Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,317 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Relocating to Fort Worth with American. Only been to Fort Worth once, so I'm unfamiliar with areas in which to live.

My spouse and I are mid-50s --- one child left who is entering HS. We are looking for an area that offers houses (0-5 years of age) on larger lots (no postage stamps) from about $250-$400K range. Safety is key (I'm a runner), but access to supermarkets and other shopping (Target, Home Store, restaurants) is desireable.

Most important is the H.S. Who has the best H.S.? Our child has made a couple transfers for my job in the past several years and it's been difficult to say the least. Trying to find a nice area with warm people (albeit, a gamble, we know). Our last move placed us in a community where people are rather cold and to themselves vs. welcoming. Don't want a repeat. We'd also prefer neighborhoods where we have others in our age group --- a common ground. Therefore, not looking for a neighborhood where people are just starting out with their families. We hope to retire in this home, and we are open to regular and golf communities.

An easy commute to American would be nice, although I'm willing to sacrifice for the right area. Right now, I sit in traffic one hour each way, despite only 15 miles from my work, so anything less than an hour is desireable.

In advance, thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 AM

540 posts, read 1,105,283 times
Look, I'm going to let others chime in on the commute as I am less familiar with that part of the area.

However, this:
"houses (0-5 years of age) on larger lots (no postage stamps)"
is mutually exclusive.

Newer developments 99.9% of the time will be on the tiny lots except at price points above yours.

As a test, I visited a realty website that allows searches by school district. I chose the ISD's of Grapevine-Colleyville, Keller, and Birdville. When I tried to find homes that were built after 2009 and had at least 1/3 acre lot in your price range, there was exactly 1 result. And it was a floor plan only and had not been built. When I dropped the age restriction and searched those ISD's with just the lot size requirement and price range, there were 39 results. So I'm saying you may have to compromise on that.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 PM

440 posts, read 866,866 times
Not sure where your job is with American-I do know however a lot of people pilots/air crew and maintenance service peeps etc live in Roanoke and Trophy Club-The ISD is Northwest and the school is Byron Nelson-my kids transferred there as high schoolers and we have been extremely happy there..
Trophy Club and roanoke have lots of sidewalks and Trophy club park and Linear bike trail for running/hiking etc and you will be safe in these areas-this area holds several 5k and the odd triathlon as well. You will find smaller lots on the newer side of TC but on the older side there are definitely more established homes on larger lots

Old 07-15-2014, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,317 times
Thanks to the both of you for great replies.

I can compromise on age of home. Size of the lot is workable -- long as we have a lot where I don't have to close my blinds all day so that I don't have to look into my neighbors living room, I'm okay with that. That is what I have to do now. I can hear my neighbors conversations.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:55 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,533,977 times
Grapevine hands down. Your child will do great at GHS or CHHS. Wide range of activities whether you have a sporty one, brainy one, theatrical, etc you get the picture. Lots of groups to plug into- he/she will have many opportunities to find a tribe. The kicker is, it will not be new construction. For that, you'll have to do Birdville or Keller, which will be a major downgrade both in commute and school district quality.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:56 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Grapevine, in the attendance zone for Colleyville Heritage HS.

There are no crime issues, and plenty of shopping, restaurants, etc. Commute to AA will be a snap!

Now that the age requirement on the house isn't a restriction, you will have more choices. Unfortunately, you will need a good realtor and you will need to put in offers quickly as the market here is HOT!

Old 07-16-2014, 07:25 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,533,977 times
We just went under contract in Colleyville in this price range, zoned to CHHS, and the house had 6 offers!!! On MLS 1 day. PM me if you want my realtor's name. She is great.

I can also give you some neighborhoods to hone in on. One to avoid, and it stinks b/c it's such a pretty neighborhood, is the Plantation off Cheek Sparger. It is HEB ISD not GCISD.

Get plugged in with a realtor who understands that the attendance zone thing is important and they can set you up on the NTREIS search where you get email updates. I can PM you another site that in my experience was the most up to date and allowed a school name filter.

best of luck to yall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth