Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 09:15 AM

16 posts, read 19,166 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family is relocating to the DFW area from Austin for my husband's job. We are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with great schools. Here is the list of possibilities that I've been working on, but would really like to narrow it down further. We are looking to spend $200k-$220k on a home and hubby would like to limit his commute to 45 minutes. Could y'all please help us find the best fit? Are there any areas on my list that need to be removed due to our three big criteria of schools, budget, and commute? Any areas I missed? I'm open to any and all suggestions!

His office will be located in Dallas, off of W. Davis, just inside loop 12.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 AM

Forgot the list.....

🔹Euless (23)
🔹Bedford
🔹*Coppell (26)
🔹*Grapevine (29)
🔹Hurst (33)
🔹North Richland Hills (36)
🔹*Flower Mound (36)
🔹Haltom City (37)
🔹*Plano (38)
🔹Mansfield (39)
🔹Watauga (41)
🔹Saginaw (46)

Last edited by Austin-DFW; 06-17-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 10:43 AM

58 posts, read 97,392 times
Oh boy. I think you're really underestimating the size of the metroplex. I'm from Austin, and trust me, the metroplex dwarfs Austin and it's traffic (Even though Austin is getting worse and worse).

Almost every community you listed would *maybe* give you a 45 minute commute in the mornings, but iN the afternoons, you'll easily be over an hour. You can cross off: Coppell, Grapevine, NRH, Flower Mound, Haltom City, Plano, Watauga, Saqinaw. The rest, may be okay, but honestly there's tolls involved and it still might not be less than 45 minutes in the evening.

Your best bet is South Arlington and Mansfield. Mansfield is very nice. The homes are newer, and it is a growing suburb. I don't know much about their schools, but considering the growth in the area, they're probably not bad. They have an excellent athletic center.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 AM

Thank you Frog Fan. Do you know about how long the commutes would be from S. Arlington and Mansfield during rush hour? What about if hubby were to work from 7am-4pm?

Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
I agree that Mansfield, south Grand Prairie or South Arlington are going to be the best places. You might consider Cedar Hill, too.

Most of the cities on your list will be a long drive, and several would require paying tolls, too.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:13 PM

58 posts, read 97,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-DFW View Post
Thank you Frog Fan. Do you know about how long the commutes would be from S. Arlington and Mansfield during rush hour? What about if hubby were to work from 7am-4pm?
Honestly, I can't give you a time. I don't commute that way, and other than when I worked in the Parks Mall, I haven't been a regular out there. BUT, I can tell you the commute from these areas would be much more feasible compared to the other communities you listed. I'm sure there is someone on this forum who has driven that way many times.

Traffic on the roadways before 7am will not be that big of an issue. However, 4pm will be the beginning of rush-hour. It might not be as bad as leaving at 5pm, but it won't be as smooth as the morning commute. The thing is, if 4pm is his leaving time, and he can't leave at that time for whatever reason, traffic will only get worse and worse every minute he leaves later. I'm a fan of leaving no earlier than 5:30 because if I get stuck in the office, by 6pm by drive is as easy as the morning. Every roadway is different, however. He may need to play around with his office hours (if he's allowed) to find a time that works best.

Try looking at DFW on google maps during rush hour. See where the back-ups are along the route your husband would take coming from Arlington and Mansfield.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 PM

Ok. Thanks again!

Thanks ChristieP! You helped me out on the Dallas forum as well. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth