Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 07:56 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times

Advertisements

An old house in her price range is going to be in a rough neighborhood. Como, Woodhaven, Poly and Meadowbrook all look nice in the daytime, but they are not safe for an elderly woman living alone. 76106 is too close to Northside...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:14 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
I think she is going to need to adjust her "style" requirements for her budget...
Check an on-line crime map--
Even without high rate of murder/assault some areas have lot of burglary, car theft that might make her reluctant to live alone...

Old 03-07-2016, 08:24 PM

641 posts, read 801,875 times
I agree with what others have said,

She may want to avoid the entire east side bc property crime is high there. There are some very nice homes in the meadowbrook area. There are a lot of people around her age as well and the good people in that area really work together. I wouldn't blame her if she decides to move there but I would not want my MIL staying there.

I agree with whoever said the H-E-B. I would even choose NRH and Watauga over E FW.

If she is hell bent on East Fort Worth:

Stay by Oakland Lake Park (don't go south of meadowbrook or east of Jenson)
Stay in the area with these borders: Brentwood Stair to the N, Weiler to the W, Oak Hill to the E, Monterrey to S
Stay in area just North of I30 and east of white rock lake

Avoid everything else. The above areas are no walk in the park. They do have some great people living there. Be vigilant. Get flood lights on the home. Get a house dog to prevent property crime. Get a gun just in case.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:30 PM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
I cannot think of a low crime area with vintage homes in her price range. But I don't know about all areas; maybe Denton would have something in a vintage area.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
I think Denton has seen such an upsurge in population and people buying for rental properties that she won't find anything "nice" there for that price....and it is a good 25 min with light traffic---can be much longer at busy times...
And personally I hate making that drive from Hurst (Mid-Cities area) into Denton on I-35W
Our son and DIL lived there for past 3 yrs--but he went to UNT for BS/MS so we traveled that way many times...I just think Denton is a dirty town...
Construction, poor lighting and road surface, and people speeding make it worse than driving on surface roads from one part of MidCities to another...

Check out 600 W Pleasantview Dr in Hurst--2100 sq ft--3.2.2
This is listed for 209,500 and in about the only house in MidCities right now I find on a local RE agent's site that isn't under contract...
It is north of 121 and south of Harwood, between Precinct Line and Hurstview == and that is decent area from what I know casually...need a car since it really isn't "walkable"

The Mid-Cities has gotten just as popular/busy as Grapevine/Colleyville or anywhere else because so much of its housing is priced lower and HEB has decent schools for the price factor...not saying there aren't problems---but if you want a decent education and your kid does too, it can be had at HEB...

Old 03-08-2016, 06:09 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,883 times
Oakhurst is 76111, not 76106. Sorry for the confusion. It is a lovely neighborhood with older homes, but it is very "street by street." There is a very active neighborhood association. I have never heard of it being a high crime area though there are surely streets in the immediate surrounding area that are rougher. She may not like it at all but I think it is worth a quick look. It has long been one of my favorites.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:05 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,420 times
Thank you for all of the information, this is VERY helpful! My husband is going to talk to her about being more realistic with her wishlist, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth