Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 03:22 PM

19 posts, read 16,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
The Woodlands?
Conroe?

I'm not super familiar with Houston, but those seemed like nice areas...

"Seemed" yeah....there and spring, tx. Not sure if you've recently been but there have been cuts to Harris Co. law enforcement and just a surge in crime, my parents house has been broken into at least twice and because of widespread robberies in the neighborhood, many long time residents left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 03:17 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,586,530 times
The thing with DFW is that you can find exactly what you are looking for, but it may take quite some time to find it. There are pockets of houses with large lots that afford you the privacy you seek and that are not too terribly far from your interests.

The problem is knowing where to look to find if any of these are for sale when you want to buy.

As an example, I live in North Richland Hills which is the 3rd largest city in Tarrant County with around 67,000 people. We have about 18 square miles. We have it all within our city when it comes to houses....and I mean all.

On your zillow search check out zip code 76182 and you may find some of those houses I know are there, though I don't think any are for sale at the moment.

Edited to ad: A quick search found this one on zillow...but I didn't look further.
6825 Smithfield Rd, North Richland Hills, TX 76182

Old 08-06-2016, 04:18 PM

23,980 posts, read 10,333,050 times
Time to set priorities - acreage, close to downtown? Take your pick less you have money to spend and 500k will not cut it.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Time to set priorities - acreage, close to downtown? Take your pick less you have money to spend and 500k will not cut it.
the more we are looking we are identifying priorities - we want privacy (whether or not that comes with acreage) and close to downtown (preferably FW). We've lowered the acrage amount but are nixing any houses that you see neighbors. We've found a fixer upper in Colleyville on Zillow for 330K (paying for the land and we are all right with that) but the house is in the middle of the plot behind trees and surrounded by trees which is ideal. Will continue to see how our priorities shift as we continue the search.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
The thing with DFW is that you can find exactly what you are looking for, but it may take quite some time to find it. There are pockets of houses with large lots that afford you the privacy you seek and that are not too terribly far from your interests.

The problem is knowing where to look to find if any of these are for sale when you want to buy.

As an example, I live in North Richland Hills which is the 3rd largest city in Tarrant County with around 67,000 people. We have about 18 square miles. We have it all within our city when it comes to houses....and I mean all.

On your zillow search check out zip code 76182 and you may find some of those houses I know are there, though I don't think any are for sale at the moment.

Edited to ad: A quick search found this one on zillow...but I didn't look further.
6825 Smithfield Rd, North Richland Hills, TX 76182
stunning lot and love the large working space and small home, we're not looking for mcmansion just a roof but that roof needs to be on a good lot. but that price is a bit steep. it's difficult not being there, we plan on visiting in December but if something pops up we don't want to lose it.

in DC, apartments pop up on craigslist and disappear within a day or two. we'd be willing to fly out if the perfect home at least was listed.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:07 AM

275 posts, read 467,864 times
They also have what they call oversized lots here which are 1/2 acre. We looked at some in Burleson in the 340k range. I live west of fort worth and have acreage. I can make it to dt ft in 25 minutes as long as traffic is not horrendous. I think you may be able to find the acreage you want. One thing I would advise of is wherever you buy, try to get an idea of what the utilities are. Water here can be very expensive. Maybe ask to see some of the utility bills. Not sure if you ever heard of smart meters but they are popping up around here. Another thing to watch out for is the foundation. A lot of people have foundation issues down here.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,176,989 times
If you want an acre lot within the middle of the Metroplex I would consider the tiny town of Dalworthington Gardens which is located in Arlington city limits. It's a former farming town established by Eleanor Roosevelt where you can find people walking riding their horses on the streets when the weather is nice. It's also right in between downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth which opens your options wide open for taking advantage of the arts in both cities and federal jobs in both cities. The taxes are low and the crime rate is extremely low. The DPS monitors the residents' alarms for free.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:21 AM

20 posts, read 23,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeca778 View Post
the more we are looking we are identifying priorities - we want privacy (whether or not that comes with acreage) and close to downtown (preferably FW). We've lowered the acrage amount but are nixing any houses that you see neighbors. We've found a fixer upper in Colleyville on Zillow for 330K (paying for the land and we are all right with that) but the house is in the middle of the plot behind trees and surrounded by trees which is ideal. Will continue to see how our priorities shift as we continue the search.
I think if you come down and visit you will see that this may be an issue you have to reconsider. I live on 2 acres between Burleson and Mansfield, and all of the houses around me are on lots of 2 acres or more. From my front yard, I can see four houses (and directly across the street is a pasture with horses). From my backyard, I can see three houses. Even houses on 5-10 acres can still see their neighbors usually. We have a good number of trees but not enough to hide every house!

Based on what you're wanting, I recommend looking at Burleson and surrounding areas (zip codes 76028, 76140, 76036) and Aledo and surrounding areas (zip code 76008). Keep in mind that if you get a good-sized lot, you may also be on septic and/or well water. I have community water and septic, and I'm not really in a neighborhood. A friend nearby is in a new development of 1 acre lots (where they see all their neighbors by the way) and has a well and septic.

As for mature trees -- In the older sections of Fort Worth, there are BEAUTIFUL, mature trees, but a house with a secluded, large lot will be very expensive. When you get out of the city, you start to see a lot of pasture and some mature trees. On my two acres, I have about 15 trees; the pasture across the street had one large tree that was recently lost in a thunderstorm. The further west you go, the fewer trees you will see.

The drive from my house to downtown Ft. Worth is about 20 miles/30 minutes without traffic. And traffic in FW is much better than Dallas or Houston! Traffic in north FW and northeast Tarrant County is pretty rough though.

Ft. Worth is a great city! I grew up in Ft. Worth and have lived in many parts of the DFW area. Visiting and getting a feel for the area as a whole and the different, unique areas will help you tremendously.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:48 AM

you all are helping so much! I was talking to my husband and we're researching and adding foundation/septic/utilities to list of considerations.

we are doing our sliding scale of priorities and acrage/privacy/trees continue to win out so we are considering outside cities like Aledo and Waxahachie.

this was our favorite http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/28...27349247_zpid/ - amazing lot, house doesn't matter, and reasonable access to both D/FW downtowns.

we also found this awesome listing in Colleyville: good price, privacy based on the satellite view, and house doesn't matter http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/72...28996425_zpid/

I think as we do more research, we will likely have to get an agent, so bummed we are not there to visit the homes but on we go! keep the recs coming!

Old 08-08-2016, 10:02 AM

@tcualum

ah, that sounds amazing but I checked prices and ouch! but will continue to monitor. and yes, we are looking for something north or south between the two cities. and we are all right with commuting, 40ish minutes is okay for us, just looking for that acrage/privacy now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth