Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 AM

9 posts, read 11,152 times

Advertisements

Hola city-data forum!

I am a 30 something VA employee, planning on relocating to the DFW to be closer to my family that has recently relocated there as well. We have visited quite a few times, they live in the Keller area, which is great. But it is a little expensive and out of our budget as far as first time home buying. So I wanted to get some suggestions about what alternatives there are to Keller for us more, lower-middle income folks.

We are looking to either rent for no more 1200.00 per month, or a home with 4 beds 2 baths for around 180,000. We have 2 children one is 3 years old going on 30, and the other is 9 years old, so a good school district is important.

We will more than likely be working from home so commute doesn't concern us, but we would like to be close to our folks in Keller.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 08:33 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,681,429 times
That budget is going to be tough. Getting a house in a safe neighborhood with decent schools for under $200k is almost impossible in today's real estate market. You are probably going to have to look at far north Fort Worth, which I don't usually recommend due to the lack of city services and relatively high taxes, or in an older neighborhood in Keller, North Richland Hills, or Watauga. Avoid anything in Haltom City or North Richland Hills that feeds into Haltom HS.

Remember that in Texas, school district boundaries do not follow city limits, so verify school district and school feeder pattern before making a commitment.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:39 AM

Thanks for that, I guess living in Kansas City has spoiled me a little bit when it comes to cost of living being so low. Far North Fort Worth seems so far from everything, but I guess one will have to make due.

Thanks for that information!

Old 05-29-2015, 12:54 PM

22 posts, read 34,414 times
You might be able to find something in that budget, but right now houses under $200,000 seem to be FLYING off the shelf so to speak. A good option is to look at new construction. That way you don't have to worry about getting into a bidding war, and you can also pick out all the finishes the way you'd like them. Check out Royse City and Forney. You should be able to find exactly what you're looking for in those two cities (low prices, decent schools.) Not to mention they both offer USDA loans, so you don't have to come up with a down payment/closing costs out of pocket.

The only problem is having to wait until the home is built (5-7 months) but you always have the option of doing short term/month to month housing until then.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:02 PM

Royse City and Forney are very far away from Keller. OP specifically said they wanted somewhere close to family in Keller...

Old 05-30-2015, 12:33 PM

93 posts, read 95,476 times
We moved from the Saginaw area (though technically in FW city limits) about a year ago and sold our 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 3200 sq foot house for 160 - though I know the market has increased some. We were in EMS ISD and liked the elementary school. I went to the Y in Keller every day and got there in 20-25 minutes so that area shouldn't be too far from your folks.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:23 AM

150 posts, read 416,113 times
I second the Saginaw suggestion. You'll find both Saginaw and Fort Worth addresses that feed into the Eagle Mountain-Saginaw ISD. We currently have homes for sale in our area that range anywhere from 150K to 215K

Old 07-01-2015, 09:15 AM

Think I am gonna settle on Grapvine, thanks for everyone's assistance. There is a lack of diversity but everything else outweighs that.

Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:42 AM

Grapevine is really nice. I've lived here since 2012.
There is diversity, though not as much as other suburbs. GCISD has an excellent dual-language program in several elementary schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth