Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:37 AM

13 posts, read 28,261 times

Advertisements

We're coming to DFW this weekend to house hunt. We need to find a place quickly as my husband has a move date of 12/12...in just weeks!!! Our realtor isn't really understanding what we need though.

We don't have a ton of requirements for a home. We don't need stainless steel appliances or granite countertops (yay House Hunters drinking game). We'd actually prefer a fixer upper and are totally fine with neighborhoods that are a little rough but have potential. The one big requirement is that there be a bus or train within walking distance. And by walking, I mean a mile or less. Two bedrooms is fine, and we'd even be okay with just one bathroom. We do have an elderly chihuahua who needs to use the restroom about 10 times a day so a small yard is essential.

We can't have kids so we don't want to be in a suburb that only caters to families. So the ability to be able to go to museums, concerts, microbreweries, etc. by bus or train would be fabulous. I have sight issues that mean I can't drive at night and I want my husband to be able to have a couple of drinks and not worry about driving.

My husband works near DFW airport so a reasonable drive to there is important.

So our realtor sent us listings for Bedford and Hurst? The single most important thing was being near transportation and those cities don't have that AT ALL!! Where should we be looking? We're approved for $200,000 but we don't want to spend the max amount. I have cancer and we had a ton of medical bills (even with fabulous insurance...yikes). We don't want to end up house poor so we'd like to stay under budget in case I have to have more treatment.

We also don't want to rent first. We have 3 cats and a dog and finding a rental that would work is going to be insane. We have to buy a home within a year or we don't get the mortgage assistance that my husband's company offers. And quite frankly, my body doesn't need the stress of two moves in less than a year. So I need help!!! We're firing that agent and are looking at Irving to start. Any other suggestions?? Cross posting on the Dallas forum.

Last edited by kopakatz; 10-21-2014 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 10:34 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
If you need public transit, then Irving is the only place that's going to work. Public transit is nonexistent outside of Fort Worth in Tarrant County, so you are going to have to stick to Dallas County.

There are small homes close to the downtown Irving TRE station, but be forewarned that the area is somewhat low income and higher crime. Also, the TRE does not run on Sundays at all.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 AM

13 posts, read 28,261 times
If Fort Worth has transit and Dallas has transit, shouldn't we be looking there then?? Are all real estate agents automatically going to not look in Fort Worth and Dallas? He didn't even send us listings for those locations or comment on the listings we sent him that were from Fort Worth and Dallas. We really like the area of Dallas that's near Love Field. We have friends there, including one that works with my husband and loves the commute. But he completely ignored the listings that we sent him for that location.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:42 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
The only problem with the area near Love Field is that there are parts that are very high crime, and other parts that are out of your budget. Most people would consider that too long of a commute to DFW, too. I'm guessing that your realtor primarily deals with Tarrant County suburbs, so he isnt familiar with Dallas. You might need a different realtor...

Old 10-21-2014, 03:01 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Is there any way you could go there yourself for a day or two? Perhaps get a hotel for overnight so you can drive around and check out areas for yourself? Then take note of any houses for sale in areas you might consider? Just a suggestion.....

Old 10-21-2014, 03:03 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopakatz View Post
If Fort Worth has transit and Dallas has transit, shouldn't we be looking there then?? Are all real estate agents automatically going to not look in Fort Worth and Dallas? He didn't even send us listings for those locations or comment on the listings we sent him that were from Fort Worth and Dallas. We really like the area of Dallas that's near Love Field. We have friends there, including one that works with my husband and loves the commute. But he completely ignored the listings that we sent him for that location.

If you have to do the realtor's work for him, why have him?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:06 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Why do you not have a talk with the coworker who is already in the area? We found our home in six hours of stress 101 but a week or so would have been nice. Board the furries.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:47 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
look in downtown Irving. Walk to rail and plenty of bus stops, too. Great news for you, downtown Irving is experiencing a big revival with lots of city money being spent on the downtown area. Look in zip codes 75060 and 75061. The train is near Main Street & Rock Island, right near the fabulous public library and the beautiful Centennial Park.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:49 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you need public transit, then Irving is the only place that's going to work. Public transit is nonexistent outside of Fort Worth in Tarrant County, so you are going to have to stick to Dallas County.

There are small homes close to the downtown Irving TRE station, but be forewarned that the area is somewhat low income and higher crime. Also, the TRE does not run on Sundays at all.
there are some really cute neighborhoods in the downtown area. And crime is not a scary rate. I am actually looking for a place down there to buy. Lots of money is being spent by the city to revive the Main Street area.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:17 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
Come down, and get an extended stay hotel unit in the Las Colinas area. Bunches of them. Then look around. But whatever you do, do not plan on relying on bus or rail to get you where you want. Yes, you can take the train downtown into Dallas, but realistically you are going to have to plan on automobile commute. DFW is not a northeast city. Consider that Washington DC would fit within the inner loop of Dallas. DFW is sprawling, and the museums, theaters, etc are far and wide.

(Lived in DFW almost 30 years, just moved).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth