Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 06:45 AM

6 posts, read 9,419 times

Advertisements

I have gathered that these areas are different. We are possibly moving for my husband to work at Lockheed in White Settlement. We have 2 school aged children and are coming from an AMAZING school district. Our budget is around 350k.

What are the pro/cons to both areas? We have never been to TX and would like to move to place that it would be easy to make friends and get adjusted fairly quickly.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 07:15 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,184,669 times
A very good friend of mine lives in Aledo and I visit her family often. She has two school aged kids - one in Jr High and one high school. So I'll give my perspective in Aledo (not sure about Keller).

Aledo's school district does seem amazing. My friends' kids love the school and are very involved. It seems like everyone in Aledo has at least one child!

The home prices in Aledo seem pretty reasonable. Not fabulous but reasonable. I'm pretty sure the property taxes are massive considering the quality of the construction of the various schools, not to mention the other costs of the school district.

Which is apparently where nearly all the property taxes go to, because the town itself has zero charm. Zero. The terrain is not pretty, the town is not pretty, the neighborhoods are not even particularly pretty because no matter what sort of home you build, it's still in an area that to me, frankly, is ugly.

That being said, Aledo is a very short, convenient drive to Fort Worth and all it has to offer, and Fort Worth is my very favorite Texas city.

So it's a trade off. Long story short, if I had school aged kids, I'd probably seriously consider Aledo in spite of the unattractiveness of the town itself.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:06 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,171,798 times
The traffic getting out of Aledo is better than Keller. The traffic getting out of Keller is absolutely awful.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:05 AM

11,816 posts, read 26,653,817 times
I agree that Aledo is a lot better for commuting to Lockheed than Keller.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:50 PM

Traffic aside, which is easier to make friends. Is one farther away from stores and activities (gymnastics, tennis, golf, etc)? I would like our kids to move into an area that has a lot of transition, I do not want them to stick out too much for being new.

Thanks for your advice

Old 04-11-2017, 02:53 PM

663 posts, read 1,717,221 times
I'm curious how you came up with these two? Keller is brutally far from Lockheed when you factor in traffic. Aledo is a great school district but you're going to be driving into Fort Worth or Weatherford for any real shopping, dining, etc. Both areas have a lot of transition. You won't stick out for being new. Keller has a lot more retail and IMHO a far better park system than Aledo. I don't think either really checks off all of your boxes, but both cover most of them. If you're strictly looking at stores and activities, Keller has the significant advantage. My girlfriend recently left Aledo and all of the non-school extracurriculars her daughter did (dance, gymnastics, etc) were in Fort Worth. Aledo also doesn't have the city parks and pools that Keller does.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:20 PM

I have just been researching school systems, it's really like throwing a dart and hoping it hits the mark. We will need to come visit and drive through all the different areas.

I have also read a bunch of threads on this forum and Keller constantly comes up as a great place to live.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:42 PM

540 posts, read 1,099,527 times
So, I live in the Aledo school district, a little ways west of the actual "town."

Keller and Aledo are extremely different.

I often call Aledo "rural suburbia". There are many subdivisions (and more every day) and until recently, in general, you get larger lots in Aledo. Our home is on a half acre lot. The newer subdivisions vary on this and several have the much smaller lots that you see in the other areas. No, there is not much to the "town." A handful of small stores, a couple banks, etc. We have a Sonic and a Subway and a pizza chain. But for groceries, your options are Brookshire's (in Willow Park, along I-20), Super Walmart at Hudson Oaks (again, along I-20), or in Fort Worth or Weatherford. An HEB has been announced for Hudson Oaks, but construction has not yet started. Each of those is 15-20 minutes away from me. But, if you live closer to I-20, then they are closer. As to the school...yes, it seems to be a great school system. I don't have kids myself, but many, many, many in my neighborhood and new neighbors that move in consistently say part of the reason they wanted Aledo was the schools.

Aledo school district is growing. A lot. But, there are still properties with acreage out here. I routinely see cows, horses, burros, and alpacas when driving from Aledo to anywhere else. I personally think the area is still pretty. Not "scenic Rocky Mountains" pretty, but I'll take Aledo over claustrophobic north fort worth every day.

So...Keller...to be honest, I am rarely up that way. But if you don't think you can be happy being somewhat removed from stores and restaurants, then Keller is a better bet for you. It doesn't bother me to drive 20 minutes to get to Home Depot, etc. It doesn't bother me to drive 25 minutes to get to the mall. For some people, this is a complete no-go. It all depends on what you want and what you are used to.

That said, I think the Aledo area would be a significantly better commute. However, for activities such as dance or gymnastics, you would be driving into Fort Worth for those most likely.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:49 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,518,989 times
We lived in Aledo for 6 years and now live in Colleyville (near Keller). Many Lockheed commuters in both places. As far as schools- i would not use the word "amazing" but I wouldn't use it for the schools we are in now, either. Now, i/my family are happier here in Cville and I think the schools are better for sure but "amazing?" No. Haven't been exposed to that. I would say "good" in Aledo iSD and "great" here in GCISD. But amazing- eh, maybe I'm just old fashioned and certain things have to happen before I use that word.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,480,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrawga View Post
Traffic aside, which is easier to make friends. Is one farther away from stores and activities (gymnastics, tennis, golf, etc)? I would like our kids to move into an area that has a lot of transition, I do not want them to stick out too much for being new.

Thanks for your advice
Check Google maps
Personally I think Keller has better location for retail possibilities because Aledo has no real town center and subdivisions are fairly spread out--
The Aledo ISD is large geo zone although it has fewer schools/students than Keller ISD

I think both of them probably have decent amount of people moving into the area --
The issue is whether your neighborhood itself might be fairly stable

If you choose a NEW subdivision then obviously all homeowners are going to be new neighbors to each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth