Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 11:13 AM

8 posts, read 12,417 times

Advertisements

I am evaluating a possible relocation from Mission Viejo CA to Ft. Worth area. I like, Grapevine, Southlake, Flower Mound based on my internet research.

I have 2 kids and need excellent schools, and home wise I can go up to about 750K although I prefer to stay lower than that to keep the property taxes reasonable (currently $7,500 in orange county).

Ultimately I would like an area that is not overly congested, but has a nice suburb feel. My family loves outdoor activities and amenities like gyms, basketball courts, etc... We are looking for an area similar to Mission Viejo in California.

If anyone else has made a similar move I would be very interested in hearing your opinion on the Grapevine, Southlake, and Flower Mound areas and how they compare with Orange County. Also once you take housing out of the equation is there still a big difference in cost of living?

Lastly I am very interested to know the advantages and disadvantages of the Grapevine, Southlake, and Flower Mound areas.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 07:03 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,692,438 times
I've never been to Mission Viejo, but I can say that NE Tarrant County is a great part of the metroplex to live. My husband and and I have lived in Grapevine since 2002, and we really do like it here.

Grapevine has an excellent community center "The Rec" that is brand new and features a gym and indoor water park. Colleyville has a huge Lifetime Fitness, and Southlake has several gyms, and outdoor amenities at Liberty Park. The cities are all close to Lake Grapevine, which has beautiful lakeside parks, sports fields, and walking trails on all sides.

For your housing budget, $500k is entry level in Southlake, about $350 in Colleyville, and Grapevine varies the most; you can get a house at almost any price range in Grapevine. I will say that Grapevine's property taxes are the lowest in DFW (except for Westlake), but thanks to the city's strong retail, industrial and tourism, the city has plenty of money!

Southlake Carroll ISD has some of the best schools in DFW, but Grapevine-Colleyville ISD is close behind it. GCISD has the most racial and socioeconomic diversity. Flower Mound is covered by the Lewsiville ISD, and the campuses in FloMo are excellent. You really cannot go wrong with any of the three.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 11-30-2015, 08:13 PM

641 posts, read 795,650 times
I agree. Can't go wrong with any of those.

Property taxes are a lot higher here to make up for no state income tax or tax on medication and food. Its really your call. A lot of ppl from Cali live in Southlake. And yes, it is a big difference in cost of living

Southlake: is the most prestigious. I really can't think of negatives. It's a great place. Good living. Great shopping. Great location.

Flowermound: is a little too suburban for my taste. Some parts even feel rural. It has a little more diversity than SL and colleyville. It's a great area to live. It has great shopping options too. It's also the least congested of the four.

Colleyville: Is a little like southlake without the great shopping. It still has decent shopping options. 2nd most prestigous out of these four.

Grapevine: In my opinion is in a better location. Is more diverse. There is actually a semi rough spot located within. The other areas have nothing semi rough. It's good all over. And I'm saying semi rough relative to areas that you can basically sleep with your doors unlocked. The spot I speak of in Grapevine would be like Hollywood Hills compared to real rough areas in the metro.

If I had to rank them: 1. Southlake 2. Flower mound 3. Colleyville 4. Grapevine

Old 12-05-2015, 12:58 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,056,037 times
I know both areas very well. Both are great suburban areas close to big cities. You just wont have the climate or ocean, both great for outdoor activities. Schools are good, shopping, cost of living etc. All the stereotypes are basically true. To keep similar property taxes you'd have to buy in the 400k range.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:19 PM

111 posts, read 236,752 times
Never lived in Mission Viejo, but spent some time there.

I think you would find Southlake to be the closest match culture and lifestyle wise. There are a fair number of So Cal transplants in Southlake as well. No orange trees or ocean of course...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth