Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 06:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,034 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am moving from Louisiana to begin employment with Birdville ISD. I will be working at 2 different schools which are located in Haltom City and Richland Hills. I have an elementary school aged child. I am planning to rent an apartment for the first 6-12 months to become familiar with the area. I am hoping to pay no more than $900/month for rent and don't have pets. Since I will be traveling between 2 schools/cities, commute time and ease is very important along with general safety of the area I live in. Please help me come up with some good options since I am not familiar with the area. Also, if there are any reputable apartment locators I should contact, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 07:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,626,799 times
Look at a Google Map w/two schools' locations--
Are you moving during the day--from one to other AM/PM?
if so where you live is not that impactful since your drive time is really before/after school hours...
you would want the best apt in best school rating for your daughter IMO--
you don't have to live in BISD zone--

I would not recommend Haltom City--but I don't know exactly where those boundaries run--maybe there are newer/nicer apts in north part if that works for you...
Fossil Creek area might be in Haltom City--that is along 820 Loop but that freeway is bear for driving/commuting...
NRHills has lot of apartments
you could also look in Hurst and Bedford which are fairly close (depending on where schools are located)--you want to use surface roads if at all possible since Airport Frwy is still under construction from Hurst into FTW ---west of NE Mall--and even with earlier hours for school I think there can be lot of traffic--

My suggestion--spend time with a good map of area that shows the main surface roads as well as freeway--
check school locations--
for each school Google "apartment search" and see apts that come up--
you can tell pretty quickly which look desireable--
In HEB many of the apartments might feed into an elementary school that is not the closest one--due to leveling for size--so I would check with your district as to which schools feed any NRHills apt you might like

Don't look at FTW/SE/E--
don't know an apt locator--

look at the TEA site for Birdville ISD, HEB ISD, maybe Keller ISD--
the zones don't go by city limits but ISDs can flow into 2-3-4 towns and 1 town could have 2-3-4 ISDs depending on size of municipality...
some elementary schools have no apts zoned into them--

check crime maps and the search sites for registered sex offenders--
that might not be really really current info but gives you idea--

Harwood Rd going through Hurst and Bedford has apartments
most are older but some are pretty well maintained and have trees
there is apt complex right across street from one of best elementary schools in HEB--Meadow Creek--on Harwood in Bedford
there is also apt complex across street from Bedford Heights--off McLain Dr I think is the street in Bedford--Bedford Heights had good rating last word I had...

don't know prices for units--guess you want 1 bedroom--
rents are high in MidCities--you might have trouble finding what you want at your price point

good luck with school
BISD is pretty nice district and jobs there usually very competitive
PS--HEB used to do after-school hours at school sites and give teachers a break on their pricing if you need after school care
schools usually open about 30-40 min before first bell and kids can get breakfast (free-lunch or pay for it) at the school
don't know about BISD's practices...

Old 08-07-2014, 08:24 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,594,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_girl79 View Post
Hi. I am moving from Louisiana to begin employment with Birdville ISD. I will be working at 2 different schools which are located in Haltom City and Richland Hills. I have an elementary school aged child. I am planning to rent an apartment for the first 6-12 months to become familiar with the area. I am hoping to pay no more than $900/month for rent and don't have pets. Since I will be traveling between 2 schools/cities, commute time and ease is very important along with general safety of the area I live in. Please help me come up with some good options since I am not familiar with the area. Also, if there are any reputable apartment locators I should contact, please let me know.
I'd suggest looking for an apartment that would put your child into a better school than where you will be working-most likely anyway based on the cities you mentioned. That means most of North Richland Hills would be a good choice. On the southern end of the city would be Snow Heights or Holiday Heights which would be fine choices. Foster Village or Smithfield a little more north would be fine as well. North Ridge or Green Valley even further north would be top choices.

Apartments are pretty much everywhere. Since you will be working in Haltom City as well as Richland Hills, I'd go for the western part of NRH and that will likely put you 10-20 minutes from any of the possible schools. However, you have to factor in whether or not you have enough time to get your child to school and be at work on time. You must live more than 2 miles from a school in order for your child to ride the bus, otherwise you are responsible for getting your child to and from school. Elementary school starts at 8:10 and most won't open the doors until 7:40. So, if you have to be there before 8:00, it may be a challenge unless the school has a before/after program.

I would stay far away from any apartment on Booth Calloway, Hwy 10 or Harwood. Those tend to have higher crime and are zoned for less desirable schools. I'd also be hesitant to go into Haltom City without really getting to know the area myself and I don't know enough to say for sure about them.

You can check this to see which schools a particular address is zoned for in Birdville: Edulog WebQuery

Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,732,998 times
Second the recommendation to stay away from Booth Calloway and anything in Richland Hills or Haltom City. Stick to Hurst or NRH. Areas north of 183 are usually better than those south of 183.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,034 times
Thanks you guys for your suggestions. I found an apartment locator who sent me a long listing of apartments within the 3 cities. Thankfully, with your suggestions and information from some other postings about the area, I decided to eliminate Haltom City and Richland Hills as possibilities, at least until I am able to see for myself and will focus my efforts on North Richland Hills. Wish me luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth