal and given this level of attention that most cities like it don’t receive either. Plenty of other great cities out there are ignored or overshadowed. But go ahead and keep whining about it or having little twitter wars with the Weather Channel, it’s not going to make anyone care. Maybe the city needs something to make it stand out.
Still don't get it...

We're not asking for a pedestal. We're asking that you see us as an independent city, not an extension of another. That's all.

You say no one's going to care because we have a "twitter war" with a cable network, then have the nerve to say that maybe the city needs something to stand out...?

First off, what the hell do you think THIS is? Our "whining" is us trying to tell you what our city is.
Second, we DO have things that stand out. We carry the wild west image (and before you say "oh it's Texas, that's every city"...no. Every city in Texas has its own individual image and ours is the Western heritage), we have one of the best concentrations of museums and art in the country. We American Airlines and Lockeheed Martin for godsake.

It's clear that you don't know one damn thing about this town, and you just don't want to. It's hard to stand out when you have another city constantly taking credit for what it doesn't have and people like YOU who actually try your damnedest to convince people who live in that city that they should see it as how everyone else sees it.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:34 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,418,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Still don't get it...

We're not asking for a pedestal. We're asking that you see us as an independent city, not an extension of another. That's all.

You say no one's going to care because we have a "twitter war" with a cable network, then have the nerve to say that maybe the city needs something to stand out...?

First off, what the hell do you think THIS is? Our "whining" is us trying to tell you what our city is.
Second, we DO have things that stand out. We carry the wild west image (and before you say "oh it's Texas, that's every city"...no. Every city in Texas has its own individual image and ours is the Western heritage), we have one of the best concentrations of museums and art in the country. We American Airlines and Lockeheed Martin for godsake.

It's clear that you don't know one damn thing about this town, and you just don't want to. It's hard to stand out when you have another city constantly taking credit for what it doesn't have and people like YOU who actually try your damnedest to convince people who live in that city that they should see it as how everyone else sees it.
I do get it, I get that you're asking for is what pretty much many other large, independent secondary cities are "asking" for. What you don't get is that you're really not any different in that sense yet seem to be trying real hard to make yourself out to be.

When I say stand out I was more thinking along the lines of things that might impress or interest a lot of people. You honestly think most people are impressed by the headquarters of AA or Lockheed Martin? lol. I'm sure Ft Worth is a great city that probably is underrated but so are a lot of other places. And I've tended to find places don't stand out for a reason, not that they are bad places at all but just nothing that great that elevates them above the pack to the national spotlight. Although that's not saying the Dallas is that great either but it simply is the primary city of the metro region and therefor gets the attention regardless of whether or not it's a more interesting city than Ft Worth.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,915,158 times
Why does recognition matter so much? Just enjoy your life.

What's funny is you keep ignoring that the weather channel has pics of San Fran on its San Jose site. So it seems they chose regional images rather than local images for their app. The snarky tweet at the councilman by TWC was uncalled for, though.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
And I've tended to find places don't stand out for a reason, not that they are bad places at all but just nothing that great that elevates them above the pack to the national spotlight.
I don't agree with that. I just think humans are herdlike. We're attracted to what other people are attracted to, sometimes for no good reason.

More people pay attention to Dallas because it's undeniably bigger, and most of the sports teams chose to be named "Dallas," oh and some tv show from before my time that I've never watched. But who cares? If you live in Ft Worth, enjoy your city for what it has and don't worry about what other people think. Envy is not attractive.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:24 PM

156 posts, read 243,176 times
Quote:
I do get it, I get that you're asking for is what pretty much many other large, independent secondary cities are "asking" for. What you don't get is that you're really not any different in that sense yet seem to be trying real hard to make yourself out to be.

When I say stand out I was more thinking along the lines of things that might impress or interest a lot of people. You honestly think most people are impressed by the headquarters of AA or Lockheed Martin? lol. I'm sure Ft Worth is a great city that probably is underrated but so are a lot of other places. And I've tended to find places don't stand out for a reason, not that they are bad places at all but just nothing that great that elevates them above the pack to the national spotlight. Although that's not saying the Dallas is that great either but it simply is the primary city of the metro region and therefor gets the attention regardless of whether or not it's a more interesting city than Ft Worth.
Correction: One of two primary cities of the metro region. There is a reason why our metro area is called the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

The problem is that most people don't understand the concept of a metro area with two primary cities because most metro areas only have one primary city. Our metro area has two primary cities.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:46 PM

But one of those cities is roughly double the population of the other.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:48 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,780,976 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post

More people pay attention to Dallas because it's undeniably bigger, and most of the sports teams chose to be named "Dallas," oh and some tv show from before my time that I've never watched. But who cares? If you live in Ft Worth, enjoy your city for what it has and don't worry about what other people think. Envy is not attractive.

It's like talking to people who can't understand English...

Remember when I typed that "it's like OUR words don't mean anything"? These posts are prime examples of that. You only read what you want to read and ignore other points I and other posters from Fort Worth make to GET YOU TO UNDERSTAND.

There's a lot of bad history between the two cities that makes it insulting (again INSULTING) to say that Fort Worth is part of Dallas... Dallas is only 1/3 bigger, so it's not far and away bigger... the DFW Metroplex does NOT revolve around Dallas, as there are TWO anchor cities as the above poster mentioned (this concept is apparently foreign to you)... it's not "envy", it's not "whining", it's called PRIDE... If you knew ANYTHING about this city, you would understand, but obviously you don't.

^^^ I expect you to just ignore all that (again) and continue to tell the people of Fort Worth what to think about their own city.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:34 PM

254 posts, read 398,246 times
First of all , I just want to take a second to delight in having stirred the pot.

Second, let me just say that I have a lot of love for San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland and several other cities that have been mentioned in this thread, however I do believe that several of the cities compared to Fort Worth are not really analogous to Fort Worth's particular situation but I understand how they are the ones that tend to come to mind.

Having said all of that, I think the thing that gets people from or who love Fort Worth so worked up in this kind of conversation is that if you are from Oakland or if you live in San Jose and tell people that, they might be likely to say "oh, the Bay Area." If you tell people you're from St. Paul, they might think to themselves "oh, the Twin Cities." But the typical response given to someone who says their from Fort Worth is "oh, the Dallas area." What's worse is that it is just as if not more typical to receive that kind of response from people right there in other parts of Texas. Now, part of that comes with the territory of being anywhere even close to that brash, loud and obnoxious city to the east. But the fact of the matter is that Fort Worth is not even given the "second city" treatment - it's given the suburban bedroom community treatment. And for such an incredible city that truly does have so much to offer, that is insulting and people in Fort Worth are touchy about it and past ready to see it left behind.

Okay, troll on...

Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 PM

Dallas is 50% bigger. It used to be double recently.

So, despite the "fact" you are so determined to hang on to that Fort Worth is such a belittled, upstaged, and ignored city, it is growing much faster than Dallas. Somebody better tell all those transplants that they didn't move to Dallas, because obviously they must have thought that they had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth