U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,919 times

Advertisements

I'm a single male with no kids age 30 thinking about buying a house in Fort Worth. The geographic area that I'm considering is on the south side. (76115, 76133) North of 20, south of Seminary dr, around McCart. I'm only wanting to spend $50-70k max. Most of the houses in this area seem to be small 50s houses and I kind of like them. The only thing holding me back is some people have warned me that this is an undesirable neighborhood and crime rates are high there. However, I've driven through there quite a few times and haven't noticed any thugs, gangs, shady looking people or much to give me pause. So my questions are...

1. How bad is the crime there if it is bad?
2. Would it be likely to affect me or my house and possessions?
3. Is the area declining, improving, or just holding ground?
4. Is there anywhere in the immediately adjacent area that you would recommend over this one for the same price point?
5. Any other knowledge or experience that you think may help me with this problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 04:45 AM

10,323 posts, read 21,978,901 times
That is NOT a safe area at all. You have been given correct advice. Look at some online crime maps on the FWPD's website and you will see what I mean. There are good reasons that the houses there are so cheap! That part of Fort Worth has been low income, high crime for decades, and it likely won't turn around any time soon. The big risk you take is having your vehicle stolen, or your home burglarized and your valuable posessions stolen. Honestly, at that price point, you should rent in a safer area.

Crime Information | Fort Worth, Texas, Police Department

Old 02-12-2015, 07:07 AM

968 posts, read 1,062,771 times
Agree. No bueno! Keep saving until you can increase your budget and improve your target neighborhood. Do you work near there, or attend TX Weslyan or SWBTS? Don't need specifics just wondering what it is about that area other than the cost of homes. I hate to break it to you but far SE FW is tough. The gentrified area is over by the hospital to the W side of JPS closer to downtown and all the fun stuff happening on Magnolia.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM

262 posts, read 280,764 times
"However, I've driven through there quite a few times and haven't noticed any thugs, gangs, shady looking people or much to give me pause."

That bold quote should answer your question Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and yes there are facts to back up some statements, I would want to know where the people who tell you to not live there, live themselves and whom they surround themselves with that makes them feel safer and someway superior by zip code? lmao. Our city is so populated that its hard to judge hundreds of thousands of people and/or their respective communities by one zip code. If we broke it down by sections things would be alot different. I lived in the 76115, and 76110 areas for four years (2009-2013) and it is a great area that has improved alot. City has invested in lighting, new roads and street signs, and improvents on sidewalks and even new stoplights. The vast majority of the area will be hispanic, with plenty of caucasian older folk still living there. Most of the communities in the 76115 will be vacant during the day as the vast majority are also blue collar workers. There are no "thugs" or "gangsters" unless you want to go door knock and go look for some lol. As for personal belongings and home? Well I hate to be "that guy" or "Mr. Know-it-all" but I work in the insurance business. And 99% of the time we see break ins occcur to people who don't have an alarm system, or don't do anything to protect their belongings, basic common sense such as locking your door, having a dog, having proper lighting are all keys to preventing theft. Now if I was you I would spend some free time maybe an hour or so on a Saturday during the day and see for yourself how "dangerous" the 76115 is lol. The nicer parts of the 76115 will be north of "la Gran Plaza" and East of "Southwestern Baptist Theological" and I only say that because the houses will be older and more historic, than the newer 60's and 70's style homes. I will say to look into the 76110, you will find similar homes at similar prices that may interest you.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,919 times
First off let me say thanks to each of you for answering and providing your opinions.

I was hoping they were cheap because they were old houses that are less than 1,000 sq ft. I've checked out the maps quite a bit. They always leave me feeling even more uncertain. They show crimes in the area but they show quite a few crimes pretty much everywhere in town besides the places i'll never be able to afford. When I use sites like neighborhoodscout to compare it shows similar crime rating colors for even the areas that have been recommended to me as alternatives. (Benbrook, Crowley) For comparison I also checked out some places I used to live. For a few years I lived directly south of UTA in Arlington in and apartment off Cooper and Park Row that shows to be extremely high crime but I never had any issues and I felt safe walking down the street. Though I knew it going in with an apartment it's easy to move if i hated the area. Buying a house is sinking tons of money that I wont get all back if I find out it's a mistake.

They reason this area is good for me is because I'm a field technician and this is the center of the area that I cover so it would be very convenient to have my house there where my commute would be nothing and I could stop by during the day.

You hit it bringamac. This is why I'm asking here so I can hopefully get people that have first hand experience with actually living there. Everyone that has told me not to live there in person owns $200k+ houses outside the city and have never lived in Fort Worth proper. So I don't know how much their opinion is just them being afraid of old cheap neighborhoods that aren't majority white. I'm definitely going to try to spend a lot more time there before making a final decision. It just didn't strike me as scary like driving through the places south east of downtown or in Dallas. If I do decide I'm almost certain I'll get an alarm and keep everything locked up including my car in the garage if it has one. And it's kind of relative to me. For example if I got burglarized once during my life while living there that wouldn't bother me too bad. But if the burglaries were frequent say more than once every ten years I would have a big problem with it. So I'm trying to get a handle on the specifics.

Anyone else live there or know someone that has?

Old 02-12-2015, 12:09 PM

15,894 posts, read 16,020,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringamac92 View Post
"However, I've driven through there quite a few times and haven't noticed any thugs, gangs, shady looking people or much to give me pause."

That bold quote should answer your question Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and yes there are facts to back up some statements, I would want to know where the people who tell you to not live there, live themselves and whom they surround themselves with that makes them feel safer and someway superior by zip code? lmao. Our city is so populated that its hard to judge hundreds of thousands of people and/or their respective communities by one zip code. If we broke it down by sections things would be alot different. I lived in the 76115, and 76110 areas for four years (2009-2013) and it is a great area that has improved alot. City has invested in lighting, new roads and street signs, and improvents on sidewalks and even new stoplights. The vast majority of the area will be hispanic, with plenty of caucasian older folk still living there. Most of the communities in the 76115 will be vacant during the day as the vast majority are also blue collar workers. There are no "thugs" or "gangsters" unless you want to go door knock and go look for some lol. As for personal belongings and home? Well I hate to be "that guy" or "Mr. Know-it-all" but I work in the insurance business. And 99% of the time we see break ins occcur to people who don't have an alarm system, or don't do anything to protect their belongings, basic common sense such as locking your door, having a dog, having proper lighting are all keys to preventing theft. Now if I was you I would spend some free time maybe an hour or so on a Saturday during the day and see for yourself how "dangerous" the 76115 is lol. The nicer parts of the 76115 will be north of "la Gran Plaza" and East of "Southwestern Baptist Theological" and I only say that because the houses will be older and more historic, than the newer 60's and 70's style homes. I will say to look into the 76110, you will find similar homes at similar prices that may interest you.
I completely agree with you. I lived on 5th avenue for 4 years in the late 1990s - early 2000s and we never had a problem with crime. You do have to protect your house, though. An alarm system is the key. The homeowners in that area are generally very good about looking out for each other.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I completely agree with you. I lived on 5th avenue for 4 years in the late 1990s - early 2000s and we never had a problem with crime. You do have to protect your house, though. An alarm system is the key. The homeowners in that area are generally very good about looking out for each other.

No way!?! I lived on 5th ave off of Biddison! miss living there. Neighbors really did look out for each other. My Mexican neighbors always brought me food for free lol. good times there.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:22 PM

"Everyone that has told me not to live there in person owns $200k+ houses outside the city and have never lived in Fort Worth proper. So I don't know how much their opinion is just them being afraid of old cheap neighborhoods that aren't majority white."

this is so true. I think the issue is more "Class" than anything. There are white people there, they just aren't the type of white people that the higher income folk are proud of. I'm white and I can care less, but like I've said prior; to each his own lol. Hope I didn't open a can of beans with that statement.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:25 PM

626 posts, read 875,930 times
If the original poster's budget is in the $50-70k ballpark, he/she could definitely do worse than the neighborhood in question. Is it as crime-free as lily white Grapevine? No, probably not. But it's also not completely unsafe and you're not at some huge risk of being a victim of property crime if you take steps to protect yourself (alarms, get to know your neighbors, etc.). You're certainly not going to have gang warfare waged on your street or wake up to your car on blocks every morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth