U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 02:20 PM

54 posts, read 244,445 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to the Fort Worth area, but west of the city. We currently have a hobby farm in TN (chickens, goats, rabbits, gardens). Hubby has a job opportunity in Fort Worth or Weatherford. Not sure where the office will be. We would probably like to live in Weatherford or Mineral Wells on farmland (3 acres or more). Any input on a quiet conservative community? We don't mind the boonies. It takes us almost an hour to get to the city here and that's fine. Thank you for any input. We would want to stay below $180k for the home/land. Also, do most homes have tornado shelters or not? I'm a little worried about tornadoes! I do love trees, grass and hills and I'm not noticing a whole lot over there. Is it flat in Weatherford and a little hilly with trees in Mineral Wells? Just trying to get a feel for the area. We love TN landscape, but everyone who is from Texas loves it there. Must have some awesome people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 08:58 PM

9,823 posts, read 20,504,756 times
Please don't worry about tornadoes. They really are rare, and few homes have shelters. You should worry about them if you move to Oklahoma or Kansas since those states get far more tornadoes than Texas.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 PM

519 posts, read 886,916 times
Not trying to discourage you, but you will miss trees. I lived in North Carolina for 12 years (Raleigh) and now live just west of Fort Worth and I do miss real, big, green, shade-giving trees. There are some around, especially if there is any sort of creek around, but on the whole you will miss trees. Also, there has been drought going on the last few years but even so, available water is much less than you will be used to.

There are occasional hills, but much of the area is more "rolling plains" rather than hills.

Highly recommend a few days down here before you make any decision!

If his job ends up in Fort Worth, a commute from Mineral Wells would be pretty long. The good news is, there is a new bypass on the west side of Weatherford so that you no longer have to go thru Weatherford (and all the stop lights) to get to Mineral Wells.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:25 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,571,039 times
I think you're looking in the right places. Both towns have a country slow paced feel to them, although the last time I drove through Weatherford it had grown a lot! It almost kind of feels like a suburb with all the stuff popping up on the highway.

Mineral Wells is a lot more hilly, a lot more remote because it's not on an interstate, but housing prices are probably more reasonable because of that. There's not a lot of options for groceries and restaurants there, but I guess you can pick that stuff up on the way home, or head into town on the weekends.

I've never seen a tornado hit either town on the news. I know Granbury got hit a few years ago, but tornados aren't something I'd really worry too much about. If it happens it happens, but the odds of it happening to you are small.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:30 PM

905 posts, read 953,440 times
Schools a consideration at all?

If the job is in Weatherford, look in Peaster, Garner, Strawn, or even Brock.

If the job is in FW, I think you would regret going further much west than Wford and I'll tell you why- that Eastbound commute is about to gain a bunch of residents once Walsh Ranch goes live. Keep that in mind. I would keep my fingers crossed that he gets Wford so y'all can stay West of the whole deal.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
My birthplace - haven't been back since I left as a 5 yr old.

Sad to see this happen to Mineral Wells, TX

Tornadoes Touch Down Across Texas, Oklahoma - ABC News

Old 08-21-2015, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,814 times
I moved from Kentucky 1 1/2 ago to Abilene,TX for a job and I can tell you that you won't get any big trees here. Mesquite is just about all that grows wild. No home in Texas will have a basement or cellar as it is illegal to have them. The ground shifts too much and the city government along with the engineers won't allow it. If you are working in Ft. Worth I would recommend Weatherford. It has everything you need there. I do recommend going to Pappadeaux's if you like seafood. There are several locations thoughout Ft.Worth and Dallas and yes they are two different cities. It will take an hour or more to go from Dallas to Ft.Worth. Weatherford has a more small town feel and is easy access to the DFW airport.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,814 times
I really like Strawn....great small country area.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:34 AM

8 posts, read 6,559 times
I moved from Fort Worth to Phoenix in 1982. You don't know what missing the green is till you've spent all of your adult life in the AZ desert. I am not trying to be facetious, I promise. But, when you drive from Phoenix to Fort Worth, and you have gone through Abilene; and starting to approach Parker County (in the springtime) the green hills and different shade of green trees as far as you can see......well, it just always takes my breath away! And usually I say to myself, "Ahhh....God's Country".
I will give you that Texas is a huge state, so no.....you don't get the green throughout the state. And, it's humid as a sweat room! But, I'm coming back. And I hope to find a home with a little land in the Weatherford, Aledo, Granbury and yes, Mineral Wells areas. Back to my family, though not too close. :-)
Sorry if I was out of line here, but I'm new and this is my first post. So please be nice to the new kid.
Thanks
Barb

Old 10-19-2016, 04:44 AM

8 posts, read 6,559 times
Thank you, chenoa! I'll add there as a possible place to look. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or