Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:53 PM

134 posts, read 139,439 times

Advertisements

Meh, I get it. Part of my water bill every month is based on the communities overall water usage.

Yeah, some of you think OP needs to get a life, but at the same time why should people be allowed to break laws that effect everyone?

Good for OP. Hopefully the city does something considering the "Code Rangers" haven't. As a tax payer, I would want these "Code Rangers" to actually do their job and get situation fixed before a citizen has to get involved but in this case it seems they can't be bothered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 08:13 PM

641 posts, read 802,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandalay View Post
Exactly, get a life!

And mind your own business.
+100000

Live and let live.

Don't tread on me

Old 05-27-2016, 05:54 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyLebeau View Post
Meh, I get it. Part of my water bill every month is based on the communities overall water usage.

Yeah, some of you think OP needs to get a life, but at the same time why should people be allowed to break laws that effect everyone?

Good for OP. Hopefully the city does something considering the "Code Rangers" haven't. As a tax payer, I would want these "Code Rangers" to actually do their job and get situation fixed before a citizen has to get involved but in this case it seems they can't be bothered.
Can you please elaborate?

Old 05-27-2016, 03:57 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
I don't think the poster are reading this correctly.

If I saw a house that was watering illegally I would not care enough to report it BUT is someone has a sprinkler watering the street and only the street I would.

Sounds like the yard is so full that they are basically watering the street.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:37 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,179 times
Wow, lots of harsh replies here. Water restrictions are in place for a reason and when people abuse them it really effects everyone. It's easy to get complacent after all the rain we've had but not the right approach IMO. It's really something that you have to look beyond yourself and your own self interests. OP, it sounds like something you really felt strongly about and you let the authorities know. I'm sorry you got jumped all over on this forum where you have spent time giving other good advice.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:33 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,107 times
I have no problem with reporting it and moving on. Comparing not reporting it to ignoring a house fire and giving false information in the hopes that it will be taken more seriously is where it runs off the rails.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Some people don't get sarcasm I guess
And in San Antonio, a city where wasting water in poor watering/irrigation use is taken extremely seriously, my post wouldn't have been needed bcuz the neighbors around the house would either have "counseled" the offender or reported it themselves...
Our cities have made progress in water use control as recent newspaper story pointed out, but there is still room for major improvement since water is finite resource...

Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Can you please elaborate?
On what?

Old 06-17-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
+100000

Live and let live.

Don't tread on me
What happens when your "tread" affects me?

I'll give you your "tread" all day long...as long as you respect my "tread".

Old 07-03-2016, 12:03 PM

234 posts, read 288,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Some people don't get sarcasm I guess
And in San Antonio, a city where wasting water in poor watering/irrigation use is taken extremely seriously, my post wouldn't have been needed bcuz the neighbors around the house would either have "counseled" the offender or reported it themselves...
Our cities have made progress in water use control as recent newspaper story pointed out, but there is still room for major improvement since water is finite resource...
I understand exactly how you feel, and I would report it as well. We have severe natural resource problems all over this country including a problem with water. Everyone knows this. It is not a secret. The person who is watering the street is simply a selfish, irresponsible individual who has no sense of respect for his community. If your city Code Compliance officer has not put a stop to this, you should contact the office again and ask for the code officer's name and then ask to speak to his/her supervisor. The officer's job is to enforce city ordinances such as this one. If s/he is not doing so, then the matter should be taken up with the supervisor. If the problem continues unabated, then you should lodge a complaint with the mayor's office.

Despite what some people have implied, this is not a trivial issue. It is a matter that effects everyone, and you are doing your civic duty by reporting it and following up on it. Be sure to take photos of it to show to the officials, too!

I have experienced problems with various code violations in my own neighbourhood, too. For example, someone in the neighbourhood has been parking a HUGE eighteen wheeler in the neighbourhood. I have reported it numerous times on and off over the last three years, yet the problem continues. Police tell me that calls are prioritised (naturally), and by the time officers come out (sometimes it takes two and three days for them to come out and usually it is during the afternoon), the miscreant is gone. Police told me recently to report the problem to Code Compliance, and I have done so. Code told me that they would also report the problem to the police if they catch the eighteen wheeler parked in the neighbourhood again. I *think* the owner/driver may have finally been caught as I have not seen the vehicle parked in the neighbourhood for a few days, but he may just be out of town on a long haul. Rest assured if I see the vehicle in the neighbourhood in future, I will follow up.

I did not know where these drivers are supposed to park their trucks, but I did a bit of research and found out that there are commercial sites for parking these vehicles. A good, well lighted parking area with some level of security will cost about $200 or more per month. I calculate that for the three years I have lived in this area, the driver has saved at least $7,200 in parking fees not to mention transportation to and from the parking area. Meanwhilst, the streets around here are crumbling from the weight of that vehicle driving on them. The city has come out several times in the last three years to patch up the pot holes on the corner. This spring the street in front of my house has cracked and broken up in big chunks. The tax payers pay for all of this so this driver/owner can save $200 a month or better in parking fees! We all have costs associated with our work, why should the rest of the community absorb the costs associated with this man's work? Also, why should anyone come out of his/her home to a view of an eighteen wheeler parked in the neighbourhood? Why should anyone have to hear the loud rumblings of a huge eighteen wheeler coming and going in the early morning hours and in the evenings? This is a residential area not a commercial truck park.

The example of the eighteen wheeler is just one more instance of how some people have no respect for the greater community and the greater good. I also see some people allowing their cats and dogs to roam the neighbourhood and allowing vehicles to leak tremendous amounts of oil onto the street which then gets washed off into the storm sewers and then into our natural waters. This is selfish, irresponsible behaviour that should not be tolerated by the community. It is a shame that there are not more people like you who have respect for the community and for the greater issue of dwindling natural resources in this country and all over the world. I will not leave behind any children, but for the millions who will do, what are we leaving them? Natural resources are not boundless. Think of how animals such as the buffalo were hunted to extinction. Think of how we are scrambling to find alternatives to fossil fuel. Think of the pollution of our oceans that are killing ocean life and causing commercial fishers to sail further and further out in order to catch fish that are safe to eat, and this in turn is what drives up the cost of fish in our markets. Who pays the price for all of these things? WE ALL DO! This water problem in your neighbourhood is no different.

Thank you for caring about the greater good. I wish there were more people like you in my community and all communities. For those posters who told you were "being nosy" and to "get a life," etc., they have identified themselves as the same sort of selfish, irresponsible people as the one you reported. Please keep up your good work!

Last edited by the_little_truth_writer; 07-03-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth