Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 01:12 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,107 times

Advertisements

Private sector involvement is tricky since the whole thing is being billed as a public works flood control project. The reality is that the flood control need of the project is largely manufactured through removing the levies to open up the riverfront for development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 07:23 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
More on it...

Panther Island will move ‘full steam ahead’ despite funding slowdown, proponent vows

Old 10-05-2018, 09:58 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
Private sector involvement is tricky since the whole thing is being billed as a public works flood control project. The reality is that the flood control need of the project is largely manufactured through removing the levies to open up the riverfront for development.
Good post.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:04 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
I bet you in a couple of years they will be asking Fort Worth tax payers for more money to complete the project. There is no guarantee that they will receive a dime from the federal government to finish TRV.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I bet you in a couple of years they will be asking Fort Worth tax payers for more money to complete the project. There is no guarantee that they will receive a dime from the federal government to finish TRV.
Depends on 2019. According to this statement from the Corps of Engineers, there's still the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act.

Personally, I believe the latest funding was cut for taxcuts, but I don't want this thread to get into politics...

Old 10-05-2018, 12:02 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post

I've heard speculation for years that the city of Fort Worth will not let the project die and will do whatever it takes to get it funded, even if it means on the city's dime. Take it with a grain of salt since much of that came from city employees worried about the viability of their pension, but I don't think it's completely unfounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Personally, I believe the latest funding was cut for taxcuts, but I don't want this thread to get into politics...
I don't think you're completely off base, but it's ultimately up to the COE. They get a funding pool and it's their decision on how they distribute the money.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:03 AM

286 posts, read 382,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
I've heard speculation for years that the city of Fort Worth will not let the project die and will do whatever it takes to get it funded, even if it means on the city's dime. Take it with a grain of salt since much of that came from city employees worried about the viability of their pension, but I don't think it's completely unfounded.

I don't think you're completely off base, but it's ultimately up to the COE. They get a funding pool and it's their decision on how they distribute the money.

I have to wonder, and just for fun. What happens if the plans fall through? Is a demolition of the bridges likely? would they just start to sell off the inner city land with the current zone requirements anyway? That inner city land is RIPE for development with or without an island.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringamac92 View Post
I have to wonder, and just for fun. What happens if the plans fall through? Is a demolition of the bridges likely? would they just start to sell off the inner city land with the current zone requirements anyway? That inner city land is RIPE for development with or without an island.
Yeah, but the "island" is part of a flood control plan. That's really all this entire project is. Development is just marketed along side it.

The bridges (which didn't have to look special) are about halfway through... would seem like a complete waste to just tear them down now.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:53 AM

35 posts, read 26,086 times
This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Spending way too much money on what is basically Nothing for the vast majority of the people here.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakertaylor28 View Post
This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Spending way too much money on what is basically Nothing for the vast majority of the people here.
Excuse me...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth