Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:21 AM

383 posts, read 900,913 times

Advertisements

Have you guys ever thought about building a stadium for the Mavs or the Stars and moving them west? It's worked for other multi-city markets such as The Bay Area, the Twin Cities and Tampa Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:36 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I do not like Fort Worth at all,it is to cowboy-ish. In my whole life I have been to Fort Worth one time.
That's your problem, you have only been one time and you probably went to the Stockyards. So yeah, that would be why you think FW is "cowboyish" but that is certainly not the overall feel of FW. You would know that if you visited more than once.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:29 AM

368 posts, read 1,785,547 times
Both my wife and I were born-and-raised in Dallas.

When we left 'bout a dozen years ago, to look for anything other than Dallas...and something with a view, Denver was it. We were happy there. However, a career change (from finance to IT, good move there), sent us to Portland, OR. After that, I needed some of the hippie reject washed outta my hair, so we spent four years in Vegas.

When the economy turned, it hit Lost Wages very, very hard. Those of you who understand beta, the D/FW-area has a beta of about .6, Vegas is about 5. When it's good for the country, Vegas does exceptionally-well. When it turns bad, it gets hit five times worse.

When my Lovely Wife suggested we move back to Texas, I fought it. After we went to Austin for a while, and jobs there are just as bad as anywhere...you need someone with a masters bagging your groceries? Head to Austin.

When we moved back to the Metroplex, I stated, flat-out, "we're not living in Dallas or Colin county, and I'm doing my best to not work there, either".

As a result, week-before-last, we purchased (borderline stole) a house in SW Fort Worth, and I've found it's what Portland, OR, wishes it was, as a city.

Fort Worth is to Dallas like Canada is to the USA. Being a neighbor, you can't escape being overshadowed by the rude, obnoxious, uncouth cousin just next door.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
To get back to the actual title of this thread, I am repeatedly surprised and somewhat appalled by people outside the DFW Metroplex who think Dallas and Fort Worth are the same place. Why would they have two different names then? I don't think I've ever heard people express the belief that Minneapolis and St Paul are the same, though perhaps more people are aware of Minneapolis and simply may not know that St Paul even exists - I dunno. I'm not sure if the confusion stems from people talking of "Dallas-Ft Worth" , DFW airport, the DFW Metroplex (as per my own phrasing above) or what. I've lived in both cities, so always think this ignorance a travesty, but then I'm equally appalled when someone thinks that Arlington is the same as Dallas. I doubt there's any real solution to the problem.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
[quote=doctorjef;13563374]To get back to the actual title of this thread, I am repeatedly surprised and somewhat appalled by people outside the DFW Metroplex who think Dallas and Fort Worth are the same place. Why would they have two different names then? I don't think I've ever heard people express the belief that Minneapolis and St Paul are the same, though perhaps more people are aware of Minneapolis and simply may not know that St Paul even exists - I dunno. I'm not sure if the confusion stems from people talking of "Dallas-Ft Worth" , DFW airport, the DFW Metroplex (as per my own phrasing above) or what. I've lived in both cities, so always think this ignorance a travesty, but then I'm equally appalled when someone thinks that Arlington is the same as Dallas. I doubt there's any real solution to the problem.[/quote]

Arlington is nothing more than extended Fort Worth.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 AM

383 posts, read 900,913 times
Quote:
more people are aware of Minneapolis and simply may not know that St Paul even exists
I wouldn't go that far. On a few maps, Saint Paul is featured and not Minneapolis due to the virtue that Saint Paul is the state capitol and not Minneapolis.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:32 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
Have you guys ever thought about building a stadium for the Mavs or the Stars and moving them west? It's worked for other multi-city markets such as The Bay Area, the Twin Cities and Tampa Bay.
Why don't Fort Worth just get its own NBA or NHL teams?? Why does it have to have Dallas'?? Dallas spent a lot of money on the 9 year old American Airlines Center and they are not going to give up the Mavs and Stars to flipping Fort Worth. Good grief!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:37 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth natives I know when I travel around the country and I say that I am from Fort Worth they reply aw your from dallas and I respond no I am not I am from Fort Worth. Fort Worth never gets the recognition that it deserves and we are tired of it. We have to promote our city and stop giving Dallas all the credit. Fort Worth has 9 fortune 500 companies 7 that is within city limits. Some major cities do not have one. The Texas Motor Speedway is in Fort Worth, but yet commentators still refer to it as the Texas Motor Speed Way in Dallas. This is very disrepectful to the citizens of our great city. These type of things have to stop and needs to stop now. We are the fastest growing city in North Texas, the state of texas, and the nation needs to know that we are a force to be recond with. FORT WORTH PRIDE!!!!!
Yet Fort Worth already desperately wants to be the top gun. How is that any different than how you now feel about Dallas doing it to Fort Worth?? You guys have been trying to overtake Dallas as the largest metroplex city since the days of Amon Carter. Hypocrite much??

Old 05-29-2010, 10:06 PM

36 posts, read 93,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth natives I know when I travel around the country and I say that I am from Fort Worth they reply aw your from dallas and I respond no I am not I am from Fort Worth. Fort Worth never gets the recognition that it deserves and we are tired of it.
Speak for yourself. I like Fort Worth, and don't mind flying under the radar.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:17 AM

41 posts, read 113,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
If you never been to Ft. Worth then why does it matter?..They are still the Dallas cowboys...dang!!! And the fact that u said u dont care for dallas that much (which is irrelevant)lets me know that you are tryna find a way to discredit Dallas in some kind of way....Gosh Houstonians!!!!......face reality....it dosent matter how much yall stress that yall Hate Dallas...its not gonna change the fact that we are indeed here..and in texas we are definately a city to be reckoned with...weather you wanna say we need fort worth or even just over express how much u like fort worth better than Dallas..WE ARE STILL THE MAIN CITY!!!!!!And its funny how everybody go's well overboard about how horrible of a city and fke Dallas is...but if u think about it..if we are so horrible...why does everybody want to compare their city to us?...Why are we the city to beat if we are a poor excuse for a city?...Its halarious...every city in texas wants to beat out Dallas for SOMETHING!!!! or point out how we suck....Yall need to get over it.
I never said anything wrong about Dallas in my comment!!!!!!!!!! I was just wondering why Dallas clames to have so many things that it does not actually have!!! And I am not stupid I know that they are called the Dallas Cowboys!!!!! But i think that it is stupid when people say that the stadium is in Dallas when it is not!!! And why does it matter if I do not like Dallas!!?? I was just wondering that is all!! And so what if you guys are the main city! With out Ft. Worth Dallas is nothing!!!! That is why the metro area is so big due to Ft. Worth!!! Houston has no other big city near it!!! I just think that it is about time that Ft. Worth gets some recognition!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth