Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 AM

19 posts, read 26,986 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to DFW. Husband will commute to Grand Prairie. Looking for excellent schools. Prefer to stay below $450,000 with a yard, sidewalks, and trees. Have read much regarding schools and home values, but most of the threads are from a few years ago. Anything that anyone would like to add that may have changed in the last few years in terms of schools and home values? Are the schools in Southlake really that much better than Keller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 11:39 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Both of those cities will be a LONG commute to GP. I would suggest that you look in Mansfield to keep his commute reasonable.

$450 is really entry level in Southlake. You will be able to get more home for your budget elsewhere.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:47 AM

58 posts, read 97,364 times
I'm not sure many people will like this post, but whatever. People are always asking for the #1 school district and it's always southlake. But Southlake is VERY expensive. Then, they go on and on nitpicking the details of numerous Suburbia ISDs, which in the end are all about the same- they're probably not even THAT much better than Southlake. Sure one school in oner district might out perform another, but irregardless, Unless your Child has a unique circumstance, any ISD will wonderful that you mentioned in this post as well as your previous.

If you want to spend the $$$$ to get into Southlake ISD, then sure, go ahead - I think your budget would get you in...Maybe. But I think many people will tell you Keller will give your Child an Excellent education...as well as Grapevine-Colleyville, and even Birdville.

I think a more important aspect to consider is have you even thought of your Husbands commute to work? Keller/Southlake to Grand Prairie would be ridiculous. That would put him on the worst roads in Fort Worth at the worst hours. I don't think Keller or Southlake ISD would be worth the terrible commute.

Where in Grand Prairie is the office? If it's more south, I'd cross Grapevine-Colleyville off the list. If that's the case, look into Mansfield. Homes there will be right in your budget, and their schools are great (I actually know teachers and students in this ISD).

Old 07-17-2014, 11:55 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonewallHC View Post
My family is relocating to DFW. Husband will commute to Grand Prairie. Looking for excellent schools. Prefer to stay below $450,000 with a yard, sidewalks, and trees. Have read much regarding schools and home values, but most of the threads are from a few years ago. Anything that anyone would like to add that may have changed in the last few years in terms of schools and home values? Are the schools in Southlake really that much better than Keller?
Overall Carroll ISD puts up considerably better metrics than Keller, but Keller HS and feeders are apparently quite good. I have a friend who resides in the Keller HS and has positive things to say about the district.

That said, given the demographics in the Keller HS area, it does seem to underperform relative to what one would expect.

However, given your preference (below 450K), you'll have a small selection these days in Southlake. If your husband is commuting to Grand Prairie, I'd look in Colleyville or Grapevine ahead of Keller. Very good schools and likely an easier commute (straight shot down 360), and there should be a respectable collection of choices at your price point, although it is definitely a hot market.

Cedar Hill might also be a good choice. Parts are VERY pretty and IIRC it's more affordable as location is inconvenient for many job centers in Dallas or north Dallas (but it's adjacent to Grand Prairie). Only issue is school metrics aren't as high. Cedar Hill Collegiate (a charter school) puts up good but not superb numbers.

Check the areas out and see what fits you best. Others can likely contribute more info.

ETA- I know little about Mansfield but since others have noted it, I'd add it to your list as well. I'd definitely check that ahead of Keller.

Last edited by synchronicity; 07-17-2014 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: saw subsequent posts

Old 07-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Mvc

175 posts, read 183,594 times
Southlake is NOT a long commute to GP I work in South Arlington and my commute is easy. 30 minutes to I 20, 35 minutes to where I work on Matlock. You are going against traffic morning and evening on 360 (going the opposite direction is a parking lot). Southlake, Grapevine and Colleyville are easy for this commute. Keller would be a little longer.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:36 AM

394 posts, read 1,256,865 times
I tend to agree with Mvc that the commute from Southlake to GP would not be a deal breaker IMO. One thing that was a deal breaker for me regarding Southlake was that purchasing a home in the $450K price range would have put my family decidedly on the pauper end of the Southlake pecking order. I would have always been keenly aware that we were one of the poorer people in my kid's school district... and in time they would become keenly aware of this fact, as well. I have found in my years and experiences that it is more comfortable to be in the middle or decidedly towards the upper end - income wise - of the community that you choose. I seriously don't need the headaches involved with keeping up with the neighbors. I prefer to let my neighbors keep up with me .

My $0.02.

-Old Man Simpson

Last edited by Eric S; 07-18-2014 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: darn typo

Old 07-18-2014, 10:11 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,709 times
Don't be another Kellerite who clogs up 1709! Look elsewhere.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 PM

19 posts, read 26,986 times
These are great posts with helpful insights. Like Eric S., I am concerned about the demographics in Southlake in regard to income. Middle ground might be more healthy.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:27 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonewallHC View Post
These are great posts with helpful insights. Like Eric S., I am concerned about the demographics in Southlake in regard to income. Middle ground might be more healthy.
On the one hand, there is much to be said for buying in the "most desirable" area you can, even if it's the "cheapest" house. From a strictly financial/investment point of view, this is usually an excellent idea.

OTOH, "numbers are easy, people are difficult". In any area, being perceived as the "poor people" can lead to some issues. Southlake has a bit of a rep for pretentiousness, and there are some people who live down to that (even if most don't). But no matter the 'burb, there are always "Joneses" out there who will look down their noses at your perceived failure to keep up with them.

I'd steer clear of Keller for commute issues, but otherwise there are plenty of great choices outside of Southlake, as already noted upthread.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Personally I would recommend Lewisville ISD in Flower Mound--
and look at map to see how close your husband's job site is to the GBT--
it is more money since it's a tollway but it now runs south of I-20--
can be crowded in peak hours but still probably better than some other routes...

I think Mansfield schools might be a disappointment--Mansfield's scores and rep are not living up to its promise from the early 2000's from what I have seen...
Martin HS in Arlington ISD if you have older kids has good rep and decent scores...probably a better choice than Mansfield...
Cedar Hill is smaller but that isn't always a negative--
check it out on the TEA site--all districts' scores by schools are listed---

because of the way Texas ISDs work it is rare that you have an ISD with demographics like Southlake Carroll's--that is what drives that district's reputation--
demographics...and there are some under achieving kids in it comparatively--
just as there are in other districts....One high school which in the past has consistently outperformed Carroll in National Merit scores in Paschall HS in FTWISD--
most districts don't have the resources of monied parents with high expectations and involvement, access to extras like tutoring for whatever weakness is under the spotlight, and other needs taken care of...

There are many districts who can give a student a quality education--if they want it and have parental support...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth